Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2006, 05:41 PM

240 posts, read 1,021,952 times

Advertisements

Hello,
Anyone has any suggestion on companies other than Time Warner cable that offer broadband internet access? I currenly have TW cable and its always going out. The cable went out in the middle of the Macy's day parade Thursday. The internet is always down. I'll probably switch to Directv but do you have any suggestions for the internet.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2006, 05:46 PM

2,314 posts, read 2,834,554 times
Not sure where you are located but I have to recommend Bellsouth. I cannot remember one time other than a power outage that I have not had Internet in the last 7 years I have been a customer with them. They have 3 maybe 4 categories now for you viewing pleasure

Old 11-29-2006, 06:07 PM

240 posts, read 1,021,952 times
I'm in Highland Creek in the northern part of Charlotte.

Old 11-29-2006, 06:09 PM

2,314 posts, read 2,834,554 times
You should be able to get BellSouth then, If you are truly unhappy with TW you have nothing to loose. Just remember the speed differences that Bellsouth offers.

Old 12-01-2006, 09:57 AM

88 posts, read 250,800 times
I am also trying to figure out which high speed internet service provider to go with. I did make an appt for Time Warner, but if the cable goes out and internet service is consistantly down then I might have to give Bellsouth a call. My DH will be working from home 75% percent of the time so we need a reliable internet service provider. If anyone else has any recommendations please post....especially for those that work from home.....which service do you use?

also....if we go with direct tv...this would mean that they would attach a satellite dish to your home correct? Do most communities allow satellite dishes? Here in CA most homes have satellite dishes....not sure if it's a norm out there...

Old 12-01-2006, 10:35 AM

5,660 posts, read 26,999,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leeohana View Post
Do most communities allow satellite dishes? Here in CA most homes have satellite dishes....not sure if it's a norm out there...
In 1996, the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) adopted rules for Over-the-Air-Reception Devices (“OTARD” rules). Federal rules prohibit restrictions on a property owner or tenant’s right to install, maintain, or use an antenna to receive video programming from direct broadcast satellites (DBS), broadband radio services (formerly referred to as multichannel multipoint distribution services or MMDS), and television broadcast stations (TVBS). However, there are exceptions to the OTARD rules, including provisions for safety and preservation of historic areas.

The following antennas or dishes are covered by these rules:

A "dish" antenna one meter (39.37 inches) or less in diameter (or any size dish if located in Alaska), designed to receive direct broadcast satellite service, including direct-to-home satellite service, or to receive or transmit fixed wireless signals via satellite.

An antenna that is one meter or less in diameter and is designed to receive video programming services via broadband radio service (wireless cable), or to receive or transmit fixed wireless signals other than via satellite.

An antenna that is designed to receive local television broadcast signals.

Antennas used for AM/FM radio, amateur (“Ham”) radio, CB radio, Digital Audio Radio Services (“DARS”), or antennas used as part of a hub to relay signals among multiple locations are not covered by these rules.

Under the Federal rules, an owner or a tenant has the right to install an antenna (that meets size limitations) on property that he owns or over which he has exclusive use or control. This includes single family homes, condominiums, cooperatives, townhomes, and manufactured homes. In the case of condominiums, cooperatives, and rental properties, the rules apply to “exclusive use” areas, like terraces, balconies, or patios. “Exclusive use” means an area of the property that only you and people you permit may enter and use. If the area is shared with others or accessible without your permission, it is not considered.

FCC rules do not apply to common areas that are owned by a landlord, a community association, or jointly by condominium owners. These common areas may include the roof or exterior walls of a multiple dwelling unit. Under certain conditions, if a common antenna is available for use by residents, then the community association or landlord may reject or not permit the installation of an individually- owned antenna or satellite dish, provided the service and costs are the same.

Restrictions necessary to prevent damage to leased property are permissible, as long as the restrictions are reasonable. For example, a lease restriction that forbids tenants from drilling holes through exterior walls or through the roof is likely to be permissible.

An association, landlord, or local government may impose certain restrictions when safety is a concern or where a historic site is involved. An example of a safety restriction would be installing an antenna on a fire escape. Safety restrictions must be narrowly written so that they are no more burdensome than necessary to address a legitimate safety purpose.

Old 12-01-2006, 02:18 PM

88 posts, read 250,800 times
Thanks MM34b.....that was a load of great info. Any advice on internet service providers?

Old 12-01-2006, 02:26 PM

5,660 posts, read 26,999,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leeohana View Post
Thanks MM34b.....that was a load of great info. Any advice on internet service providers?
Not really. High-speed Internet service seems to be a hit and miss type of thing. The major companies like Comcast, Time-Warner and Charter don't even seem to be able to maintain uniform service and reliability from one area of a city to the next, let alone one state to the next.

Old 08-09-2007, 09:25 AM

187 posts, read 649,715 times
Bump this topic up as my TWC internet is horrible, always going out and they just raised the price on me! Bell south for the speed I want is no better in price, anyone have anything else?

Old 08-09-2007, 10:35 AM

352 posts, read 518,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm34b View Post
Not really. High-speed Internet service seems to be a hit and miss type of thing. The major companies like Comcast, Time-Warner and Charter don't even seem to be able to maintain uniform service and reliability from one area of a city to the next, let alone one state to the next.
If you want reliability....stay away from Cable and go with DSL.

Cable internet is horrendous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte