U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2016, 10:02 PM

2,870 posts, read 1,657,498 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisyschic View Post
I didn't realize so many people were moving to Charlotte. I had no idea to be honest. I thought overall it was an average city. If that is the case then it sounds like the city is doing very well then, overall then. We used to live in Ohio, and have come to find out that N.C. is very similar to Ohio, in many ways, (not geographically of course). My bf will hopefully be the main bread and butter for our finances so we were thinking that Charlotte would be a good place for IT work.
Charlotte is the second fastest growing city in the country. Rental and home prices are climbing fast. So is the amount of traffic. I commute from near the center of the city to south Charlotte and I pity the mass of people driving into Charlotte from South Carolina. It's even worse in the afternoon when they're all heading back.

Rock Hill is an alright little city. Home and rental prices are still reasonable there, but it's a good distance from Charlotte, even when the traffic is clear. If you have to commute to south Charlotte, then maybe Rock Hill wouldn't be a bad option, but if you have to go anywhere north of that, then forget it. If your BF works in IT, he might find something in south Charlotte, but he could end up in University City and that commute would be a nightmare. Or he could find something in Fort Mill and he wouldn't even have to come into North Carolina.

So to your question about commuting to Charlotte from Rock Hill, the answer really is: to what part of Charlotte? By area, Charlotte is a sprawling city. The city takes up over half the county. Commuting from one side of Charlotte to the other is like driving to another city. This is really something that you and your BF need to consider.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2016, 04:49 AM

5,869 posts, read 7,703,331 times
I think Charlotte is considered an ok city for IT. Raleigh might be a little better, and rents would be about the same.

$750 is definitely on the low end for something in a decent area. I'd probably be weary of anything under $700. But Rock Hill is probably a decent place to look to find something less than a lot of Charlotte if you don't mind a commute, although Rock Hill certainly has some areas better than others, so be sure to check reviews and visit in person. Depending on where in Rock Hill and assuming a job in uptown, I'd guess you'd be looking at a commute somewhere in the neighborhood of 45 minutes at rush hour.

Old 10-30-2016, 05:33 AM

1,764 posts, read 2,738,316 times
The question would be where in Charlotte would in Charlotte be. The central area is only one possibility. There are IT jobs in the suburbs as well. I would not wish the Rock Hill commute on anyone - yes you may find a cheaper apartment but you will pay more for gas and car upkeep. Why Rock Hill? It's not the only place near Charlotte with cheap apartments. I know someone in Garner near Gastonia who has a very inexpensive apartment and who commutes to Charlotte.

Old 10-30-2016, 05:42 AM

1,508 posts, read 2,470,396 times
Well really, every commute from any county adjacent to Charlotte is a pain. The OP is probably accepting the sacrifice at first until they can get their jobs and savings into a more secure state and consider convenience more strongly for their next move.

I would not rate the commute from Rock Hill, Gastonia, Monroe, or Concord any better.

Old 10-30-2016, 06:48 AM

29,716 posts, read 27,143,552 times
I'm trying to figure out why no one referred the OP to the more appropriate forum yet: http://www.city-data.com/forum/york-lancaster-counties/

Old 10-30-2016, 08:58 AM

124 posts, read 87,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
I think Charlotte is considered an ok city for IT. Raleigh might be a little better, and rents would be about the same.

$750 is definitely on the low end for something in a decent area. I'd probably be weary of anything under $700. But Rock Hill is probably a decent place to look to find something less than a lot of Charlotte if you don't mind a commute, although Rock Hill certainly has some areas better than others, so be sure to check reviews and visit in person. Depending on where in Rock Hill and assuming a job in uptown, I'd guess you'd be looking at a commute somewhere in the neighborhood of 45 minutes at rush hour.
We didn't think about that Raleigh is a smaller city compared to Charlotte correct? And the commute times may not be as bad? I want to say that nothing is concrete right now. We currently live in Austin, my bf just graduated from college in May from Bowling Green (Ohio) we thought that Austin would be a way to get away from the brutal winters in Ohio, but the jobs here are highly competitive and he is constantly doing contract jobs (very unstable work), but the cost of living here is crazy. I will say we love the weather here and the outdoors, we really love San Antonio. But the jobs here don't want to pay anything at all. I mean the most we have made here is $14/hr and we have made friends who moved here from Idaho and he and his wife has been 10 years and he said the jobs here are getting worse and worse while everything is dramatically going up. He is planning on moving away early next year and many people here are starting to move away from Austin.

To give an illustration of the cost of living milk and bread are both over $3.00, the rent here are averaging $1k a month and we are paying $1.1k a month with an expected increase of $1.4k a month next year. There is no way we can afford that, so we are looking to move before our rent gets even worse.

Old 10-30-2016, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean_CLT View Post
Well really, every commute from any county adjacent to Charlotte is a pain. The OP is probably accepting the sacrifice at first until they can get their jobs and savings into a more secure state and consider convenience more strongly for their next move.

I would not rate the commute from Rock Hill, Gastonia, Monroe, or Concord any better.
Agreed, we had a friend that lived in Gastonia and that area seemed pretty nice overall. She stated that the commute times were low like 20-25 minutes to her work in Charlotte. But this time when checking out rents and taxes we thought that South Carolina would be cheaper to live in first than living in North Carolina.

Old 10-30-2016, 10:50 AM

1,985 posts, read 1,384,237 times
Cost of Living Calculator - Cost of Living Comparison Index Tool

The cost of living is pretty comparable according to bankrate.com.

Equivalent income in the city you are moving to: $50208.33.
Percent increase to maintain standard of living: 0.42%.

Read more: http://www.bankrate.com/calculators/...#ixzz4OaWSE4zw

Old 10-30-2016, 11:00 AM

21,873 posts, read 27,138,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daisyschic View Post
Agreed, we had a friend that lived in Gastonia and that area seemed pretty nice overall. She stated that the commute times were low like 20-25 minutes to her work in Charlotte. But this time when checking out rents and taxes we thought that South Carolina would be cheaper to live in first than living in North Carolina.
I live just west of Gastonia. The trick to travel time differences is that there are two viable routes, I 85 & US 74, into Charlotte. If there's an accident, there is an alternative, I 85 or US 74. Granted, from Rock Hill, you could take 321 to Gastonia to pick up I 85, but when you look at a map, that's something that could only be done in case of emergency.

As to your complaint about the price of groceries, I'd suggest that you look at supermarket websites to see sales flyers. Milk prices are regulated by the states. Bread prices vary by the type of bread as well as the store. Those are items that you won't get much feedback on that will mean much to you.

I'd suggest that you plug in your jobs on Indeed. Use Charlotte, Rock Hill, Gastonia, & Concord. See where you're likely to get a job.

Old 10-30-2016, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
I live just west of Gastonia. The trick to travel time differences is that there are two viable routes, I 85 & US 74, into Charlotte. If there's an accident, there is an alternative, I 85 or US 74. Granted, from Rock Hill, you could take 321 to Gastonia to pick up I 85, but when you look at a map, that's something that could only be done in case of emergency.

As to your complaint about the price of groceries, I'd suggest that you look at supermarket websites to see sales flyers. Milk prices are regulated by the states. Bread prices vary by the type of bread as well as the store. Those are items that you won't get much feedback on that will mean much to you.

I'd suggest that you plug in your jobs on Indeed. Use Charlotte, Rock Hill, Gastonia, & Concord. See where you're likely to get a job.
I was comparing store brand breads and milk. For example back home we could get either Kroger brand or Meijer brand bread and buns for either less than a $1.00 or right at $1.00, when we moved here we didn't have those options to shop at and thus, the stores here are more expensive (for ex HEB, Randall's) On the jobs part we don't have to be in Charlotte, just the climate is what were really looking at.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte