Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 06:55 PM

3,364 posts, read 9,998,416 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondGirl View Post
Yes I have been about 5 times, and I love the city, it's very different for us, but I love the city (Steele Creek was my dream area until....) We were scheluded to move in June. But I am having mixed feeling right now. The crime, the taxes & the unemployment rate is scaring me. I live in West Palm Beach, FL now, and face those same issues here, but at least I already have a job.

I live in Steele Creek, trust me I feel a lot safer here than I ever did in South florida.

Though i will say to everybody do not come here without a job (unless you are prepared to wash dishes wait tables etc in the mean time)

I will never move back to flordia thats a given, having said that paradise not exist anywhere, but I would rather be here than there.

Taxes are a fact of life they will alway happen as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2008, 06:58 PM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,530,045 times
Quote:
Yes I am , am believe me I am so ready to move from here. But yes the people have really turned me off. If I never have seen the city for myself, I would be scared to go through CHarlotte, according to SOME people's post. Not all, so I won;t be unfair and state that. I will be visiting again in May, so now that I know more information about the city I can visit certain areas at different times of the day.
I think you're making the right decision- you're instinct is firing for a reason and it's best to really examine the real reasons you wanted to move and to see if those reasons are still valid today.

Old 02-26-2008, 06:59 PM

182 posts, read 552,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Well. Just shocked you would let some info about crime affect you this way! For the record, I have been here over five years now . . . and no one I know - and certainly my family - have never been a victim of any sort of crime at all. No one in my neighborhood, either.

Just for the record.
You know, at first it didn't, because I took it just as someone's opinion. But after a few people people said the same thing, it is natural to listen. Just as if I was posting about my experiences living in West Palm Beach. I had a murder had literally in front of my door (over non-sense, mistaken identity) BUT I am not afraid to live in my neighborhood, but I'm sure another person would be...and my neighborhood is a quiet surburban neighborhood.

Old 02-26-2008, 07:05 PM

620 posts, read 2,113,612 times
Quote:
You know, at first it didn't, because I took it just as someone's opinion. But after a few people people said the same thing, it is natural to listen. Just as if I was posting about my experiences living in West Palm Beach. I had a murder had literally in front of my door (over non-sense, mistaken identity) BUT I am not afraid to live in my neighborhood, but I'm sure another person would be...and my neighborhood is a quiet surburban neighborhood.
Your instinct is one thing, but honestly, do not let people on this board influence your decision whatsoever.

Old 02-26-2008, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miker2069 View Post
I think you're making the right decision- you're instinct is firing for a reason and it's best to really examine the real reasons you wanted to move and to see if those reasons are still valid today.

Yes they are, one reason was we honestly can not afford a house here in South Florida, and properly raise a family. Right now we are renting, and I want a home. But homes here are starting at 250,000 for a 1300- 1500 sq. small used home, so a new construction or a larger home to house 3 children is well above 400,000.
Plus the cost of living here, is rising, but the salary isn't matching. The insurance and taxes are also on the rise.
So those were our major reasons. North FL, & GA, we weren't really interested in. So I do know in my gut that Charlotte or the surrounding cities is our destination, I just have to feel it, like I did before. I do think a part of my apprehension is that the date is fast approaching, and I'm getting nervous of leaving family & friends behind.

Old 02-26-2008, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingscotsman View Post
I live in Steele Creek, trust me I feel a lot safer here than I ever did in South florida.

Though i will say to everybody do not come here without a job (unless you are prepared to wash dishes wait tables etc in the mean time)

I will never move back to flordia thats a given, having said that paradise not exist anywhere, but I would rather be here than there.

Taxes are a fact of life they will alway happen as well.
You do, that's great, because I LOVEEE Steele Creek. Someone posted here before that Steele Creeke was having a lot of random crime. So I began to get nervous. I mean I do know that taxes and crime is unavoidable, especially for a city this large. My husband who is originally from Chicago tells me this all the time, LOL.

Old 02-26-2008, 07:17 PM

1,800 posts, read 5,706,045 times
Quote:
Yes they are, one reason was we honestly can not afford a house here in South Florida, and properly raise a family. Right now we are renting, and I want a home. But homes here are starting at 250,000 for a 1300- 1500 sq. small used home, so a new construction or a larger home to house 3 children is well above 400,000.
Plus the cost of living here, is rising, but the salary isn't matching. The insurance and taxes are also on the rise.
So those were our major reasons. North FL, & GA, we weren't really interested in. So I do know in my gut that Charlotte or the surrounding cities is our destination, I just have to feel it, like I did before. I do think a part of my apprehension is that the date is fast approaching, and I'm getting nervous of leaving family & friends behind.
In a situation like yours, I would suggest you give yourself a six month time period to just "wait and see". If you still feel the same way in six months, then you've made the right decision by not moving.
With some posters on this forum you can practically "feel" the sense of urgency-without-thinking approach. Those are the people who don't listen to their sixth sense, move down/over here and become disappointed and resentful. It's almost as if they're thinking: "I've gotta get to Charlotte NOW before all the affordable, nice, big, beautiful, etc. homes are gone!" When you think like that, you're not listening to your gut feeling. Always listen to your gut feeling!
Good Luck!

Old 02-26-2008, 07:21 PM

578 posts, read 2,593,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stmaarten View Post
In a situation like yours, I would suggest you give yourself a six month time period to just "wait and see". If you still feel the same way in six months, then you've made the right decision by not moving.
With some posters on this forum you can practically "feel" the sense of urgency-without-thinking approach. Those are the people who don't listen to their sixth sense, move down/over here and become disappointed and resentful. It's almost as if they're thinking: "I've gotta get to Charlotte NOW before all the affordable, nice, big, beautiful, etc. homes are gone!" When you think like that, you're not listening to your gut feeling. Always listen to your gut feeling!
Good Luck!
Great post. I remember thinking the same thing, "the houses are gonna be gone!" While I am thrilled with my move and know that Charlotte/Steele Creek was 1000% right for me, I have noticed there are plenty of houses for sale in this area that haven't moved.

Old 02-26-2008, 07:24 PM

3,662 posts, read 9,642,464 times
Are you really basing your decision solely on an internet discussion board? And for what it's worth, there are MUCH nicer and safer areas of Charlotte than the Steele Creek area. I think it would behoove you to come up here and spend a couple of weeks up here to learn the real story to calm your fears.

I'm with ani...I've lived here for 25 years and have never been a victim of serious crime nor have I known anyone to be a victim.

I think the biggest reevaluation you should do is why you are putting so many eggs in a message board. Not sound judgment in my opinion.

Good luck in your search of Utopia.

Old 02-26-2008, 08:04 PM

1,890 posts, read 2,253,128 times
Last Thursday Captain John Williams, Commander of Steele Creek Division of CMPD spoke at the Steele Creek Residents Association meeting. He said that although crime certainly should be a concern, crime in Steele Creek is no worse than other areas in Mecklenburg County. He said there's "nothing out here to worry about that's any different from other areas in Charlotte."

So don't single out Steele Creek in your concerns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte