U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 08:40 AM

111 posts, read 124,057 times

Advertisements

YES! Its awful, why would anyone want to live here! INFESTED with crime! I am suprised anyone is still alive to talk about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2008, 09:00 AM

117 posts, read 351,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjb113072 View Post
YES! Its awful, why would anyone want to live here! INFESTED with crime! I am suprised anyone is still alive to talk about it.
You guys are cracking me up today! My co-workers are looking at me like what in the world is she laughing at! LOL

Old 02-27-2008, 09:02 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,004,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the 7 oh 4 View Post
AMEN!...maybe it will slow the growth down some.

I have said that several times before. Charlotte is a very poor, crime ridden, trashy, over populated GHETTO!!!!

STAY AWAY!!!

How is that?
Hee Hee. It's gonna be a good day, 7!!! Love this post . . .

Yeah, it is pretty incredible how overwrought people have become when the oldtimers have come on, time and again and plainly stated . . . we are not in Compton here, for heaven's sake! Yes, there is crime - just like any other city. Yes, crime has seeped out of the "known" areas into some nearby areas, but CMPD is on it . . . homeowners are aware . . . everyone is working on it. This only happened b/c some upper end subdivisions were put in close proximity to "known" areas where people live a life that the rest of us would prefer avoiding.

All cities have "pockets" of crime and the residents know where those are and visitors quickly figure it out, too. Revitalization is going on all over this country and we are all interested in seeing crime lowered in the "traditionally bad areas" as well as cleaning up the reasons for why crime persists in those areas.

There are no quick solutions to cleaning up areas w/ high crime as it involves a lifestyle that puts other good citizens in those areas at risk.

As far as crime seeping out from those areas . . . all we can do is be vigilant as citizens and rely on law enforcement to patrol and apprehend. We have our problems here just like everywhere else.

No one can predict such things as thugs who decide to go out into the more affluent areas and kick in doors to rip off the plasma tv. Yes, we have had a rash of this type of thing, but these guys will get caught . . . and meanwhile . . homeowners need to be prudent - have an alarm system, keep garage doors shut, lock car doors, etc etc. These are things I was taught 40 years ago so I don't see it being a situation that should cause hysteria in the 'burbs. Just pay attention, have a strong neighborhood watch and call the police if you see anything suspicious.

I work at home. I could have someone kick in my door today. Between my alarm system, my guard dog, my baseball bat and my firearms . . . I suspect I will be just fine.

And let me explain. I have had an alarm system, baseball bat and firearms since I was a kid. The alarm system back then was a dog. I learned to load and fire at 12. So I am living no differently today than I have lived all my life.

Do I go to an ATM at 11 pm? No. Do I go to the Mall at nite? Yes, but usually not alone. Do I sit around biting my nails worrying about crime. NO. Do I feel safer here in Charlotte than in other cities where I travel? Yes, b/c this is my home turf.

Anyone who is making a decision about coming here based on fear of crime - think about it. There is crime everywhere, including small towns.

Old 02-27-2008, 09:03 AM

55,479 posts, read 74,374,114 times
violent crime is not something to "get over" it is something to be eradicated.

Old 02-27-2008, 09:08 AM

755 posts, read 2,241,653 times
I've posted here before that in my 14 years in Charlotte I was a victim of more crimes that in my 26 years living in other places.

Yes, crime is everywhere but there is no police protection in Charlotte and the courts are a revolving door for the criminals they arrest. Probation, dropped-charges, multiple felony arrests....it's a problem and saying that it's not doesn't help anyone.

eta: I was a crime victim in my suburban home.

Old 02-27-2008, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Hee Hee. It's gonna be a good day, 7!!! Love this post . . .

I work at home. I could have someone kick in my door today. Between my alarm system, my guard dog, my baseball bat and my firearms . . . I suspect I will be just fine.

And let me explain. I have had an alarm system, baseball bat and firearms since I was a kid. The alarm system back then was a dog. I learned to load and fire at 12. So I am living no differently today than I have lived all my life.

Do I go to an ATM at 11 pm? No. Do I go to the Mall at nite? Yes, but usually not alone. Do I sit around biting my nails worrying about crime. NO. Do I feel safer here in Charlotte than in other cities where I travel? Yes, b/c this is my home turf.

Anyone who is making a decision about coming here based on fear of crime - think about it. There is crime everywhere, including small towns.
Love your post! People should use THE COMMON SENSE that the good Lord gave them!! Crime happens everywhere, even in the richest most affluent neighborhoods. I live in Morrisville right now and people think that they are so safe in Morrisville/Cary. The thing is the crime isn't advertised as much!

Old 02-27-2008, 09:10 AM

716 posts, read 1,906,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjb113072 View Post
Not to mention we're all just MISERABLE. Forbes said so.

*signs up for the "Anti-move-to-Charlotte Committee"*

Old 02-27-2008, 09:19 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,004,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weedydidi View Post
I've posted here before that in my 14 years in Charlotte I was a victim of more crimes that in my 26 years living in other places.

Yes, crime is everywhere but there is no police protection in Charlotte and the courts are a revolving door for the criminals they arrest. Probation, dropped-charges, multiple felony arrests....it's a problem and saying that it's not doesn't help anyone.

Weedy! Have missed your posts!!!! I guess you have relocated now, right?

It would probably help if you would tell the newcomers what type of crimes you had to deal with, the circumstances, etc.

2,560 posts, read 7,707,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weedydidi View Post

There is Police protection. PLENTY Uptown!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraviolet* View Post
Not to mention we're all just MISERABLE. Forbes said so.

*signs up for the "Anti-move-to-Charlotte Committee"*
If I keep reading this thread I'm gonna be unemployed before the day is out! LOL You guys are hilarious today!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or