Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2009, 06:43 PM

8,237 posts, read 13,510,143 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pink caddy View Post
Just checked HD for tankless 50gal $298.

I just did the following: (reading from the invoice)

Provide and install new 40 gal hot water heater
Install new valves (had every cutoff valve changed in house)
Install all new connections to meet code (change from crappy to code)
Remove old toilet and install new 12" rough size white toilet and seat
Install new shower head
All materials and labor $1400

Your invoice would increase for a 50 gallon, it says 40.
Also, permitting and inspection isn't listed on there. In Mecklenburg County WH installs and change-outs have to be permitted and inspected. (or that was the rule through 2008)

Having worked in construction, primarily plumbing, I would recommend not get to excited about labor costs you get from Lowe's or HD. That is a straight change-out, pull out and put back in. If you need additional piping etc...that will charge big-time for that. We had many people tell us horror stories.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2009, 02:16 AM

7,126 posts, read 11,696,751 times
Sorry. My mistake as I read too fast and missed the work "tankless".

FWIW---with the cost of unit, installation and enegy costs combined I doubt the savings over conventional amount to more than 1-3% per year.

Old 09-17-2009, 04:49 AM

4,010 posts, read 10,206,112 times
Opps. I guess I have not looked at hot water heaters in a while. Last time I paid attention to them you could get a 50 gallon gas unit for about $150. Looks like it's more like $300 now. That's a pretty good run up in price in about a decade's time.

For a whole house system I don't think there will be enough savings in energy to go the tankless route even though you see shows like TOH pushing them as somehow going green. Holding costs for water in a heater are miniscule compared to heating the water to temp in the first place and that will cost the same. I can see where a small unit dedicated to one room might be a bargain however if you were doing some kind of addition or rennovation.

Unless they have radically changed the technology over what I have now, I would prefer a 50 gallon old fashioned tank for this reason. They don't require electricity. So if the power is out for an extended time you have hot water regardless. My understanding is you have to plug in a tankless unit and hence, you are OL if there is no power. I know, probably not a huge concern, but I really missed hot water in my all electric house at the time when Hugo blew through here.

Old 09-17-2009, 08:55 AM

6 posts, read 11,517 times
I just had a tankless installed a couple of weeks ago, and I am very happy. Benjamin Franklin did the work for us. We have a Rennai. Not only will we get the tax credit, but we also let our gas company know (Piedmont); they will be sending us a check (I think $250) as well!! Our water heater was in our garage; we had 2 tank heaters in the 10 years we've lived in this house - both have failed! We bought our house brand new, so this was very disappointing. We did find that we had a pressure problem (too high), so Ben Franklin did install a new pressure regulator.

We live in Union County; the installation did have to be inspected by the county. With this unit, there is no fear of running out of hot water; we could turn on the hot water on a Friday, leave for the weekend, and on Monday, it would still be running hot. I have no problem showering, running the dishwasher and the clothes washer at the same time.

It was a great experience; I would highly recommend it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte