U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2008, 06:57 AM

4,227 posts, read 4,073,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmow View Post
Are there many Catholics in Charlotte and are they treated like everyone else?
Just curious, are there places that you know of in the U.S. where Catholics are treated differently? How could they possibly be treated differently? As you probably know, Charlotte is not in Northern Ireland or Iran? But to be more specific, Catholics are allowed to go to our schools. They may even marry our daughters if they are willing to swap enough goats. Most neighbourhoods allow Catholics after strict security screening. We do expect you to be on your best behavior as we will be watching you. Rosaries are not allowed in schools as they are often used as weapons by Catholic students.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2008, 07:08 AM

5,250 posts, read 3,908,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Totally agree. If you move to a new subdivision w/ other transplants, you will find most everyone else is like you - and looking to create a new support system. This is especially true if you have children, as they will be meeting at school and playing together in the neighborhood. If you do end up in a neighborhood w/ a lot of natives, W&E hit it the nail on the head - cause people often have longtime friends and family members.

However, people are telling me they are running into fewer and fewer natives these days . . . and newcomers are saying how easy it has been to meet others and establish relationships.
I think people are freindly but reserved here. Not a bad thing, but life is what you make of it WHEREVER you are. I see no real difference from the Hew England area.

Old 02-29-2008, 07:09 AM

5,250 posts, read 3,908,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
I think people are freindly but reserved here. Not a bad thing, but life is what you make of it WHEREVER you are. I see no real difference from the Hew England area.
Hey if I could type I'd be dangerous...

Old 02-29-2008, 07:29 AM

8,447 posts, read 10,239,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmow View Post
Are there many Catholics in Charlotte and are they treated like everyone else?
To answer your questions, there are more and more Catholics moving into the Charlotte area. Churches are overflowing and more will be built in the near future I'd assume.

Are they treated like everyone else? Not necessarily, but that goes w/anything where you are the minority. I just ask that you don't suffocate me w/your religious views and I'll respect you the same.

Don't want to get too OT, but bottom line is obv there is good and bad in any denomination/faith.

Old 02-29-2008, 07:40 AM

10,649 posts, read 11,315,755 times
I think I have to agree with the OP on this..Down here in Miami, people keep to themselves. We don't have kids but am looking forward to meeting my neighbors and maybe doing a cookout as well. I'm really looking forward to all the festivals that Charlotte offers!

Old 02-29-2008, 08:28 AM

175 posts, read 17,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
I think I have to agree with the OP on this..Down here in Miami, people keep to themselves. We don't have kids but am looking forward to meeting my neighbors and maybe doing a cookout as well. I'm really looking forward to all the festivals that Charlotte offers!
Not really sure what festivals you're looking forward to but that's neither here nor there. Knock yourself out. Scratching my head, as a devout Catholic, as to what the poster means by Catholics being treated differently. If you spend 30 minutes at this site, you understand the overwhelming volume of Northerners that have taken over the Charlotte region in the past 15 years. The 5 or 6 enormous Catholic churches are overflowing and most have at least 5 weekend masses (1 Saturday night, 3 or 4 Sunday morning and 1 Sunday night and many have at least one in Spanish). It's getting harder and harder to get into Catholic schools. So, honestly, no difference. I sincerely think we've taken over, and by "we" I mean northerners and not neccesarily Catholics. Whether or not that's a good thing remains to be seen.

Old 02-29-2008, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindaloo View Post
Just curious, are there places that you know of in the U.S. where Catholics are treated differently? How could they possibly be treated differently? As you probably know, Charlotte is not in Northern Ireland or Iran? But to be more specific, Catholics are allowed to go to our schools. They may even marry our daughters if they are willing to swap enough goats. Most neighbourhoods allow Catholics after strict security screening. We do expect you to be on your best behavior as we will be watching you. Rosaries are not allowed in schools as they are often used as weapons by Catholic students.
I'm saving my goats as we speak Vindaloo. I suspect my daughter would be a worthy wife to your son, provided she doesn't gauge his eyes out with her Rosary on the altar. We had to find Catholic housing when we first moved down here but after the Bishop offered the sacrifice to Mayor McCrory, they let us into the general population. other than being forced to eat meat on Fridays during Lent, things are better than they were in Belfast. Or Tehran, for that matter.

Old 02-29-2008, 09:10 AM

4,227 posts, read 4,073,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygirl34 View Post
I'm saving my goats as we speak Vindaloo. I suspect my daughter would be a worthy wife to your son, provided she doesn't gauge his eyes out with her Rosary on the altar. We had to find Catholic housing when we first moved down here but after the Bishop offered the sacrifice to Mayor McCrory, they let us into the general population. other than being forced to eat meat on Fridays during Lent, things are better than they were in Belfast. Or Tehran, for that matter.
I am so glad to hear things are working out for you. I understand that the city is becoming so liberal that they have begun to let Catholics sit just after the Jews on public conveyances. My mom is Hindi, she has to walk.

Old 02-29-2008, 12:49 PM

3,075 posts, read 7,095,901 times
I am in need of some goats. How many daughters do you have? I have 3 sons. Perhaps we could arrange something.

Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindaloo View Post

Old 02-29-2008, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnW View Post
I am in need of some goats. How many daughters do you have? I have 3 sons. Perhaps we could arrange something.

Dawn
Just so you know, these are Catholic goats. I'm just saying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte