U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 08:28 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,004,073 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by West&East View Post
Having lived in several states, I think that it really depends on the ratio of new transplants to locals. Locals have their social connections and often family members in place and may not have time to reach out. I once lived in a relatively new neighborhood but the majority of residents were locals who moved from another part of town. If you live in an area where most are transplants, you will find many who want to make new friendships, etc.
Totally agree. If you move to a new subdivision w/ other transplants, you will find most everyone else is like you - and looking to create a new support system. This is especially true if you have children, as they will be meeting at school and playing together in the neighborhood. If you do end up in a neighborhood w/ a lot of natives, W&E hit it the nail on the head - cause people often have longtime friends and family members.

However, people are telling me they are running into fewer and fewer natives these days . . . and newcomers are saying how easy it has been to meet others and establish relationships.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2008, 09:23 PM

116 posts, read 365,627 times
After reading your post I have to agree. In FL we lived in a new established area and met a lot of people. Here in CA we live in a place where most people are local.

Old 02-25-2008, 09:31 PM

148 posts, read 417,687 times
One more thought...Many of the newer neighborhoods in the Charlotte area have clubhouses with community activities. I recently got the schedule for Chimneys of Marvin and it has ladies night, men's night, family night, and more. What a great way to get to know your neighbors. Hanging out at the pool this summer should also be fun!

Old 02-25-2008, 09:32 PM

122 posts, read 395,306 times
Where we live there are an equal number of transplants and locals. We also have a lot of people from other countries and my experience is that the majority of people from other countries will only be friends with people from their culture - e.g. Asians and people from India.

Old 02-25-2008, 09:37 PM

116 posts, read 365,627 times
Yes, that's probably true. When the culture is a way of life than it's hard to find something to share. I always look for people from Europe and especially people from Prague or who lived there. But we always find some Indian friends because we love Indian food

Old 02-25-2008, 11:02 PM

1,166 posts, read 3,543,305 times
Before 1980 there weren't many Catholics here, but starting in the 1980's more and more Catholics started moving down here from upstate NY and other parts of the NE.. Now there are many Catholics and Catholic schools. According to Wikipedia, the largest Christian Church within Charlotte is St. Matthew's RC church in south Charlott where you probably find the greatest concentration of Catholics. Most old Charlotte families are either Presbyterian, Methodist, Episcopalian or Baptist. Look in the NC Atlas by Al Stuart for the populations of each major religion in Charlotte. I tried to copy the table but it got all messed up and it's getting too late for me to continue.

Last edited by BarbJ; 02-25-2008 at 11:11 PM..

Old 02-26-2008, 07:40 AM

474 posts, read 1,594,321 times
I think it depends on the individual neighborhood. We lived in a neighborhood in Huntersville for two years and did not know our neighbors very well at all. We moved to Fort Mill and it's been very different for us. People are very friendly and we know just about everyone on our street and most of the nearby streets.

One piece of advice if you're looking to connect with other families is to try and find a neighborhood or street where families are in similar stages of life. We have a young child and most of our friends in the neighborhood have young children as well. It's tougher to connect with couples without kids because our schedules are so different. Not to say that it can't be done, but it's just easier to connect with people when you have more things in common to talk about and get together over (birthdays, pre-school events, play dates, etc).

Old 02-26-2008, 09:58 AM

4,093 posts, read 10,147,408 times
Interesting.

We had great neighbors in all 3 houses we lived in while living in SoCal. One neighbor became our babysitter for 4 years. Another neighbor took care of our lawn while we out of town, etc....

We have great neighbors here as well. One takes care of our dog while we are gone, another has come over and helped my husband chop up a tree when it fell down (actually, come to think of it, we had someone do that in CA too in our last house).

I think people are people and you will find all kinds no matter where you go.

Dawn

Old 02-26-2008, 10:12 AM

201 posts, read 604,009 times
Smile Hello

[SIZE=2]I think inviting a neighbors over for a cook out, glass of wine, etc. is great way to begin to meet neighbors. We've done this in three areas that we have lived, and it's been a hit each time.

We donít have kids, but lived on a street where everyone else did. We just invited everyone over--they brought their own meat to throw on the grill, and it was BYOB. We provided soft drinks and some appetizers, and everyone had a wonderful time--kids and adults alike. No one was out a a huge amount of money, and the organization was simple.

Families with kids bought a football and basketball, and we provided some bubbles and sidewalk chalk for the little kids (we had it on hand for our nieces and nephews as well).

One of the families even said to us it was one of the first times they took time out of running here and there on the weekends to spend quality time with their kids and neighbors they had not seen in ages. We made it a monthly gathering ever since (changing houses each time, lol).

Itís a very relaxing way to find out who you have things in common with, and who you may not have a whole lot in common with, but who might have an extra cup of sugar when you need it, and vice versa.

I wish you lots of luck!
[/SIZE]

Old 02-29-2008, 12:10 AM

126 posts, read 531,450 times
I can SO relate. I lived in Mendocino County, CA for almost 5 years and had a couple of acquaintances but never really connected with people. I've been in Lincolnton for about 6 weeks and I have the NICEST neighbors and have already met probably a dozen ladies in my local area through a mom's forum online. I've gone to a movie with them, we have coffee every Monday, we had dinner out last week. I feel much more connected here than I ever did in California. The people are REAL and down to earth. And I like them a lot
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or