U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 01:29 PM

2,560 posts, read 7,707,022 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stmaarten View Post
No, I do not live in Meck Cty. I haven't been to a Panthers or Bobcats game, but if and when I do, I expect to pay for parking and will do so. But in those instances, I have a choice of how much I'm willing to pay and therefore how far I'm willing to walk to the stadium.
As far as going on a leisurely stroll on some walking trails, no, I will not pay for parking, period. I'd rather find a park that's free. As I stated before, there are plenty of free-parking parks in the area.

I think you misunderstood my previous post, where I was refering to a specific group of people; those of us who visit The Whitewater Center to go for a walk, nothing else. Believe me, we've spent plenty of $$$ at The Eddy. I was just trying to make the point that some (not all) off the Center's frequent visitors will NOT continue coming back if they charge $5 for parking.
I've lived in areas of this country, where property taxes where much more outrageous than those in Meck County, so you don't need to remind me that "nothing is free". Been there done that, and am more selective this time around.

I should add: If I were going to the Whitewater Center to use the rafting/kayaking facilities, I would expect to pay for parking. (Providing it's reasonable compared to what they charge for using the "river".)
No dis-respect then you should not have a say so. We already pay high enough taxes in Mecklenburg. $5 is nothing. I have NEVER heard of FREE parking at any event in any large city. Even hotels in Uptown Charlotte charge in excess of $20 a night to park on top of your room rate.

I prefer not to pay as well...but my parents always raised me to think that NOTHING is Free!

People pay $175 a month to park in the Wachovia Center Uptown. What is $5?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2008, 01:37 PM

1,800 posts, read 5,163,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the 7 oh 4 View Post
No dis-respect then you should not have a say so. We already pay high enough taxes in Mecklenburg. $5 is nothing. I have NEVER heard of FREE parking at any event in any large city. Even hotels in Uptown Charlotte charge in excess of $20 a night to park on top of your room rate.

I prefer not to pay as well...but my parents always raised me to think that NOTHING is Free!
Did I state that major events' parking should be free???
I think you might be misunderstanding my point. So, let's just agree to disagree.

Three kids later, I've become very thrifty. That includes what I'm willing to pay for parking, to take a walk in the woods.
Tell your parents not to be so cynical.

Old 02-26-2008, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Did I state that major events' parking should be free???
I think you might be misunderstanding my point. So, let's just agree to disagree.

Three kids later, I've become very thrifty. That includes what I'm willing to pay for parking, to to take a walk in the woods.
AGREE!

And I don't like paying either...but it either has to be paid for my charging for parking or tax payers. Since I live in Mecklenburg I would rather EVERYONE pay (even visitors from out of state).

Where I grew up we had to pay to go to the park everytime or buy an annual pass which we did every year. I guess I am just use to paying (not that I like it)!

Old 02-26-2008, 01:46 PM

1,800 posts, read 5,163,593 times
Quote:
AGREE!

And I don't like paying either...but it either has to be paid for my charging for parking or tax payers. Since I live in Mecklenburg I would rather EVERYONE pay (even visitors from out of state).

Where I grew up we had to pay to go to the park everytime or buy an annual pass which we did every year. I guess I am just use to paying (not that I like it)!
Isn't it called the National Whitewater Center? Why would they tax people living in Meck Cty, for something that's supposedly funded on the federal end? Maybe I'm wrong. The name is very deceiving, though.

Old 02-26-2008, 02:21 PM

22,974 posts, read 58,465,585 times
Quote:
Isn't it called the National Whitewater Center? Why would they tax people living in Meck Cty, for something that's supposedly funded on the federal end? Maybe I'm wrong. The name is very deceiving, though.
It is private buisness that Gaston and Mecklenburg comitted tax payer dollars to
Whitewater center sees $1.7 million loss - Charlotte Business Journal:
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/coastal-north-carolina/"]Coastal [/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/western-north-carolina/"]Western [/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/charlotte/"]Charlotte [/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/york-lancaster-counties/"]York & Lancaster[/URL]

[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html"]Terms of Service. No advertising, no copyrighted material, no personal attacks[/URL]

Old 02-26-2008, 02:49 PM

18 posts, read 70,876 times
Quote:
Three kids later, I've become very thrifty. That includes what I'm willing to pay for parking, to take a walk in the woods.
Many parks in California have a day use fee, so paying to walk in the woods is nothing new. I agree with you that if people don't want to pay for parking, they can and will simply go to another park. That will cause a drop in attendance. Maybe a compromise where eating at the restaurant gets the visitor a parking validation, or a coupon for free parking next visit.

Regardless, its a private business so the fees should cover the expenses and not tax dollars. I look forward to checking the place out when I get a chance to visit!

Old 02-26-2008, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjrep View Post
Many parks in California have a day use fee, so paying to walk in the woods is nothing new. I agree with you that if people don't want to pay for parking, they can and will simply go to another park. That will cause a drop in attendance. Maybe a compromise where eating at the restaurant gets the visitor a parking validation, or a coupon for free parking next visit.

Regardless, its a private business so the fees should cover the expenses and not tax dollars. I look forward to checking the place out when I get a chance to visit!
It is nice. They did a good job.

It will be nice though when they finish the main road (Whitewater Parkway). That will be awhile. We were there Saturday and they have a long way to go!

Old 02-26-2008, 10:47 PM

1,117 posts, read 2,452,161 times
Quote:
I have NEVER heard of FREE parking at any event in any large city.
It's not an "event" - it's a place where people participate in hobbies.

Quote:
Even hotels in Uptown Charlotte charge in excess of $20 a night to park on top of your room rate.
But the center isn't uptown in a high-rent location, is it? - apples & oranges. I promise you that the nearest hotel to the WW center doesn't charge for parking.

Quote:
People pay $175 a month to park in the Wachovia Center Uptown. What is $5?
Simply put, it's $5 that I'll not be spending there.

I don't actually have a problem with the facility imposing a parking fee....I don't care. I only have a problem with people suggesting I should discount the fact that they now do.

Old 02-27-2008, 05:43 AM

4,222 posts, read 6,708,887 times
To be honest about it, if one isn't willing to pay $5.00 for parking, they will probably not want to spend any money there anyway. The place provides entertainment whether participating in an activity or just watching. If a family of four goes to the place to walk around and watch, they are only paying $1.25 per person. I don't see the unfairness. It seems that those that are not willing to pay $5.00 and refuse to visit will be providing more premium parking options for those of us that don't mind.

Old 02-27-2008, 06:14 AM

777 posts, read 2,271,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vindaloo View Post
To be honest about it, if one isn't willing to pay $5.00 for parking, they will probably not want to spend any money there anyway. The place provides entertainment whether participating in an activity or just watching. If a family of four goes to the place to walk around and watch, they are only paying $1.25 per person. I don't see the unfairness. It seems that those that are not willing to pay $5.00 and refuse to visit will be providing more premium parking options for those of us that don't mind.
That is nonsense. I am NOT paying $5 for a right to push my kid around the park or eat at an inexpensive restaurant...and I ALWAYS grab some food at the Eddy.

Have you ever been there on a nice weekday at lunch time? The resturant is full of people eating lunch...in work clothes.

Anyways, I have to say you must have blinders on to not see the unfairness. This is a new attraction that is best served by having as many people come to it as possible. If people stop coming because of the parking fee, the park will lose EVEN MORE MONEY! That is unfair to us, the tax payer.

This isn't some park where they make thier money off of admission fees...this place makes money off of the resturant and rafters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte