Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 07:39 PM

232 posts, read 728,639 times

Advertisements

I lived in Stonegate- yes we heard the gun range daily- Everybody knew about the owner of the land and the shooting range. This was old news
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2008, 07:56 PM

232 posts, read 728,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondplayer View Post
WELL SAID! I just read the article in the Union County Weekly this morning and am surprised the editor Pat Higgins put her name to it. It is so clearly one-sided. Here are three quotes from the article, two are suspect and the other pretty silly, to be nice. First, Mike and Kathy Paterson say "bullets still whiz by their property". If true it could substantiated, but no investigation followed. Second, Mr. Sullivan states the agent told him "Every single time someone came in (to see the home), the firing started. Now that has to be a stretch of the truth by a mile, and that coming from a real estate agent, reasonable. Thirdly, Mr. Sullivan states "Dr. Land needs to put his ego aside and sell his property and put his gun range further into the country". How many years has the doctor lived in Union county as compared to the majority of residents in Stonegate? How could this have not been an issue when prospective buyers were looking at lots in the development? All of those people who bought in Stonegate never heard any gunfire until after the home was built and lived in? The connection that the village councilwoman who resides in Stongate AND gets a check from the Weekly is highly suspect. Even she moved in, did she not know of the range before signing contracts? Sounds like a whole lot of buyers remorse. RESEARCH, RESEARCH, RESEARCH

I am just lurking here, reading these comments. We moved in 2004 at the top of Crestgate Road, and did not find out about the shooting range until after we moved in. I remember hearing the gun shots and asking a neighbor and they just told me about the Dr. and his land close by and how he shoots daily..and that was the end of it. We moved from MA so how the hec would we find out about this even with all the research in the world- until after we moved in the neighborhood, I guess if we did more drive by's...prior to purchase we probably could have figured it out. And of course if you have a relo package, you don't necessarily have a realtor who is truly familiar with all of union county...
just my thoughts

Old 03-06-2008, 04:15 PM

59 posts, read 168,997 times
Default Thank you

I just wanted to say thank you to all of your responses. I just relocated with my family and I guess, fortunately, have not sold our house up north and are renting and exploring the area. Had we sold immediately and needed to buy right away, I'm sure we would not have found out about the gun firing prior to putting down a contract.

As I have the choice and knowledge of the situation, I know that I will not voluntarily choose to live in this neighborhood due to the noise.

I see both sides of the contraversy now and appreciate all the feedback once again.

mbina05

Old 03-06-2008, 06:00 PM

27 posts, read 33,275 times
Why should Dr Land have to sell his property and move further out? If he is firing his weapons safely (we will know soon enough), I see no problems. The noise argument is moot.

Old 03-07-2008, 05:43 AM

3,662 posts, read 9,668,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillLMAO View Post
Why should Dr Land have to sell his property and move further out? If he is firing his weapons safely (we will know soon enough), I see no problems. The noise argument is moot.
Yes, bullets leaving the property is one issue, but complaining of noise is another. Those complaing of noise have no foot to stand on. Maybe they should move further into the city.

Old 03-07-2008, 09:01 AM

Yes, exactly. They should move in!

Old 03-07-2008, 05:24 PM

8,877 posts, read 13,915,570 times
I get a kick out the the realtor claiming that he hears gunfire EVERY time he shows a house there, yet people buy the houses and claim they didn't know about the gunfire until they moved in. Hmmmm....

Sounds to me like people are trying to team up on this guy. So long as the bullets stay on his property, there is no basis to take action.

Imagine if he tried to build a drag strip on his land???

Old 03-07-2008, 05:47 PM

1,031 posts, read 2,427,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes17 View Post
I get a kick out the the realtor claiming that he hears gunfire EVERY time he shows a house there, yet people buy the houses and claim they didn't know about the gunfire until they moved in. Hmmmm....

Sounds to me like people are trying to team up on this guy. So long as the bullets stay on his property, there is no basis to take action.

Imagine if he tried to build a drag strip on his land???
Funny you mention a drag strip. When I was a kid, Charlotte had the Shuffletown Dragstrip, way out Hwy 16. It had been in business for over 25 years, and was well run. It provided a place for us to take our cars out and race without getting out on the roads and doing so. The owner was on site every weekend and provided a clean environment and didn't allow any BS. Well..as time went by, growth surrounded the dragstrip, and the neighborhoods got closer and closer and the complaints started about the noise and how property values were suffering. They went to the city council and they passed a law against the strip. Soon, the owner was forced to close his strip and he sold it to a developer. I think now there's a neighborhood out there on the site that got hit hard with foreclosures and have many boarded up houses. Meanwhile kids that want to race cars, just do it in streets or in the backs of industrial parks.

Unfortunate as it is, Dr. Land is probably going to lose this situation, even if his range is deemed safe by the UC Sherriff, the NRA, the NFL or the NHRA. He's been painted as some type of nut and that anyone who has automatic weapons are evil. That type of attitude truly isn't fair, but not surprising all things considered. Maybe if the residents of Stonegate offered to buy Dr. Land's property at a reasonable price that might even up the tables some. Its sad that it has to be one way or no way and that a compromise can't be worked out. I don't think the residents of Crestgate Ln understand that there's more of a danger from the hunters that deer hunt the area down Waxhaw-Indian Trail Rd over behind NTES than Land's range. There's also more danger on the narrow, twisty New Town Rd than from the range as well.

Oh well, one more freedom down the tubes.....but the price of progress sometimes is steep I guess....I wonder how long before someone goes after the other private gun range over near Kensington. Wouldn't wan't those property values to drop any either....

Old 03-09-2008, 01:46 PM

I think people already tried to go after the other range and lost. I hope they lose this time too. I, personally, would love to see the bullet/s that supposedly belong to Dr Land. I do not know him, but I know many gun enthusiasts. Most are borderline psycho about gun safety!

Old 03-09-2008, 04:31 PM

60 posts, read 157,815 times
Default Why blame the doctor?

I find it strange after reading some of the postings, that people claim bullets are whizzing over their heads and onto their property. If this were the case, there would be evidence of this, such as bullet holes in homes, garages, cars, etc.

People have a responsibility themselves to investigate a neighborhood before plunking down their money on a home. They should know that most realtors are not going to divulge info regarding a neighbor who owns a private shooting range, aircraft landing strip or submarine base.

Instead of boycotting his place of business, maybe people who are upset about this situation should boycott their realtor for not advising them of a situation that they were well aware of.

People who speak of boycotting his business aren't thinking very clearly as they might then find out the doctor might decide to start shooting during daytime (school) hours again, which BTW is perfectly legal.

Like it or not, landowners living here long before "transplants" arrived have rights also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte