U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 01:12 PM

26 posts, read 70,454 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
I will be relocating to the Charlotte area in August 2008. That is, assuming I can sell my house in New Jersey and was wondering which area would be better to live in for a newcomer. I am looking to rent first and can afford to spend about $1,300 a month. I have two children so a good school is important. Also I work for the federal government and assume my job will be located around other federal agencies. The office is a new one and that is why I do not have an exact address. I would love to commute no more than 45 minutes. That would be a luxury compared to the the 2 hour (each way)commute I do now. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2008, 01:16 PM

2,560 posts, read 7,721,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ma2181 View Post
Hi all,
I will be relocating to the Charlotte area in August 2008. That is, assuming I can sell my house in New Jersey and was wondering which area would be better to live in for a newcomer. I am looking to rent first and can afford to spend about $1,300 a month. I have two children so a good school is important. Also I work for the federal government and assume my job will be located around other federal agencies. The office is a new one and that is why I do not have an exact address. I would love to commute no more than 45 minutes. That would be a luxury compared to the the 2 hour (each way)commute I do now. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Best advice would be to visit both. Opions are very biased. Northside poeple prefer Huntersville and Southside people prefer Ballantyne area.

Commute from Huntersville to Uptown is easier than Ballantyne to Uptown.

GOOD LUCK!

Old 02-25-2008, 02:45 PM

thank you....i did visit Ballantyne last summer and will visit Huntersville this summer.

Old 02-25-2008, 02:52 PM

45,269 posts, read 88,579,855 times
Quote:
thank you....i did visit Ballantyne last summer and will visit Huntersville this summer.
Public schools tend to be better in the south end - so do your homework if you decide on Huntersville. It is a nice town though, and your commute, no matter which end you chose will be much better than where you are coming from!

Old 02-25-2008, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Public schools tend to be better in the south end - so do your homework if you decide on Huntersville. It is a nice town though, and your commute, no matter which end you chose will be much better than where you are coming from!
Thank you for the reply. My 4 hour round trip commute has left me exhausted. My wife and I feel in love with the area. I am really looking forward to the move and hoping I can unload my house by August.

Old 02-26-2008, 09:18 AM

1,907 posts, read 4,455,028 times
Quote:
Thank you for the reply. My 4 hour round trip commute has left me exhausted. My wife and I feel in love with the area. I am really looking forward to the move and hoping I can unload my house by August.
Where, in Jersey, do you live? I lived in Kearny many,many years ago and have family in Bricktown and Flemington. We have lived in the Ballantyne area since moving to N.C. 6 months ago. We love it. We rented in "Post" Ballantyne untill we found our home a couple of miles away. Our children love the schools and the neighborhood. Can't compare it to Huntersville, as we have never been there. Good Luck

Old 02-26-2008, 09:24 AM

Depends on what you like too. If you like lakes, Huntersville is the place to be. Lake Norman (the largest lake in NC) is there and Mountain Island Lake (Charlotte's best secret gem) borders Huntersville too.

The Ballantyne are has Lake Wylie nearby but is at least a 20 plus minute commute so not really close to water.

Can't go wrong with either location!

Old 02-26-2008, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doorway View Post
Where, in Jersey, do you live? I lived in Kearny many,many years ago and have family in Bricktown and Flemington. We have lived in the Ballantyne area since moving to N.C. 6 months ago. We love it. We rented in "Post" Ballantyne untill we found our home a couple of miles away. Our children love the schools and the neighborhood. Can't compare it to Huntersville, as we have never been there. Good Luck
We live in Hamilton New Jersey which is located in Mercer County. We love the area but are ready for a change. Did you like living in Post Ballantyne? It is one of the rentals we are considering.

Old 02-26-2008, 09:51 AM

Quote:
We live in Hamilton New Jersey which is located in Mercer County. We love the area but are ready for a change. Did you like living in Post Ballantyne? It is one of the rentals we are considering.
Don't mean to chime in...but we use to live in Post Gateway Place in Uptown Charlotte. ALL Post apartments are GREAT. Luxury all the way. You have to pay higher prices but you get what you pay for.

Haven't seen Post Ballantyne...but just to have the Post name they have to be nice!

There is also Post Phillips Place in South Park!

GOOD LUCK!

Old 02-26-2008, 10:43 AM

457 posts, read 1,229,506 times
You may want to check out Promenade Apartments too, I relocated from NJ last October, and love the Promenade. Very Clean, office seems well run, convenient to many retail and food stores. Located on Ballantyne-Commons Pkwy..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte