U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 11:20 AM

111 posts, read 124,671 times

Advertisements

I understand what you are saying, and I agree with you. However, there seems to be a dispute as to the safety of the range. This was posted on a diff forum (not sure if I am supposed to credit that person or site) The Village Scribe Online Tommy Guns in Wesley Chapel! Suburban Growth and a Backyard Shooting Gallery Collide scroll down a bit and read the comments. Anyway, my point is, I felt the same way as you do before I read this. Now, I wonder if we are getting the whole story. Some newspapers are known for only showing one side of the issue. Maybe that is the case with this story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2008, 11:36 AM

807 posts, read 2,046,159 times
I've read the article twice and there are mixed opinions.

Old 02-28-2008, 11:55 AM

It is hard to know what to believe when we are only hearing one side of the story. Many people were upset about the other gun range down there, too.

Old 02-28-2008, 11:59 AM

I wish Dr. Land would speak out to hear his side. He should call the local paper and ask for an interview he should probably even have a lawyer present to make sure what he is saying doesn't cause anymore speculation about the range.

Old 02-28-2008, 12:52 PM

45,269 posts, read 88,605,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yrgm View Post
I don't think it matters that the range was there first. When you buy a property you have the right to not have bullets wizzing through your backyard. As far as the noise, I have no issue. I question the responsibility of the range owner when bullets are leaving the property.
Actually, it DOES matter. People buying homes in new developments where just about anything could potentially exist in the future, or already exist. have the responsibility to do their due diligence. It is not Dr. Land's fault that developers chose to build where they built or homeowners chose to buy where they bought. He was there first, did everything LAWFULLY and has the right to enjoy his property the way he has enjoyed it for years. People should redirect their anger at him to the real culprit in this fiasco - the developer and the county officials.

Old 02-28-2008, 01:23 PM

From the wife re: Loves post above-So since he has the right since he was there "first"-What are his rights if a stray bullet gets someone that is either in their backyard on their own property or on school grounds? Is that the fault of the owner at Stone gate or the developer when little Joey gets shot from playing in his backyard? I can see the posts now -well Dr. Land did everything LAWFULLY and was there FIRST according to the laws of 1990's? Is he right b/c he is "grandfathered in" by law to potentilly shoot someone because he was shooting on his property and oops the bullet strayed away? Are we supposed to wait until a life is taken or someone gets shot? Is that when ppl will WAKE UP and say yeah there really should have been an inspection? I respect that he is grandfathered in and has followed the laws from the 1990's. Is it that bad that newcomers want a safety inspection. That's basically it. Most ppl are asking for a safety inspection-Is that so difficult???

Last edited by yrgm; 02-28-2008 at 02:57 PM..

Old 02-28-2008, 07:11 PM

I agree, it would be nice for him to have the inspection. However, that is not all people are asking for. They have been asking for...just one more little thing... since 2001. He has been complying for 7 + years. Maybe he is tired of trying to please people who are never going to be happy (as long as he is still shooting guns near their houses). Anyone who discharges any weapon is COMPLETELY RESPONSIBLE for the bullet regardless of where it goes. If one of his bullets were to stray, I am reasonably sure it would be considered manslaughter. I am also pretty sure as a gun owner, he knows there is always risk involved. I have to believe if he qualified for a Class III weapon permit, he is a responsible gun owner.

Old 02-28-2008, 07:40 PM

cjb, Thanks. I know it would probably be considered manslaughter and he would be responsible -I was trying to make a point. Unfortunately, I don't think this issue will go away any time soon. I have a feeling it will be a long time before Stonegate and Dr. Land come to any conclusions. Again like I said in a previous post I agree that certain ppl will never be happy w/ the outcome.

Old 02-29-2008, 09:21 AM

I know you were trying to make a point. I understand why you are upset. There is no way I would let my child go to that school until they prove the kids are safe. This is the countys responsibility. If they cannot verify the safety of the range, they need to find another way to protect the children (even if it takes a 25 ft concrete wall). The children should come first in this situation. I am very concerned that the county does not feel the same way. They have known about this for A LONG TIME. Now we are at the mercy of one property owner (not that he is doing anything wrong, but the law is on his side right now). The stray bullets...I do not know if I believe this. Did they dig the bullet out of the tree? What kind of bullet is it? How do they know it is Dr Lands bullet? How long has the bullet been in the tree? There is just no proof for those kind of allegations.

Old 02-29-2008, 10:15 AM

3,326 posts, read 4,546,534 times
It appears the doctor has abided by all rules and regulations. He was here first and the residents of Stonegate should have been made aware of the gun range. I would hope the Dr. ensures the safety of the residents surrounding his range. Is his range totally encircled by the development? If not, can he shoot towards an area where no houses are?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte