U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2016, 11:10 AM

170 posts, read 197,550 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBGNCSU05 View Post
We bought our last car from CarMax and had a great experience. The price was ~$500 over NADA Clean Retail, but we were in and out of the dealership in a matter of hours. The only thing they were pushy about was their extended warranty (which is how the sales associates make most of their commission).
Carmax is the biggest ripoff of them all. I used to work at a dealership and Carmax with their "set" price gives you the feeling that you got a good deal but in reality you end up thousands more than at a regular dealership where you have to haggle a bit. Most customers that buy a brand new car are in and out in under 2 hours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2016, 11:23 AM

1,985 posts, read 1,386,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HopefullyMoving View Post
Carmax is the biggest ripoff of them all. I used to work at a dealership and Carmax with their "set" price gives you the feeling that you got a good deal but in reality you end up thousands more than at a regular dealership where you have to haggle a bit. Most customers that buy a brand new car are in and out in under 2 hours.
This isn't true in all cases. I would never trade in a car to Car Max vs. selling on my own, but purchasing used they often beat dealerships even after the haggle/walk out treatment. As with all things- it depends. Time and hassle carries a cost too.

Old 11-01-2016, 11:29 AM

170 posts, read 197,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Essequamvideri View Post
This isn't true in all cases. I would never trade in a car to Car Max vs. selling on my own, but purchasing used they often beat dealerships even after the haggle/walk out treatment. As with all things- it depends. Time and hassle carries a cost too.
It's actually the exact opposite. They actually are able to offer you a higher trade-in value for your car because they sell cars for more. I worked in the auto industry and even the sales people at Carmax didn't let their family buy their cars from Carmax. 99% of the time you end up paying more than you need to at Carmax.

Old 11-01-2016, 11:37 AM

6 posts, read 2,426 times
Quote:
+1 in my experience CarMax is a huge rip-off. I've seen used cars there at higher prices than new models with more options at regular dealers. Specifically, a 2014 base focus ST for around $25K when you can get a fully optioned out brand new focus ST for around $25K after dealer rebates and incentives are factored in.

To each there own and I realize that convenience and time is a factor but I will never purchase a car from CarMax as they are definitely priced thousands more than what you could get if you put in some research time. Additionally, they offer VERY low trade values if you're "selling" them your old car.

Old 11-01-2016, 03:42 PM

1,508 posts, read 2,472,848 times
The reason used cars can sell for such high prices is very lenient financing to people with scratchy credit. Buy-here-pay-here used car sales, was one of the financing types exempt from Dodd-Frank. Usually a new car dealer will quickly broker their notes to a regular bank, so the standards need to be a smidge better.

Old 11-01-2016, 05:47 PM
LLN

4,977 posts, read 8,724,347 times
I don't go to a house, spelled haus or to a country kitchen spelled kountry kitchen. It just ain't right! Or anything ending in z instead of s! Period.

Old 11-02-2016, 09:25 AM

2,144 posts, read 2,614,907 times
CarMax has one of the best extended warranties in the business however. So, go buy that POS Range Rover or Jaguar and enjoy!

Old 11-02-2016, 01:54 PM

2,198 posts, read 2,226,894 times
Go to cars.com,

find a 4-door or coupe 2011 BMW 3 series with less than 50k miles,

Find a good independent mechanic (city-data or bimmerfest),

And for $15,000 you can buy what will be your favorite car ever!

In 2012, all BMWs switched to phony-feeling electric steering. Now even a $90,000 BMW drives like a Toyota.

My 2011 328i tells me it needs something serviced and maintence costs are on par with main brands.

Just go drive one, you'll love how they drive.

Old 11-02-2016, 02:10 PM

1,985 posts, read 1,386,830 times
Quote:
It's actually the exact opposite. They actually are able to offer you a higher trade-in value for your car because they sell cars for more. I worked in the auto industry and even the sales people at Carmax didn't let their family buy their cars from Carmax. 99% of the time you end up paying more than you need to at Carmax.

I think you're right for some scenarios, but not for mine. Maybe I fall in the 1% group?

I was paying cash and shopping for a specific car (2012 CR-V EX with less than 30k miles) and ended up at CarMax after haggling all over town. If I was financing I think they could have worked with me more. I was transparent and let them know what I was willing to pay...never thought CarMax would have been the best deal but it was. I agree it's not true in most cases. With a high volume selling car like the CR-V, the dealers just weren't willing to come down on cars with clean car faxes.

I think an educated buyer purchasing from private sellers will make the best deals.

Old 12-03-2016, 05:59 PM

7,183 posts, read 11,206,413 times
Default UPDATE - Closed

Drove past the Auto House lot in Mooresville today and it was empty, plus they had a sign out front advertising "For Sale".

Verified by this article on WSOC-TV:

Action 9: Used car dealership 'For Sale' after accusations of mislabeling | WSOC-TV

Couldn't have happened to a better bunch of people. Good riddance!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte