U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2016, 03:39 PM

85 posts, read 97,077 times

Advertisements

Has anyone else noticed how horrible the traffic has been on the outbelt in Pineville these past 6 to 8 weeks during evening rush hour? Accident after accident after accident. I've been here for several years and this is the worst I've ever seen it. People just need to chill out and drive like human beings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2016, 05:07 PM

621 posts, read 1,896,801 times
Oh? Just moved here and thought that was the normal traffic pattern.

Old 11-20-2016, 06:45 AM

345 posts, read 695,424 times
For the past year and a half, I see it every day around 4:00 p.m. going from Ballantyne to Fort Mill (inner 485 towards 77 South). And every day I think to myself, I feel for everyone stuck in that parking lot and glad I am not in it.

Old 11-21-2016, 03:50 PM

85 posts, read 97,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by douknownam View Post
Oh? Just moved here and thought that was the normal traffic pattern.
No, did not just move here. Since phase 1 of the widening of the I-485 was completed a couple of years ago back this is by far the worst traffic i've seen on this section of the road.

Old 11-22-2016, 03:58 AM

750 posts, read 1,236,359 times
He's saying he just moved here, as did I. I just assumed this was the normal traffic pattern. Don't have to deal with it on an everyday basis and I've already figured out the best alternatives, so it doens't hoit me too hard. Would hate to sit in it everyday though.

Old 11-22-2016, 05:17 AM

218 posts, read 424,728 times
I don't travel on 485 that much anymore since we moved to a different part of town, but when I do, it just seems like the majority of drivers speed excessively. Now I will do 70-75 easily, but I am getting passed like I'm standing still. Maybe it's because of the median wall and there are no spots for cops to set up speed traps. I hate traveling on it and thankfully I rarely have to.

Old 11-27-2016, 09:33 AM

71 posts, read 68,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laloesch View Post
No, did not just move here. Since phase 1 of the widening of the I-485 was completed a couple of years ago back this is by far the worst traffic i've seen on this section of the road.
In my experience, it has gotten worse from Pineville to 74 since the widening. The Rea Rd. Exit lane is a mile long, and is causing backups with drivers who are trying to get onto 485 from 521, while people on 485, are trying to get off to the Rea Rd. Exit.

Old 11-28-2016, 06:45 AM

6,249 posts, read 9,633,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laloesch View Post
Has anyone else noticed how horrible the traffic has been on the outbelt in Pineville these past 6 to 8 weeks during evening rush hour? Accident after accident after accident. I've been here for several years and this is the worst I've ever seen it. People just need to chill out and drive like human beings.
It's the same development pattern that has ruined so many other great American cities. The rising cost of doing business in the urban core causes many business relocations to the burbs. Shortly after that, residential areas crop up in the burbs too. However, the burbs never had a network of inter-connecting secondary streets like the urban core does. Burbs tend to lack decent mass transit. If a burb has mass transit, few people use it because mass transit is often not part of the suburban culture. In urban settings, mass transit is part of the culture.

As a result, people in the burbs are all driving on freeways that exit onto the same small once-rural roads that do not connect to a historic street grid. And everyone is "too good" to ride a bus or train. There are other options for folks sitting on I-485. They can always move to a residence that's walking distance from their jobs. This is especially true with folks that have stable employers. I personally know people with 30-plus years at central Charlotte jobs, but have chosen to live in Pineville.

So I have to ask. Is the problem infrastructure, or is the problem our mentalities? When it comes to insurance, repairs, taxes, and gasoline; the average vehicle can easily exceed $600/month. Many households in the burbs have at least 2 vehicles. That suburban family could easily relocate to a place closer to work, save $600/month on 1 vehicle, and pay $600 more each month on urban real estate. Financially, they'll come out the same, and they'll gain an hour each day by reducing their commute time. That's more time at home with your family, which is EXACTLY why we work in the first place.

However, a one-car household in a small townhouse/condo does not fit the so-called American dream. You need a big house, with 3 cars, and a backyard for your grill (that you rarely use). In short, I-485 traffic will get worse. The addition of lanes in the future won't help. And folks will not change their wants in an attempt to fix the real problem.

Last edited by urbancharlotte; 11-28-2016 at 06:58 AM..

Old 11-28-2016, 07:38 AM

2,891 posts, read 3,874,946 times
Many people are living in the urban cores of American cities and using public transit, but not enough.

Old 11-29-2016, 01:15 PM

621 posts, read 1,896,801 times
As noted above, I just moved here and am still learning what area is best suited for my family... it's all still up in the air for when we buy again.

I agree with the mentality of living closer to work, but there are many folks that work from home as well. I'm in a hybrid position where I will be in the office 3 out of 5 days during the week, so finding a nice balance between distance to uptown, good schools, affordable housing, etc is a tall order. The days that I have had to go into the office, I've taken the blue line from the i-485 stop and it's been great. However, in the evenings, I still have to deal with the i-485 traffic until I get off at 521.

I can tell you that my wife and I would live as close to uptown as possible if we didn't have kids (as would many other folks).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or