Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 08:54 PM

12 posts, read 36,754 times

Advertisements

Can someone tell me exactly where is considered uptown? For example if I had a map and wanted to draw a border around uptown which streets would be the cutoff points?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2008, 08:57 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,518,175 times
border already drawn out for you anything inside the 277 beltline

Old 02-26-2008, 07:45 AM

2,560 posts, read 8,554,005 times
Uptown is anything in the I-277 Loop with a ZIP code of 28202 only.

Some old timers and long time residents still call it downtown but it changed 15-20 years ago and that confuses alot of new comers. There are signs when you enter Uptown that say "Welcome to Uptown Charlotte" on South Blvd, Tryon St & Trade St's that I know of.

I know it is elementary but when you live Uptown and here people call it other things...that is like me calling your neighborhood something else...right?

Have even heard recentlt that Center City Patners would like to change the name to "Center City"...have even heard some WBTV reporters call it Center City...that is just something else to confuse people.

Old 02-26-2008, 07:51 AM

1,521 posts, read 4,952,143 times
It's still downtown to me They change it for marketing purposes plus i live north of the city so how can it be uptown?

Old 02-26-2008, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QC Misfit View Post
It's still downtown to me They change it for marketing purposes plus i live north of the city so how can it be uptown?
It is confusing but just terminology. What about people who live South of Atlanta and they say they are going to "Downtown Atlanta"...same thing.

That is like me calling Huntersville...Hunterville. To you that is not correct.

I don't personally live downtown. Downtown 20 years ago was very filthy, dirty and nothing was there and had a bad image. The only reason you went downtown back then was to work. Now they have cleaned it up and many residents flocked there and they wanted a new image and that is why it is called Uptown.

Told you in previous post it was elementary!

Old 02-26-2008, 08:09 AM

Well calling Huntersville....Hunterville would be incorrect. That could be a completely different town.

We should set up a poll with current location in the area and what you call Downtown/Uptown and how long you have been here.

I wonder if S. Charlotte people called it uptown 15 years ago?

Old 02-26-2008, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Well calling Huntersville....Hunterville would be incorrect. That could be a completely different town.

We should set up a poll with current location in the area and what you call Downtown/Uptown and how long you have been here.

I wonder if S. Charlotte people called it uptown 15 years ago?
TRUCE!

I am a 7 year resident of Uptown. You are acting like I don't know what my area of town is called. I live in 4th Ward in Uptown Charlotte.

How come the signs don't say "Welcome to Downtown Charlotte"...have you never seem them. They say "Welcome to Uptown Charlotte"

SMILE!

The original OP wanted to know where Uptown is and might be a new comer. I just wanted them to know the proper terminology...thats all.

PS - Where is loves and anifani when I need them...lol!

Old 02-26-2008, 08:19 AM

lol.... I am still curious about the poll though.

The reason for not have welcome to Downtown is cost. There is less letter's in Uptown

Ani and loves must be doing breakfast !

To bring this back on topic "Center City" (there's another name!! Geeze!) is inside 277 as already stated.

Old 02-26-2008, 08:23 AM

Quote:
lol.... I am still curious about the poll though.

The reason for not have welcome to Downtown is cost. There is less letter's in Uptown

Ani and loves must be doing breakfast !

To bring this back on topic "Center City" (there's another name!! Geeze!) is inside 277 as already stated.
I personally think they should have left it "Downtown' for ever and never should have changed it. Most cities call it downtown and that would be alot less confusing.

Wanting to change it to Center City would just confuse people even more.

I usually just say I live in 4th Ward and you would be surprised at the number of people that have no clue where that is. Don't they ever get out and come to the beautiful MIDDLE of Charlotte!

LOVED your less letters comment about the sign.

Old 02-26-2008, 08:37 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,518,175 times
The decision to call it uptown was made in 1987

The Charlotte - Mecklenburg Story - History Timeline
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte