Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2008, 12:10 AM

2 posts, read 4,374 times

Advertisements

We just recently moved to Charlotte, NC and are starting to look at houses in the Monroe area. I currently work in Matthews by 51. I know the commute on 74 can be really bad if you are going farther north, but how about if I want to stop in Matthews? Or is there another good way to get to Matthews, I have been told to avoid 74 at all costs. Our other option might be Rock Hill area but I know 77 to 485 can be a pain.

Thank for any advice you can give me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2008, 05:49 AM

1,456 posts, read 4,144,186 times
I'm not really familiar with the routes you're asking about, but I'll use this as an excuse to post my views on traffic.

If 74 is sooo bad that it should be avoided at all costs, why do so many people drive it? Answer: even with all the traffic, it's still the quickest way from point A to point B. Now, I don't know if this is true in this case or not, but I usually find that when people warn others about heavily travelled routes there's a reason that so many people take that route. If there were a better one, that's where the traffic would be.

My solution? I leave early enough that I'm never in a hurry. I have CD's and an iPod. I use the time to enjoy my favorite music and ponder life's big mysteries.

In other news... I love your user name. Go Tigers!

Old 04-13-2008, 07:18 AM

513 posts, read 2,112,034 times
It really depends on where you are in Monroe. There are lots of back roads. You could take Secrest Shortcut Rd which runs into Idlewild into Matthews, or take 601 to Lawyers Rd. Traffic on 74 is bad, but Monroe to Matthews isn't a very long ride. Go to googlemaps.com and just type in Highway 74, Monroe, NC and you will see all the options. Out of curiousity, why not just look for homes in Matthews or Indian Trail areas - someplace closer?

Old 04-13-2008, 08:02 AM

2 posts, read 4,374 times
We are looking all around the area. I really didn't think it would take too long to get to Matthews I just wanted to make sure. If we do move there I look forward to finding back roads to get to Matthews. We are looking in Matthews and Indian Trail and the surrounding areas too. I hear about the traffic on 74, but I never driven through it first hand.

Also, since I am fresh out of college it seems that there are more houses in the Monroe area in our price range than the others. I am really open to anything on the south side of Charlotte, our only concern is that we want a nice yard and quality schools near by.

Thanks for the input so far.

Old 04-15-2008, 01:27 PM

39 posts, read 111,783 times
The commute to Matthews isn't too bad. Nothing like going to Charlotte.

Old 04-15-2008, 07:00 PM

529 posts, read 1,979,372 times
It is pretty easy... unless there is an accident. The side (north or south) of 74 make a lot of difference. More options on the north side with Secrest Short Cut and Lawyers, and various other roads that cut through.

Old 04-15-2008, 07:05 PM

46 posts, read 210,971 times
My commute from Matthews to Monroe only takes 20 mins.

Old Monroe Road, up Sardis Church to Secrest Shortcut- takes you right into Monroe.

Where in Matthews are you headed?

Old 05-23-2008, 12:30 AM

12 posts, read 31,895 times
Default Commute from Monroe to Matthews

30 minutes, tops.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte