U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 08:10 PM

7,928 posts, read 17,754,110 times

Advertisements

aero plantation which I believe is where the plan was going to land on his sons driveway/runway? its right behind weddington chase or very close to it...my friend has friends that live there and it was 2 houses down from them in Weddington Chase where the plan crashed...back to the original topic at hand
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2008, 06:11 PM

11,836 posts, read 25,431,580 times
Pretty sad & shortsighted.

Charlotte Observer | 03/31/2008 | Town to consider gun ordinance (http://www.charlotte.com/breaking_news/story/560745.html - broken link)

Old 04-01-2008, 11:32 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,004,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
Pretty sad & shortsighted.

Charlotte Observer | 03/31/2008 | Town to consider gun ordinance (http://www.charlotte.com/breaking_news/story/560745.html - broken link)
Wow. Isn't that an over-reaction - to pass a gun ordinance rather than just address the issue at hand? Seems rather draconian to me. Looks to me that the better way to address this would be thru/ zoning or an ordinance that specifically has to do w/ rifle ranges/gun clubs/etc.

Old 04-01-2008, 11:41 AM

11,836 posts, read 25,431,580 times
Maybe they could just pay for a suppressor for Dr. Land's Thompson.

Old 04-01-2008, 11:49 AM

1,242 posts, read 3,661,977 times
Default wait what is the story about the plane?

We have a landing strip near us...with tons of little planes.

Old 04-02-2008, 07:31 PM

822 posts, read 2,540,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Wow. Isn't that an over-reaction - to pass a gun ordinance rather than just address the issue at hand? Seems rather draconian to me. Looks to me that the better way to address this would be thru/ zoning or an ordinance that specifically has to do w/ rifle ranges/gun clubs/etc.
They tabled it after a "contentious meeting" but the proposed ordinance would "limit hunting to within town limits with neighbors' permission."

It's a strange situation but it's still his property, he shouldn't need permission.

Old 04-26-2008, 01:55 PM

8 posts, read 14,611 times
Let's use some common sense. Do you really think its a good idea to fire guns in a subdivision?

I can just picture Ole' Jed (who barely kept his family fed) stepping off the back deck to shoot some varmints with his AK47. Oh, lets not worry about a stray bullet or ricochet. It's the my right to endanger my next door neighbor and his kids. Hey! man its my second amendment right. Don't tread on me.

Dr. Machine Gun is not issue since he is protected from by State Sport Range act, but he was the catalyst for the town council to look at the issue. Let's not forget that the towns rules and regulations evolve over time. New laws are added as necessary. This is a ten year old town whose population has quadrupled over the last 6 years.

I am not telling you anything new, government is reactive. Too many accidents at an intersection leads to a traffic light, roving packs of k9s lead to leash laws and urban density leads to firearm ordinances. Duh.

I'll give the town credit for talking their time, asking for public input, hell even Dr. Gatlingun offered his considerable expertise. You want to live in a bunker then move to Montana, if you want to live in a safe community then you need rules for everyone to live by.

Old 09-19-2008, 12:47 PM

45,270 posts, read 88,294,482 times
Update to the story...

I hope Dr. Land sues Wesley Chapel

Wesley Chapel says man must stop using gun range | WCNC.com | Local News for Charlotte, North Carolina | Top Stories (http://www.wcnc.com/news/topstories/stories/wcnc-091808-mw-gunrange.8d2b3ab8.html - broken link)

Old 09-19-2008, 01:49 PM

5,553 posts, read 6,667,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Update to the story...

I hope Dr. Land sues Wesley Chapel

Wesley Chapel says man must stop using gun range | WCNC.com | Local News for Charlotte, North Carolina | Top Stories (http://www.wcnc.com/news/topstories/stories/wcnc-091808-mw-gunrange.8d2b3ab8.html - broken link)
loves - I suspect he will! I thought this was semi-resolved in that he was "grandfathered in". But I guess the town had other ideas. Apart from the safety issues, which after seeing a picture of his bunker, appear to be somewhat minimal, they may be able to zone him out because of the "noise" generated by his range! Being from NJ, where lawyers are as ubiquitous as fire ants are down here, I can surmise myriad ways where the citizens can probably sue him and the town of Wesley Chapel if they don't prohibit him from using his range! You would think he could come up with silencers for his collection that would largely eliminate the noise aspect, but then, I know "diddly" about guns!

Old 09-19-2008, 02:17 PM

3,322 posts, read 4,532,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trupac View Post
Let's use some common sense. Do you really think its a good idea to fire guns in a subdivision?

I can just picture Ole' Jed (who barely kept his family fed) stepping off the back deck to shoot some varmints with his AK47. Oh, lets not worry about a stray bullet or ricochet. It's the my right to endanger my next door neighbor and his kids. Hey! man its my second amendment right. Don't tread on me.

Dr. Machine Gun is not issue since he is protected from by State Sport Range act, but he was the catalyst for the town council to look at the issue. Let's not forget that the towns rules and regulations evolve over time. New laws are added as necessary. This is a ten year old town whose population has quadrupled over the last 6 years.

I am not telling you anything new, government is reactive. Too many accidents at an intersection leads to a traffic light, roving packs of k9s lead to leash laws and urban density leads to firearm ordinances. Duh.

I'll give the town credit for talking their time, asking for public input, hell even Dr. Gatlingun offered his considerable expertise. You want to live in a bunker then move to Montana, if you want to live in a safe community then you need rules for everyone to live by.

That's it; move to a new place and immediately expect those that already live there to cater to your needs and wishes. Dr. Land was there long before these people moved in. It's a shame people aren't allowed to practice a Constitutional right on their own PRIVATE property.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte