Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 03:54 PM

132 posts, read 444,100 times

Advertisements

We are considering a move to Charlotte and I am a bit concerned about the heat and humidity. I heard that it is so hot that people will stay inside from May - Septemeber. Is that true? Also, have transplants had a hard time adjusting to the heat? I figure that so many people today don't go outside much so living in Charlotte in the heat wouldn't be that different than an area that doesn't get as warm. Thank for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2008, 04:28 PM

578 posts, read 2,592,070 times
As a recent transplant from the Pacific Northwest, I can tell you that summer is hot and humid as hell. You would never catch me outside for any extended period of time. Every place you go is air conditioned, which is nice, but walking outside is like getting hit in the face with a heat brick. I haven't been here for a May yet, so I'm not sure about when it starts.

The rest of the year makes up for it, though. My friends are jealous when I tell them about beautiful, sunny days in January.

Old 02-26-2008, 04:28 PM

126 posts, read 410,992 times
It does get pretty humid here during the summer months.

Old 02-26-2008, 04:37 PM

716 posts, read 2,151,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by searpr View Post
As a recent transplant from the Pacific Northwest, I can tell you that summer is hot and humid as hell. You would never catch me outside for any extended period of time. Every place you go is air conditioned, which is nice, but walking outside is like getting hit in the face with a heat brick. I haven't been here for a May yet, so I'm not sure about when it starts.

The rest of the year makes up for it, though. My friends are jealous when I tell them about beautiful, sunny days in January.
My husband is from that area as well, and he agrees. He can't stand the heat and humidity in the summer.

I'm not crazy about it either, but like you said, the rest of the year more than makes up for it. Nothing like wearing shorts on New Years Day!!

Again, most places ARE air conditioned, so I'd say a good number of people do stay inside.

And it's not the heat you know, it's the humidity...

I'm one of those people

Old 02-26-2008, 04:50 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,215,977 times
This last summer was bad, but it was not typical, either.

However, this is the South. If you think this is hot and humid, try Charleston or Savannah in July.

Remember those movies such as "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof?" That was steamy for many reasons (for its time). There is just something really compelling about beautiful women glistening . . . we Southern girls call it "glistening" not sweating, you know.

You haven't really lived til you have been in the South on a day so hot that the pavement hisses when a few rain drops hit it . . . sitting out on the porch, w/ a tall glass of iced tea, your hair forming ringlets around the hairline from small driplets of sweat . . . the porch fan blowing . . . cicadas droning in the moonlight.

You gotta go with it . . . just think tropical.

Old 02-26-2008, 05:03 PM

201 posts, read 667,933 times
Smile Hi

Yes, it's really, really hot here in the summer!

However, I love that our family enjoys a game of flag football every Thanksgiving here, (ok, sometimes with jackets, but never too cold), and yes, often enjoying mild winters.

I love that it's not even Spring yet, however I see beautiful pansies and bulbs popping up around. It's wonderful to be able to catch up on work outside in my back yard with my lap top (not that this happens every day during winter, but many of them it does).

In the summer, you'll find many people taking advantage of morning pool hours, and also taking advantage of the many indoor activity centers in the city during the heat of the day.

And, don't forget, from Charlotte, you are only 2-2 1/2 hours away from our beautiful mountains, where the temps are wonderful and less humid. The perfect place for a weekend get away!

All in all, yes, the summers are just plain hot! But, there's lots to make up for it!

Old 02-26-2008, 05:07 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,669,903 times
Its hot but nothing different than the stretches of heat that NJ gets....

its just a longer summer season w/more humidity...

like cm said above, there's lots to make up for it.....

Old 02-26-2008, 05:21 PM

3,576 posts, read 10,623,138 times
I like this line:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmow View Post
I heard that it is so hot that people will stay inside from May - September. Is that true?
Again, who's making these ridiculous statements? And why don't people just ignore them? Anyway, I'm not sure how you can consider temperatures in the 70's and 80's and only the occasional 90's all that hot. I think it's just right. And certainly the humidity is not any worse here than it is in any other areas of the East Coast.

Of course, it really only matters if you have some reason to be outside all day, every day.

Old 02-26-2008, 05:35 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,669,903 times
I'll be honest, playing golf in the middle of the day during the summer here is tough & draining. But, that's why you get an early morning tee time

Anyway, during the summer I'm mostly at the pool during the afternoon....great way too cool off

Old 02-26-2008, 05:37 PM

4,280 posts, read 11,276,773 times
I am a native and think it is unbearable sometimes in the Summer.
At the same time having spent time in the lower South (MS, LA, ect), I do not think it is impossible. Maybe I am just used to it. The winters are great though!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte