U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 08:36 PM

7 posts, read 22,598 times

Advertisements

Live in Detroit, MI. Want to relocate south. THe misses and myself thought we had it narrowed down to Houston, TX and Atlanta, GA but now when I ask people about those places. Houston folks says come on. However ATL people are saying ATL isnt like it was 10 years ago (when I went down there last) and that Charlotte is where I should consider (young family of four). I havent been to NC in like 15 years. Last time I lived in NC was in Fayetteville in 1988~1989 (father was stationed at Fort Bragg) and I was 14 years old at the time. Maybe you good southern folk can help me out with some info about your great city?

Also I have an uncle that lives in Asheville. I know asheville is like further west then Charlotte, but theres nothing like having family in a new state your trying to go to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2008, 08:42 AM

512 posts, read 737,875 times
Charlotte is a great city. It is also a great place to be in the business world. I'm sure you have heard about the banks here, but even if you are not in the banking industry (which I'm not) there are still alot of options out there for you. It is also full of culture, arts and lots of great restraunts. I have friends that live in Atlanta. It's okay if you don't mind the traffic. Ashville is about 2 hours west of Charlotte. It's in the mountains and has become somewhat upscale in the past few years. If you can afford to live there it's also a city full of the arts.
Good Luck

Old 02-26-2008, 08:46 AM

1,510 posts, read 2,702,173 times
Houston and Atlanta traffic is terrible. Charlotte is alot more easier to get around compared to those places.

Old 02-26-2008, 01:35 PM

7 posts, read 22,598 times
Okay. So 2 hours away? Thats cool. It beats over 14 hours just to drive down to see him.

Yea its been a while since I lived in NC. From memory, the people were nice, Damn near panic in my first hurricane (Hugo) and loved the Middle school I went to.

Old 02-26-2008, 02:51 PM

5 posts, read 20,883 times
We just moved from Houston to Charlotte. I cannot say anything much about Charlotte as it is just 2 days for us here ...except it is so much more beautiful than Houston.

Houston pros-- Texas does not have state tax, u save a bundle in your salary. It has people from all walks and so amenities/groceries of all kinds are just a stone's throw away. Education and Housing is much cheaper. To avoid traffic, specially if you are located in downtown, you could use the park and ride bus service located at many places....tons of people do it and it is really convenient. The crime statistics pages say that houston is much more safer than Charlotte.

All said and done....Charlotte is still so much more beautiful ( just 2 days and I love the place)

Old 02-26-2008, 02:56 PM

2,560 posts, read 5,712,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tellmi View Post
We just moved from Houston to Charlotte. I cannot say anything much about Charlotte as it is just 2 days for us here ...except it is so much more beautiful than Houston.

Houston pros-- Texas does not have state tax, u save a bundle in your salary. It has people from all walks and so amenities/groceries of all kinds are just a stone's throw away. Education and Housing is much cheaper. To avoid traffic, specially if you are located in downtown, you could use the park and ride bus service located at many places....tons of people do it and it is really convenient. The crime statistics pages say that houston is much more safer than Charlotte.

All said and done....Charlotte is still so much more beautiful ( just 2 days and I love the place)
My cousin and his wife live in Montrose in Houston. Beautiful area!

Houston is to hot & to humid for to Loonnngggg!

Atlanta is a GREAT city if you LIVE in ATL and WORK in ATL. If you have to commute in on I-85, I-75, I-20 or the GA 400...forget it!

Old 02-26-2008, 03:58 PM

245 posts, read 621,865 times
Holla at me Detroiter...we will be leaving Detroit next month for Charlotte - let's talk

Old 02-26-2008, 04:37 PM

80 posts, read 140,138 times
Fayetteville is NOTHING like Charlotte. They are almost two completely different states. I lived in Fayettehell for a year and it was the worst experience of my life.
I have also lived in Atlanta and currently live neat D.C. and am planning a move to Charlotte in the fall

Charlotte is the place to be!

Old 02-28-2008, 12:30 PM

512 posts, read 737,875 times
Fayetteville is NOTHING like Charlotte. They are almost two completely different states. I lived in Fayettehell for a year and it was the worst experience of my life.

Agreed,
No offense to anyone from Fayetteville but they are nothing alike. I was in Cali last year and talked to a guy who had been to NC and was making some negative comments about it here. I asked him where he had visited and he said "Fayetteville". I told him comparing Charlotte to Fayetteville was like comparing a Porshe to a Pinto.

Old 06-15-2008, 02:23 PM

17 posts, read 23,977 times
I'm strongly considering moving to Houston and God willing i will be this summer. I currently live in Atlanta and have lived here for the past 5 years. The job market out here is scary! I work for the City of Atlanta and we laid of 600+ employees last month, so if i were you i would consider Houston or NC. My neighbor was laid off and was considering NC or Dallas. She got an offer in NC and moved two weeks ago. I can't wait to leave!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte