Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2016, 04:33 PM

5,162 posts, read 7,355,600 times

Advertisements

Macy's has announced it will be closing the Carolina Place Mall store in Pineville next spring following a sale of the property to mall owner General Growth Properties.

This move comes as Macy's will be closing some 100 underperforming stores nationwide after the holidays next year. However in this GGP deal, the real estate may be a more valuable component than the retail sales, which may have otherwise been decent but not extraordinary at Carolina Place. In Charlotte, Belk dominates retail sales in area malls. GGP will acquire 5 total Macy's properties in its malls nationwide, and only one Macy's in Virginia will lease back the space and remain open.

The original Macy's at Tyson's Galleria in McLean, Va. will remain open, and ironically a former Hecht's across the street at Tyson's Corner Center will also continue operation as Macy's.

The Pineville Macy's was also an original Hecht's that opened in 1993. Sorry to see it go, but wonder if it will be leased to another dept. store such as Belk. Another Macy's that will close at a GGP mall in Bowling Green, Kentucky will become a Belk next year.

Macy's will likely focus on upgrading its more upscale locations at Northlake and SouthPark, which are nicer stores with better selections.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2016, 04:39 PM

My thought was perhaps Belk could acquire the Macy's space and expand its presence with possibly a separate Men's and Home store. They have done this at other malls where they acquired space from Proffit's and Parisian. Or perhaps General Growth Properties will redevelop the space for some other use such as restaurants or entertainment. I know they recently announced a Dave and Buster's, but not sure where it will go. I was wondering about that.

Old 11-01-2016, 04:46 PM

Recently I was in 2 of the top tier Macy's, at the Mall of Georgia and the SouthPark store in Charlotte. Both stores seemed nice, clean, and less cluttered with a good selection of Men's assortments. And the customer service was excellent, as you were approached by friendly, helpful staff and not ignored. This is a big recent change and I can see a concentrated effort is now underway to improve their better performing stores. Making Macy's a bit more of an upscale and trendier destination like it once was, not so common on every street corner or the average mall in America. With some exclusive selections. The May merger created too many poorly managed stores with limited assortments, and apparently now they are making appropriate moves to correct this. Sorry to see some stores close, but I do agree this is the proper strategy.

Old 11-01-2016, 05:27 PM

Apparently the Macy's at Greenwood Mall in Bowling Green, Kentucky was originally a Dillard's. Then Dillard's bought Caster-Knott and took over their building. So May Co. replaced the original Dillard's with a Famous-Barr store. The Famous-Barr became Macy's after the Federated/May merger, similar to the Hecht's conversion in Charlotte. Now this store will eventually become Charlotte based Belk. Quite a history there among multiple operators.

Also, in some parts of Northern Kentucky, the Macy's stores were originally Lazarus out of Ohio. And also in Ohio, some Macy's stores were previously Kauffman's operated by May Co. Now some years later, Macy's must further consolidate and close many of these overlapping or underperforming stores.

But still sorry to see Pineville close, but was not managed very well compared to SouthPark or Northlake.

Old 11-01-2016, 05:39 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,684,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
Apparently the Macy's at Greenwood Mall in Bowling Green, Kentucky was originally a Dillard's. Then Dillard's bought Caster-Knott and took over their building. So May Co. replaced the original Dillard's with a Famous-Barr store. The Famous-Barr became Macy's after the Federated/May merger, similar to the Hecht's conversion in Charlotte. Now this store will eventually become Charlotte based Belk. Quite a history there among multiple operators.

Also, in some parts of Northern Kentucky, the Macy's stores were originally Lazarus out of Ohio. And also in Ohio, some Macy's stores were previously Kauffman's operated by May Co. Now some years later, Macy's must further consolidate and close many of these overlapping or underperforming stores.

But still sorry to see Pineville close, but was not managed very well compared to SouthPark or Northlake.
Eh. . .I'd like to see Macy's bring back their long-defunct Bambergers division. Macys, itself, doesn't do anything for me.

Old 11-02-2016, 07:23 AM

And I would be remiss if I didn't mention that the Macy's in South Carolina and Georgia were formerly Rich's, and many of the Macy's in Florida were formerly Burdine's.

Regarding Bamberger's, I remember the name. As Macy's had many other predecessors before the more recent May merger. Don't forget Davison's in SC and Georgia. Also Abraham Strauss, Bullock's, and I. Magnin to name a few.

Old 11-02-2016, 08:23 AM

2,919 posts, read 5,805,531 times
They need to close the one at Northlake, as I do not see how it continues to stay in business. The merchandise selection there sucks.

Old 11-02-2016, 09:49 AM

1,423 posts, read 1,477,404 times
I wonder if Von Maur is still looking for sites in the Southeast. This could potentially be a good fit for them.

Old 11-03-2016, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastbabe View Post
They need to close the one at Northlake, as I do not see how it continues to stay in business. The merchandise selection there sucks.
I think Macy's will work to upgrade their nicer stores as they become a bit more exclusive rather than on every street corner or every middle market mall in America. I already see improvements at SouthPark and down at the Mall of Georgia.

Old 11-03-2016, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renownedtheworldaround View Post
I wonder if Von Maur is still looking for sites in the Southeast. This could potentially be a good fit for them.
I would think SouthPark or Northlake would be a better fit for Von Maur if they were to come to Charlotte. They seem more similar to Nordstrom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte