U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 05:40 PM

197 posts, read 616,407 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmow View Post
We are considering a move to Charlotte and I am a bit concerned about the heat and humidity. I heard that it is so hot that people will stay inside from May - Septemeber. Is that true? Also, have transplants had a hard time adjusting to the heat? I figure that so many people today don't go outside much so living in Charlotte in the heat wouldn't be that different than an area that doesn't get as warm. Thank for your help.
Just like traffic...IMO Charlotte's weather is just heavenly....Compared to Miami, Fl.
IE:
1st place nationwide for thunderstorms, 6 months under hurricane's warnings, sticky or very sticky humidity is probably average any given time, and be happy with the 90* during fall, spring and winter; because summer's temperature it just won't get any better!
and when I moved to Miami I wondered why so many people drove SUV's if there weren't any mountains around and the roads were so nice and flat? ...only took one tropical storm to make me change my little toyota corolla to a Rav4!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2008, 05:49 PM

367 posts, read 928,361 times
As another transplant from the Pacific Nortwest I can tell you the weather here is absolute heaven. It is hot and humid in the summer and I freakin love it!! The sun is out almost every day. I get to wear shorts to work! I can tell you I went golfing a couple of times mid afternoon in August to get cheaper tee times and that was a little foolish! You lose the water faster than you can put it back in! Like anything, you get use to it. I moved to the Pacific NW and was there for 10+ years and I am so happy to be out of that place. The weather there was crappy! They did have nice summers though, because it almost never rains in the summer. Give me the Hot and Sticky any day, at least I can see the sun

Old 02-26-2008, 05:50 PM

11,836 posts, read 25,431,580 times
My AC was out for almost a month last August. It was pretty miserable or so my wife will tell you. I just pretended that I was back in Panama.

Old 02-26-2008, 06:07 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,004,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
My AC was out for almost a month last August. It was pretty miserable or so my wife will tell you. I just pretended that I was back in Panama.
Hee Hee. I pretend I am in Grand Cayman, put on my linen clothes, spritz myself w/ distilled water . . . and carry on.

Old 02-26-2008, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Hee Hee. I pretend I am in Grand Cayman, put on my linen clothes, spritz myself w/ distilled water . . . and carry on.
Our house doesn't get hot during the day, but when the sun goes down it gets hot all of a sudden. The AC still worked in my office & we had fans but it was miserable for my wife & puppy.

Old 02-26-2008, 06:20 PM

305 posts, read 1,526,692 times
Okay, so I've decided NOT to move to Charlotte area. Where are the places in NC that aren't so humid? That are affordable? I heard that the Piedmont is supposed to be nice in the whole area, but isn't Charlotte in the Piedmont area???

So confused.

Old 02-26-2008, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
Our house doesn't get hot during the day, but when the sun goes down it gets hot all of a sudden. The AC still worked in my office & we had fans but it was miserable for my wife & puppy.
For all my bravado about the heat, I hate it!!!! I make the best of it. I am a native and have lived in hotter places, amongst them - Charleston and Kansas!!!

I have 2 zone HVAC but to cut down on my need to fight the cooling battle in my house, I installed a window A/C in my home office!!! So this way, I don't have to keep lowering my HVAC system . . . just let it stay at 78 d. and chill out in my office. Works for me!

Old 02-26-2008, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teebopop View Post
Okay, so I've decided NOT to move to Charlotte area. Where are the places in NC that aren't so humid? That are affordable? I heard that the Piedmont is supposed to be nice in the whole area, but isn't Charlotte in the Piedmont area???

So confused.
You don't plan on having A/C????

Old 02-26-2008, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teebopop View Post
Where are the places in NC that aren't so humid? That are affordable?
Possibly in the mountains, but everyplace here gets the heat/humidity at some point during the summer. When I lived in Massachusetts it was miserable at times from the heat/humidity & we didn't have AC!

Could you be a bit more specific about what you believe is affordable?

Old 02-26-2008, 06:32 PM

305 posts, read 1,526,692 times
Oh, I definitely will have A/C. No question!

But, husband has emphysema and that will limit his ability to go fishing and such if it's humid all the time. He'll be stuck in the house.

Which we are now because we live in PA and it snows, and ices, and sleets, so we're locked up for 4-5 months.

We are hoping to find a place in NC where it's not so humid so he can leave the house and we can enjoy the outdoors.

Any ideas?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte