Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 01:48 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygirl34 View Post
NoDa has been gentrifying for at least 10 years. I used to have high hopes for it but it seems to be shrinking rather than growing. What's going on with the Fat City building?
I wouldn't say it is "shrinking" - more like just not growing. Once the light rail goes thru though, watch out! It will be one of THE most convenient places to live along the light rail, as it goes right thru the center of it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2008, 01:52 PM

330 posts, read 1,035,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Actually, yes. I was hoping you would chime in on this thread - though I guess you might actually prefer to talk to others on dm I think? Good to see you here though
At what point does self interest override my natural inclination towards honesty?

Yeah, I will take PMs from anyone who wants to hear my story, which I am tentatively titling "8 Months in NoDA" or "What the Hell Happened to the Crap I Had Out On My Porch" or "How I Learned to Love Answering the Door With a Pistol In My Hand" or maybe "Who's In My Backyard Now" or perhaps "So THAT'S What Crack Smells Like ...."

Old 02-27-2008, 01:56 PM

20 posts, read 80,205 times
I live very close from Noda, in Villa heights
Bought there a year ago and living in the house for over 2 months, havent had any problem. ( I do have a dog and a alarm system )
The neighborhood is in transition and a lot of houses are getting renovated, definately a good investement

Old 02-27-2008, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAMF View Post
At what point does self interest override my natural inclination towards honesty?

Yeah, I will take PMs from anyone who wants to hear my story, which I am tentatively titling "8 Months in NoDA" or "What the Hell Happened to the Crap I Had Out On My Porch" or "How I Learned to Love Answering the Door With a Pistol In My Hand" or maybe "Who's In My Backyard Now" or perhaps "So THAT'S What Crack Smells Like ...."
You could write a book, I know! Makes me sad for you

Old 02-27-2008, 02:02 PM

330 posts, read 1,035,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
You could write a book, I know! Makes me sad for you
I think the important thing to note is that anyone looking in NoDA needs to look very closely at the street they are moving on to. Is it close to The Plaza? Is it fully gentrified yet? Is it a main thoroughfare for any sort of pedestrian traffic? Very important: is it near any convenience stores? Is it well lit at night?

I guess all of the above would be applicable to any urban neighborhood.

Old 02-27-2008, 05:41 PM

795 posts, read 4,536,783 times
LAMF, you are a funny someone! I'm sending you a DM now- I have a question about a specific development in NODA...

Old 02-28-2008, 08:39 AM

569 posts, read 1,409,073 times
I remember when trendy NoDa was called North Davidson. In my opionion it is still dangerous. Property values have increased alot in the past few years. I looked in there seven years ago but decided to buy in Chantilly instead. When I look at moving into a neighborhood that it is still in transition I say to myself "you are taking a risk but you could make some great money off of this investment". The only catch is I think NoDa has topped out already. If you have not bought yet I think you may be over paying. I think the time to buy was a few years ago. Now like Chantilly,Plaza Midwood or Noda you are paying more for the name than the investment. I would check out Eastway Park, Plaza Acres (the other side of the street from NoDa) Shamrock Hills or Merry Oaks.

Old 02-28-2008, 09:54 AM

4 posts, read 18,308 times
My cousin's lived in NoDa for 10 years and has always loved it. I would have loved it myself but was priced out the market 2 years ago when I was buying. He's never really had a problem - except for leaving pricey power tools on his porch. I always feel safe there and people are congenial to me when I'm walking my dogs.

Of course, I live in the Belmont neighborhood and always get a good chuckle reading threads about how scary and dangerous NoDa is.

Old 02-28-2008, 09:59 AM

2,560 posts, read 8,550,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntB View Post
My cousin's lived in NoDa for 10 years and has always loved it. I would have loved it myself but was priced out the market 2 years ago when I was buying. He's never really had a problem - except for leaving pricey power tools on his porch. I always feel safe there and people are congenial to me when I'm walking my dogs.

Of course, I live in the Belmont neighborhood and always get a good chuckle reading threads about how scary and dangerous NoDa is.
We go to church in Belmont (Charlotte not Gaston County). Even Belmont is changing!

The closer you live to North Davidson St the better. Once you get several blocks off it is more challenging!

I get a big chuckle when poster post stuff about Uptown being unsafe...come on!

Old 02-28-2008, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntB View Post

Well, if you live in Belmont you are already a pretty tough cookie, but if it works for you more power to you However you shouldn't laugh at the folks who say how dangerous NoDa is - they have had experiences there that you have been fortunate not to have where you live.

I feel certain you would not be laughing if you were the one who had had a gun shoved in your face and told to kneel on the curb while your belongings were being grabbed. You also would not be laughing if you lived on the street LAMF lived on where drug dealers accosted and threatened you every day - knowing they were watching you and just waiting for you to leave home so they could rip you off yet again. If all your cousin has lost is tools then he has been very lucky. I wouldn't temp fate by laughing at others who have had far worse happen to them - I hear that karma thing can be a bit*h.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte