U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2009, 01:54 PM

1,210 posts, read 1,934,910 times

Advertisements

Anyone hear if U-verse will be coming to Concord? I called AT&T to get telephone line and they said they couldnt give me service. I live in the Moss Creek neighborhood so its not completely new.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2009, 02:02 PM

412 posts, read 811,442 times
Go with DSL for reliability. Cable internet shares your connection with your neighbors, which leads to the service problems. DSL is NOT shared, so your connection is yours alone. I've had Bellsouth DSL for 4 years, and have NEVER had a loss of service (fried a modem though).

Old 10-08-2009, 03:12 PM

4,280 posts, read 10,034,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smclarke4 View Post
Mullman, I have been thinking about changing from TWC myself. What is the whole house DVR thing - sounds fabulous.
One box in your house will be a little larger, and contains the DVR.
From any other TV in the house (equipped with the tuning box) you can record or watch shows.
Start a show in the den, finish in the bedroom - no problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
Mullman did you have to pay TWC a fee to get out of your digital cable contract?
I was not under a contract and was unaware TWC still did contracts.
Just dropped their boxes at Carolina Place and that was it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanigan911 View Post
Go with DSL for reliability. Cable internet shares your connection with your neighbors, which leads to the service problems. DSL is NOT shared, so your connection is yours alone. I've had Bellsouth DSL for 4 years, and have NEVER had a loss of service (fried a modem though).
Everything available for you to view on cable comes down the pipe, extremely compressed (degraded picture quality).

True.

The U-Verse is completely fed on demand.
In other words if you have one HDTV tuned to your favorite game, then that is the ONLY thing coming over the two wire into your home.
Another TV on, then two channels being fed - not all 3xx channels like the cable model.

The picture quality is much better, I was pleasantly surprised.

Old 10-09-2009, 03:07 PM

247 posts, read 667,631 times
This thread started in 2006?

For anyone living in Concord, your local telco I belive is CTC, or used to be... and that's why ATT/ Bell can't give you service there. CTC owns all the telco infrastructure there. Check on that.

Old 10-09-2009, 03:12 PM

4,010 posts, read 8,924,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aag-charlotte View Post
This thread started in 2006?

For anyone living in Concord, your local telco I belive is CTC, or used to be... and that's why ATT/ Bell can't give you service there. CTC owns all the telco infrastructure there. Check on that.

This is true. CTC = Concord Telephone Company. It had the original telephone franchise for Cabarrus county so Southern Bell never installed anything there.

Old 10-09-2009, 04:43 PM

5,116 posts, read 1,807,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lanigan911 View Post
Always has been a selling feature of DSL, that it is supposedly not shared.

While it is true you are not shared at the last hop (since, in most cases, a pvc/svc is built from your modem to the local co) you can bet your a-- that you are shared from that point up. Its immaterial really, DSL is just as much shared as cable is, its just a selling gimmick.

That said, I have Windstream in K-town, and it has its shared of problems -- nothing that a reset doesn't fix, until it stops again the next day.

In my personal experience, and experience in several customer homes, I've witnessed cable to be limited to 45K/s upstream, and DSL to be about double that. Downstream I've seen excellent speeds from both.

Its really just a hit or miss depending on your specific location.

Old 10-11-2009, 11:09 PM

219 posts, read 499,982 times
I have Clearwire internet service and it's fantastic, especially because they just sent me a new modem for the new CLEAR service they are launching here in Charlotte. It's best to get the service now before they officially switch over. I only pay $30 a month and my internet is just as fast as Road Runner, plus I can take my modem with me to other parts of NC and I also took it down to Atlanta and it works just fine down there. Take a look at their website: Clear.com, you can go to Best Buy or a kiosk in the mall to sign up.

Old 10-19-2009, 08:18 AM

1,915 posts, read 1,731,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoothGuy View Post
I only pay $30 a month and my internet is just as fast as Road Runner
... for the first 6 months, and then how much will you pay.

Thee;'s no coverage in North or South Carolina, according to their coverage map at Clear.com High Speed Mobile / Wireless Internet Service Provider (http://www.clear.com/index/coverage - broken link).

So where the heck are you, SmoothGuy, that you are raving about a service that's not really available here?

Old 10-21-2009, 07:51 PM

219 posts, read 499,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddySpice View Post
... for the first 6 months, and then how much will you pay.

Thee;'s no coverage in North or South Carolina, according to their coverage map at Clear.com High Speed Mobile / Wireless Internet Service Provider (http://www.clear.com/index/coverage - broken link).

So where the heck are you, SmoothGuy, that you are raving about a service that's not really available here?
Um...it's actually $30 a month as long as I have it, and I forgot to mention that its still Clearwire here in Charlotte right now, they are converting over to CLEAR around November. So if you sign up for CLEARWIRE now, it will be $30 a month for life then in a few weeks they will mail you a new modem once they switch over to the CLEAR Wi-Max network. Your bill will not increase.

Old 10-21-2009, 08:31 PM

2,155 posts, read 3,370,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumbollo View Post
This is true. CTC = Concord Telephone Company. It had the original telephone franchise for Cabarrus county so Southern Bell never installed anything there.
It used to be CTC. Windstream took over CTC in 2007.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte