Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 02:58 PM

4,222 posts, read 7,897,063 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the 7 oh 4 View Post
I am realistic and GLAD I have a heart! I live Uptown and do see homeless people often on side streets and sleeping on a cold bench in 4th Ward Park when it is 21 degrees outside. My partner & I slip this woman money EVERYTIME we see her. Does she ask us NO...never! She is a human being. We even take her warm food sometimes and beverages & a blanket & a pillow. I have been blessed and it is my duty to help others.

Not tooting my own horn...but if everyone would just help out a little we could make a difference. I have a warm bed. I have food everyday. I have shelter. Am I better than any homeless person...ABSOLUTELY....NOT!!! Homeless people are not dangerous...just less fortunate!

Back to the OP....Epicentre...can't wait for it to finish!
Yes, some are not dangerous. In reality, many are. I feel sorry for those that have mental illness or that have had terrible situations in their lives that might have been beyond their control, but it is hard to tell which ones they are. Many homeless are in that situation simply because that is the manner in which they have chosen to live. I remember my son telling me when he ran a bagal shop in San Francisco and gave some homeless people left over bagles, they threw them at him, cussed him and told him to give them some money, they wanted drugs. Just be careful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2008, 04:27 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,951,581 times
Quote:
It use to be called "Downtown" until 1987.

Downtown Charlotte use to be very small only a few buildings and it was dirty and had crime and you would never go there unless you worked there.

Then they changed it to "Uptown" for a new image. If you have been Uptown...you know that for a center city...it is spotless clean, new, many buildings, alot of residential now and it is booming.

Downtown to me has a negative image. Uptown is more vibrant!

Plus it is perched up on a little hill so you have to go UP!
I'd rather call it uptown than center city. But honestly every city center is downtown to me.

Old 05-29-2008, 01:57 PM

187 posts, read 649,715 times
So this place has a afterwork party tonight. I don't know to many details though, theres gonna be beer and bands etc

Anyone have an address or website for this place?

Old 05-29-2008, 02:23 PM

4,729 posts, read 19,426,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burnhagw View Post
So this place has a afterwork party tonight. I don't know to many details though, theres gonna be beer and bands etc

I can tell you it's right next to the CTC/Arena stop from the light rail...you can't miss it. They are building a pedestrian bridge from the train to the Epicenter, but its not finished.

Old 05-29-2008, 02:26 PM

187 posts, read 649,715 times
gotcha

now to get memberships to all these places!

Old 05-29-2008, 03:33 PM

1,435 posts, read 5,767,934 times
Epicenter is very cool. I have been 3 times since last week and can't wait for the rest of the stuff to open up!!

Old 05-29-2008, 05:14 PM

2,742 posts, read 6,750,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burnhagw View Post

Here are two links below I'd posted in another thread...

EpiCentre At 5 - Charlotte's Best After Work Party! Every Thursday!!

Pavilion at EpiCentre - Charlotte, NC

Old 05-29-2008, 09:07 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,513,090 times
Something I thought was odd about Epicentre is they have escalator that goes up but I did not see one that goes down. I know over on the side there is an elevator so you do not have to climb all those steps but elevators can get packed quick is there a hidden down escalator I do not know about?

Old 05-29-2008, 09:10 PM

6,777 posts, read 13,551,038 times
Quote:
It use to be called "Downtown" until 1987.

Downtown Charlotte use to be very small only a few buildings and it was dirty and had crime and you would never go there unless you worked there.

Then they changed it to "Uptown" for a new image. If you have been Uptown...you know that for a center city...it is spotless clean, new, many buildings, alot of residential now and it is booming.

Downtown to me has a negative image. Uptown is more vibrant!

Plus it is perched up on a little hill so you have to go UP!

I have had this exact conversation w/ DH many times and gotthe same response...BUT, I was at an Estate Sale last summer and bought an old Diary from 1951 and upon reading it the young girl called Downtown = Uptown even in 1951, so I'm not sure how that came about really?

Last edited by sophialee; 05-29-2008 at 09:11 PM.. Reason: spelling!!

Old 05-29-2008, 09:44 PM

338 posts, read 897,164 times
Is a movie theatre still planned for the Epicentre?

I am moving to Charlotte from NYC and firmly believe that a development like Phillips Place should be built in Uptown. Uptown is utterly liferless and needs an infusion. Suburban Southpark and Ballantyne should not be the centers of social activity for this "city". Charlotte has a lot of potential and needs a shot in the arm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte