U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 05:23 PM

807 posts, read 2,045,116 times

Advertisements

Just got an update from a reliable source. New Town Elem. went on lockdown due to machine gun fire. Apparently it was so loud officials at the school thought they had a madman on the premises, the kids were hiding in a group behind the teachers desks, police came. This is an outrage. I also heard that it sounded like Iraq this past weekend, guess he was upset over the press. This doctors practice should be boycotted and if some unfortunate accident occurs, he should be charged with murder.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2008, 06:41 PM

822 posts, read 2,544,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yrgm View Post
Just got an update from a reliable source. New Town Elem. went on lockdown due to machine gun fire. Apparently it was so loud officials at the school thought they had a madman on the premises, the kids were hiding in a group behind the teachers desks, police came. This is an outrage. I also heard that it sounded like Iraq this past weekend, guess he was upset over the press. This doctors practice should be boycotted and if some unfortunate accident occurs, he should be charged with murder.
The article describes an incident that occurred last Fall when the elementary school went to lock down due to the gunfire. Are you referring to the same incident or something more recent? Seems like something that would have been in the news if it happened recently.

Old 02-27-2008, 07:03 PM

Its probably the same incident, the article just mentions the kids were left inside and not hudled behind a teachers desk. There is also a commentary on page 16 in the earlier provided link. This subject bothers me to no end (as you can see). This is not a case of moving near the farm and then complaining about the stink. This is about reckless behavior with guns.

Old 02-27-2008, 08:23 PM

822 posts, read 2,544,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yrgm View Post
Its probably the same incident, the article just mentions the kids were left inside and not hudled behind a teachers desk. There is also a commentary on page 16 in the earlier provided link. This subject bothers me to no end (as you can see). This is not a case of moving near the farm and then complaining about the stink. This is about reckless behavior with guns.
I missed the letter from the resident. Thanks for pointing that out. One interesting part of this is that NC had no laws regulating shooting range noise until 1997 and that law is limited to ranges built since 1994. So at least in civil matters, the landowner probably couldn't be charged with disturbing the peace.

I think this is about more than reckless behavior with guns. After all the property owner was there before many of his neighbors. The same can be said for the shooting range just across the state line from Kensington Elementary and located behind Anklin Forest. But just to follow your line of thinking, was it reckless behavior before the school was built? Before Stonegate? Before Wesley Chapel's boundaries were drawn? Or has it always been reckless? If so, why is it only becoming an issue now?

When UCPS chose the land for New Town Elementary, did they know about the shooting range? I'm guessing as crowded as Union continues to be, school sites will become few and far between.

When Stonegate was built, did the builder/developer have to abide by some type of full disclosure law regarding the surrounding area? I would be interested to know how many residents of Stonegate were informed or researched the surrounding area. In Indian Land, SC many residents in a development on U.S. 521 bought townhomes next to land that became home to a concrete mixing facility. The reason? They didn't know what the land next door would be used for when they bought their new home. At the time, SC law did not require full disclosure.

I feel for anyone who has had their lives disrupted by this situation, not least of all the parents of New Town.

Old 02-27-2008, 08:34 PM

111 posts, read 124,517 times
I do not think this situation is as black + white as it seems. Check out this site The Village Scribe Online

Old 02-27-2008, 08:59 PM

I don't think it matters that the range was there first. When you buy a property you have the right to not have bullets wizzing through your backyard. As far as the noise, I have no issue. I question the responsibility of the range owner when bullets are leaving the property.

Old 02-27-2008, 09:09 PM

ok, I should have told you to read the comments others have written

Old 02-28-2008, 06:23 AM

I'm the wife of yrgm-I forget my user name since I never post so I hope he doesn't mind.
We do not live in Stonegate.We do not have an issue w/ the gentleman having the gunrange either. This is America. We realize he was there "first" and are aware of the laws that protect him. I do feel for the Stonegate residents as well as the families of New Town Elementary(which affects us)that have been affected by this. The thing that upsets me is supposedly Dr. Land agreed w/ New Town School after the 'lock down" in the fall that he would not use the range during school hours. Which on Dr. Lands part that was very nice. But the problems that the "moms" are hearing from what I understand- when they go during the day to volunteer or pick their child up early from school is that gunfire is still being heard while school is in progress. On the times that I have been there during school hours I personally have not heard gunfire.
I just wonder if the gun range backed up to his neighborhood where he lives would he fire machine guns as he does at the gun range in Wesley Chapel? What if it was his own neighborhood that was complaining and having articles written in the paper? Would he then make that weekend sound like they were living in Iraq and his neighbors finding bullets in their trees, in their backyards, etc...Would he be firing his guns near his childrens school when there are several children outside on a school playground-not knowing if there maybe a stray bullet that may hit a teacher or child?
Now IMO if the range meets the safety criteria and if he would agree to have it inspected and it is an unbiased inspection I would have no problem w/ him. I also think both him and Stonegate residents need to come to some sort of resolution. I realize not everyone will ever be happy but I think the complaints are about "safety" and I don't think most people want to see him shut down the range. My major concern is the "safety of the range." I wish he didn't cancel the inspection w/ Wesley Chapel being involved b/c now it appears that he may have something to hide.
Honestly, when I got the call from New Town School that they had to go on lockdown but they then determined where the gun fire came from I didn't think twice about it. I was actually relieved that it wasn't some "madman." The teachers even hid the children under the teachers desks as best they can to be away from windows and doors. IMO the school has been very understanding and responsible about this issue. But there needs to be a safety inspection completed on this gun range. "Things change" this is not back in the 1990's when there were no developments or no school systems in the area.

Last edited by yrgm; 02-28-2008 at 06:58 AM..

Old 02-28-2008, 08:31 AM

As a mother, I understand your concern. I cannot even imagine how I would feel if my children were at one of those schools, especially near that particular range. This issue is not a new one. Wesley Chapel has been well aware of this situation for many years. Residents of Stonegate have been complaining about Dr Land for quite some time (@8 yrs maybe more). He has complied with everything until very recently. Union County should NEVER have built a school there (I do not buy for a min that they were unaware of the range). I believe it is the countys responsibility to insure the safety of our children. From what I hear, the school does not even have a fence around the property.
I have been reading another local forum that is having this exact same conversation. Guess its a hot topic.

Last edited by cjb113072; 02-28-2008 at 09:54 AM..

Old 02-28-2008, 11:08 AM

It's the wife again...Yes it should be the county to ensure safety but Dr. Land needs to be held accountable. Common sense needs to take affect. The town and county should some how step in. I realize he was here first and the laws-- but if a stray bullet hits someone is that going to be his defense. Well I was here first and I had the right to fire on my gun range property b/c that's the law back in 1990's. And, oh well too bad for that family that lost their loved one. Yes he has the right to fire on his property but he does not have the right to have stray bullets going on peoples property, having a school go into lockdown etc.. What if there really is a "Madman" in that area w/ a gun and the school just thinks it's Dr. Land again and don't take the necessary precautions b/c they are so used to him firing his guns. I know that sounds crazy but anything is possible these days. Yes most likely the county knew about the range before the school was built. But whats done is done and the school isn't going anywhere and neither is Stone Gate. Look gun range+development+ school+ children+people there needs to be a safety inspection.There's no need for the gun range to be shut down-probably an inspection would end a lot of speculation on his part. As far as the fence around the school what school has a fence around their entire school property that is built upon so much acreage in this area. I've visited alot of areas before we bought in the area and I can't remember one school having a fence around their entire property.

Last edited by yrgm; 02-28-2008 at 11:23 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte