U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 10:24 PM

1,117 posts, read 2,453,220 times

Advertisements

Surely it doesn't have to be a one-size-fits-all approach....something that is multi-tiered would the obvious solution. Those who use the facility should ultimately pay more than those who do not, but their loyalty should also be rewarded with a lower unit cost.

A sliding-scale of fees with annual, seasonal, monthly and daily passes.....or perhaps cheaper pre-loaded cards that have "10 stays" on them.

I'm sure the powers-that-be have considered all this already.

A parking 'validation' scheme would at least allow the center to collect income from those visitors who aren't going to be spending any other money there.....the WWC must not believe that this would generate enough funds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2008, 10:34 PM

22,974 posts, read 58,489,887 times
besides the 5 dollar parking is a small fee to pay they are coming out with a $35 dollar season pass to be used instead.
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/coastal-north-carolina/"]Coastal [/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/western-north-carolina/"]Western [/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/charlotte/"]Charlotte [/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/york-lancaster-counties/"]York & Lancaster[/URL]

[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html"]Terms of Service. No advertising, no copyrighted material, no personal attacks[/URL]

Old 02-26-2008, 05:17 AM

755 posts, read 2,242,235 times
I'd rather the people who use it pay $5 for parking than sticking the taxpayers with the bill, which has been what's happened so far.

Old 02-26-2008, 06:17 AM

777 posts, read 2,272,876 times
If you want to email the people in charge:

Executive Director Jeff Wise - jeff@usnwc.org

Board of Directors - Pat Mumford (Charlotte City Councilmen) - patmumford@bellsouth.net

I personally believe this will be a net negative for the park. I go there to stroll around with my kid and then grab some lunch (and maybe a beer or two) at the Eddy. They can kiss that restuarant business goodbye...which is funny because so far that has been their biggest moneymaker.

The amount of people that visit the park is going to go DRASTICALLY down. People have no idea what the whitewater park is and they just want to check it out. Those people will no longer have the chance to just drive up and see it. Ultimately, those potential new customers will never become customers.

Those that use the bike trails frequently are likely to leave. Sure guy who wants to try something different might come for an afternoon. There goes more lost money at the restuarant more potential customers pissed off that they are getting screwed.

I can't wait to see what happens when the attendance goes into deep decline and they lose even more money.

The way for this place to make money is to get as many people to actually come out and see the whitewater park. Once people see what it is, everyone wants to try it out. They are doing the exact opposite. This is a attraction that is one of a kind in the country...people have no idea what it is.

Old 02-26-2008, 07:40 AM

2,560 posts, read 7,709,276 times
I grew up in Winston-Salem and we had to pay EVERY time we went to the park or buy an annual pass (Tanglewood Park). It is nothing new to me. I grew up right by Tanglewood and just bought an annual pass every year and it was unlimited. Kept the county tax payers from footing the bill...right?

Old 02-26-2008, 08:11 AM

474 posts, read 1,594,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InSouthPark View Post
If you want to email the people in charge:

Executive Director Jeff Wise - jeff@usnwc.org

Board of Directors - Pat Mumford (Charlotte City Councilmen) - patmumford@bellsouth.net
To clarify, Pat Mumford is no longer on the Charlotte City Council. He's still on the Whitewater Center Board of Directors, along with 11 others, but I'm not sure if that email address is still valid.

Here's the full list for the Whitewater Center. It does not include individual email addresses, but does have a "contact" option:

US National Whitewater Center //// TAKE IT OUTSIDE !!! \\ - Organization (http://www.usnwc.org/Organization.html - broken link)

Old 02-26-2008, 08:34 AM

2,536 posts, read 8,341,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groove1 View Post
Email these idiots and tell them to come up with better solutions. $5 a car is high, especially when gas is going to be $4 a gallon.
While yes, having it be free is great...I would not mind paying $5 a car. Heck you pay for parking to go to Carowinds, to go see a baseball game, a basketball, many people have to pay for parking just to go to work .

...and looking at the big picture...there are people that come from all across the U.S. to use this place...so why not get some of those outside dollars versus it all coming from the locals?

Now if anyone is an idiot...its all of us...paying $4 a gallon for gas (which is considered a deal in some parts of the world)...but that doesnt' have anything to do with the Whitewater Center)

Quote:
Originally Posted by groove1 View Post
Annual pass would be much better, but not worth it for people who go once or twice a year. I have the Anne Springs Close Greenway near me. 2300 acres, trails, biking hiking, more scenic than the USNWC and less than 1.5 miles from my home. I'll go there more now.

I too Love Anne Springs Close Greenway in Fort Mill...but as 7 oh 4 has stated...it's not the same thing. In addition..the Greenway doesn't happen to be free either.

Old 02-26-2008, 10:14 AM

1,800 posts, read 5,165,075 times
We go to the Whitewater Center to walk the trails and occasionally eat lunch. We won't pay $5 for a stroll and to visit a restaurant. Although the Eddy is good and we love sitting out on the patio, we can do the same elsewhere, without a parking fee.
I can see paying for the amenities, if you want to utilize the rafting/kayaking center or go rock-climbing, but I'm sure the center will lose many of it's hikers for that $5 fee. The parking fee is a big mistake (IMO).

Old 02-26-2008, 12:21 PM

2,560 posts, read 7,709,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stmaarten View Post
We go to the Whitewater Center to walk the trails and occasionally eat lunch. We won't pay $5 for a stroll and to visit a restaurant. Although the Eddy is good and we love sitting out on the patio, we can do the same elsewhere, without a parking fee.
I can see paying for the amenities, if you want to utilize the rafting/kayaking center or go rock-climbing, but I'm sure the center will lose many of it's hikers for that $5 fee. The parking fee is a big mistake (IMO).
Do you live in Mecklenburg County?

Do you not pay to park if you go to a Panthers game? Do you pay if you go to a Bobcats game? Do you pay if you go to Carowinds? Nothing is FREE!

If you do...then either pay the $5 per visit or $35 unlimited yearly pass......or you will be paying for it in property taxes!

Which is better?

Either way you WILL pay.

Old 02-26-2008, 01:13 PM

1,800 posts, read 5,165,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the 7 oh 4 View Post
Do you live in Mecklenburg County?

Do you not pay to park if you go to a Panthers game? Do you pay if you go to a Bobcats game? Do you pay if you go to Carowinds? Nothing is FREE!

If you do...then either pay the $5 per visit or $35 unlimited yearly pass......or you will be paying for it in property taxes!

Which is better?

Either way you WILL pay.
No, I do not live in Meck Cty. I haven't been to a Panthers or Bobcats game, but if and when I do, I expect to pay for parking and will do so. But in those instances, I have a choice of how much I'm willing to pay and therefore how far I'm willing to walk to the stadium.
As far as going on a leisurely stroll on some walking trails, no, I will not pay for parking, period. I'd rather find a park that's free. As I stated before, there are plenty of free-parking parks in the area.

I think you misunderstood my previous post, where I was refering to a specific group of people; those of us who visit The Whitewater Center to go for a walk, nothing else. Believe me, we've spent plenty of $$$ at The Eddy. I was just trying to make the point that some (not all) off the Center's frequent visitors will NOT continue coming back if they charge $5 for parking.
I've lived in areas of this country, where property taxes where much more outrageous than those in Meck County, so you don't need to remind me that "nothing is free". Been there done that, and am more selective this time around.

I should add: If I were going to the Whitewater Center to use the rafting/kayaking facilities, I would expect to pay for parking. (Providing it's reasonable compared to what they charge for using the "river".)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte