Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 10:49 PM

228 posts, read 907,626 times

Advertisements

Sunny- at 2am, or just a little before, the escalator changes from up to down!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2008, 10:58 PM

620 posts, read 2,109,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Londonlawyer View Post
Is a movie theatre still planned for the Epicentre?

I am moving to Charlotte from NYC and firmly believe that a development like Phillips Place should be built in Uptown. Uptown is utterly liferless and needs an infusion. Suburban Southpark and Ballantyne should not be the centers of social activity for this "city". Charlotte has a lot of potential and needs a shot in the arm.
Downtown is not "lifeless". I have a different perception than you do because I remember downtown 15 years ago and back then it was completely lifeless. It is not anymore. It has completely turned around and it gets better every year.

Anyways, to answer your question, there will still be a movie theater and a bowling alley.

Old 05-29-2008, 11:04 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,257,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmm051 View Post
Sunny- at 2am, or just a little before, the escalator changes from up to down!

You answer the great mystery lol.

I would never be there that late so I will take the word as golden, hehe.
I dont know why I didnt think it couldnt be reverse and Im sure I will not be the only one puzzled by this .

thanks

Old 05-29-2008, 11:15 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,257,797 times
Quote:
Is a movie theatre still planned for the Epicentre?

I am moving to Charlotte from NYC and firmly believe that a development like Phillips Place should be built in Uptown. Uptown is utterly liferless and needs an infusion. Suburban Southpark and Ballantyne should not be the centers of social activity for this "city". Charlotte has a lot of potential and needs a shot in the arm.
In the early years up to maybe around 1995 people was more into staying in their neighborhood to hang out and Uptown was mainly just buisness and cleared out at five. There was no arenas, stadiums or any reason for people to hang out uptown. This was true for alot of downtowns in this state.
I really feel bad for the buisness travelers drop off by cab back in those days because there was really nothing for them to do Uptown. You got to understand how the city was develop then to understand the way it is now.
If you wanted to go clubbing many neighborhoods did not want that in their backyard so you would find some clubs in old warehouses like the old Pterodacytel or Park Elevator.
It is easy for a newcomer and see what isnt here but for people who have been in this area see what it use to be like, what happen to make it grow and what it is like now and possibly will look like in the future.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyxmike View Post
Downtown is not "lifeless". I have a different perception than you do because I remember downtown 15 years ago and back then it was completely lifeless. It is not anymore. It has completely turned around and it gets better every year.

Anyways, to answer your question, there will still be a movie theater and a bowling alley.

I think the "life" that the Epicentre will bring to the city will thrive to bigger better things even though it is big and looks to be nice.

Old 05-30-2008, 07:29 AM

2,532 posts, read 3,431,989 times
The last time I was "uptown" past 5 it was still dead.

Old 05-30-2008, 09:34 AM

1,105 posts, read 4,557,874 times
It is dead except for Thurs, Fri, and Sats. Charlotte is still an up and coming city. It isn't NYC, DC, Miami, or name your favorite large city. It doesn't have the same demographics as those cities so won't have the same amenities. It isn't big enough to support 15000 clubs and bars. It is right about where it should be for a city of its size. If there was a demand for more bars and clubs there would be more bars and clubs. Name another city the size of charlotte that has had the growth Charlotte has had in the last 10 years that has better nightlife. The ones that do have been around for decades. Give uptown another 10-15 years and I bet it will be very different than it is now. I too think the Epicenter is a great start.

Old 05-30-2008, 09:51 AM

338 posts, read 893,130 times
Uptown needs a development like Charleston Place which has stores, fountains, plazas, etc. Since developments like that were built in the suburbs (e.g., Birkdale and Blakeney), I don't see why Crossland (or some developer) fails to do so in Uptown.

Old 05-30-2008, 10:12 AM

4,729 posts, read 19,359,070 times
A Muvico is planned for the Epicenter. Muvico plans on contracting the foodservice to us. www.muvico.com

MUVICO: Our Company

Says they will be opening theatres in NYC, DC, and Philly in 08 and 09

Old 05-30-2008, 10:36 AM

1,253 posts, read 4,694,913 times
pictures from last nights happy hour at epicenter

LazyDay.COM [The Source for Nightlife]

Old 05-30-2008, 10:46 AM

2,742 posts, read 6,718,682 times
Quote:
Uptown needs a development like Charleston Place which has stores, fountains, plazas, etc. Since developments like that were built in the suburbs (e.g., Birkdale and Blakeney), I don't see why Crossland (or some developer) fails to do so in Uptown.
The Epicentre will be an “urban” version of exactly what you’re talking about. It will be like Birkdale and Phillips Place, but the residential component will be a high rise building instead of two level apartments. There is also going to be an Aloft hotel, a movie theater, a bowling alley and an outdoor rooftop amphitheater what will host concerts. The “inner court” has an “open air” design, so you’ll essentially be outside as you walk through it. There’s also supposed to be nice signage, neon lights, yada, yada, yada. I think you’ll like it.

Here are three more similar projects that are currently under construction, two in the Midtown area…

NC Music Factory

Metropolitan • Charlotte, North Carolina • Pappas Properties

Elizabeth Avenue: at the intersection of cool and commerce
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte