U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2008, 06:44 PM

8 posts, read 14,641 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike409 View Post
Nice of you to assume that the land owner uses an Ak47 and that he is reckless enough to use his firearms as to endanger others. Just for your information, if someone has enough property to construct a proper shooting range, it can be safe enough as to not endanger others by ricochets and stray bullets.

It's his property. He was there first. If people just moved to the area and don't like what the land owner does on his property, then move.
Mike, I was teasing about the AK47, as the good Dr. has reportedly a Thompson Sub-machine gun and a pre-1980's automatic weapons.

Urban encroachment rules the day, always has -- always will. Just ask an American indian. He was here first doesn't cut it when your property adjoins a subdividsion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2008, 02:44 PM

1,031 posts, read 2,147,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yrgm View Post
I know what its like its like to have outsiders take over the rural areas you grew up on, but it doesn't make it right to fire bullets in their direction and say too bad, I was here first.
I dunno, seems like a really good way to stop some of the growth that's been going on around here.

I understand the issue and it was not about safety or the noise, it was about property value ($$$), but this case it got personal. Wesley Chapel can deny it all they want, but this was nothing more than Stonegate v Dr. Land. If Bradford (and I think another board member) hadn't lived in Stonegate, this wouldn't have been that big of issue. Land wanted to negotiate this to a resolution that would have worked for everyone. He made improvements to the area and paid for the NRA to inspect it. He had the sheriff come out and inspect it. Both said there was no issue with safety. He agreed not to fire during school hours. He had agreed to curtail his shooting to certain hours of the day. Seems like he was doing everything he could to meet the neighborhood somewhere in the middle, but the 'Gaters only wanted it their way and used legislation to do it. The only thing they are concerned about is resale value. WC Board could have easily put this thing on a ballot and let the voter's decide, but would have probably lost. 'Gaters are still grousing about what happened with Union Electric and not getting their way with the electric station. I think it's funny now that Union Electric has built the station that the highest berms around it, face away from Stonegate. I hope Land sues, wins and gets to shoot across the front entrance to Stonegate when ever he wants.

It's just another example of "community organizers" taking rights away from people just because they are afraid. Hmmmm sounds an awful like something else going on in current events.

Old 09-26-2008, 06:04 PM

60 posts, read 140,070 times
I'm keeping my fingers crossed that we haven't heard the last from Dr. Land. There are a lot of people like myself who believe he has every right to continue his target shooting hobby that is not in any way endangering his neighbors.

Let's face it, most of the people complaining about him know next to nothing about guns except what they see in the movies and TV. They fear what they don't understand.

Personally, I'd like to see golf banned. Nothing more frightning than seeing some duffer swinging a club wildly and directing a little white missle at bystanders. Now that's dangerous.

Then after lying about their score, they head off to the 19th hole, put down a few and then climb into their BMW and drive home while under the influence.

Then of course there's always tennis............

Old 09-26-2008, 08:06 PM

4,507 posts, read 8,024,983 times
On what basis did the town declare his range to be illegal from the start??

Old 09-26-2008, 11:05 PM

7 posts, read 14,706 times
The city claims a "special use permit "has been necessary in Union Co. since 1988 . Unfortunately for them that is a total falsehood. No special use permit was needed in 1988,1991,1994,1997.1998 or in 2008-the "city" just made that one up and it is being challenged in court. The landowner will prevail and continue to enjoy his range as he has for 17+ years.

Old 09-26-2008, 11:23 PM

45,269 posts, read 88,516,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simbachui View Post
The city claims a "special use permit "has been necessary in Union Co. since 1988 . Unfortunately for them that is a total falsehood. No special use permit was needed in 1988,1991,1994,1997.1998 or in 2008-the "city" just made that one up and it is being challenged in court. The landowner will prevail and continue to enjoy his range as he has for 17+ years.
I sure hope you are right!

Old 09-27-2008, 07:47 PM

7 posts, read 14,706 times
An appeal has been filed-it is in the court system now!

Old 09-28-2008, 05:47 PM

575 posts, read 1,351,708 times
Looks like another hit job by Pat Higgins of the Union County Weekly. In this weeks rant she claims that people have made numerous calls because they hear gunfire from Dr. Lands property and that the police are not taking action. When the police responded they did not hear or observe any shooting taking place. According to Higgins, Dr. Land is guilty because of the 'thousands of shells carpeting the backyard'. What a solid conclusion, what a simpleton. The deputy who responded talked to Dr Land who said that he did not do any shooting. That wasn't good enough for a nearby citizen, Bill McGuirt, a county attorney who felt the need to 'remind' Dr Land of the ordinance. I hope the Dr. told the attorney to get off his property or he would have the deputy arrest him.
So this 'reporting' isn't TOO biased, her agenda is so transparent. And she is now on her way to alienating the Sheriff and his deputies with her attitude, not a good idea. I have heard the gunfire in the past but it has been a long time since I have heard it last, were talking months here. Just another case of harassment as far as I can see. I do hope that the doctor seeks relief in the court system by this runaway editor.

Old 09-28-2008, 08:42 PM

807 posts, read 2,044,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondplayer View Post
Looks like another hit job by Pat Higgins of the Union County Weekly. In this weeks rant she claims that people have made numerous calls because they hear gunfire from Dr. Lands property and that the police are not taking action. When the police responded they did not hear or observe any shooting taking place. According to Higgins, Dr. Land is guilty because of the 'thousands of shells carpeting the backyard'. What a solid conclusion, what a simpleton. The deputy who responded talked to Dr Land who said that he did not do any shooting. That wasn't good enough for a nearby citizen, Bill McGuirt, a county attorney who felt the need to 'remind' Dr Land of the ordinance. I hope the Dr. told the attorney to get off his property or he would have the deputy arrest him.
So this 'reporting' isn't TOO biased, her agenda is so transparent. And she is now on her way to alienating the Sheriff and his deputies with her attitude, not a good idea. I have heard the gunfire in the past but it has been a long time since I have heard it last, were talking months here. Just another case of harassment as far as I can see. I do hope that the doctor seeks relief in the court system by this runaway editor.
From the wife,
We do not live in Stonegate(and we live a few miles from his property) but over the last 3 weeks and it's mostly on the weekend you can still hear the gunfire. Actually just last Friday or Saturday(can't remember exact day but it was the weekend) I believe it was around 6:30 pm my neighbors and I heard what sounded like a semi automatic gun. My 9 year old and his friends commented on the sound and said it sounded like an "awesome" machine gun. I wasn't aware of the whole permit issue that has taken place. I also didn't realize that he was not allowed to use the range anymore. I have not been keeping up w/ the news about his property. But last weekend someone was using the range and some weekends prior to last weekend it was getting used. I have not heard anything this weekend. We live miles from Dr. Land's property but we are still able to hear the gun fire esp. when he uses the automatics. Now I'm not complaining about the noise or about him - so hope I don't get attacked -just letting you all know that last Sat. someone was obviously using a gun;it was definatley a loud automatic sound. Not sure of what type.

Last edited by yrgm; 09-28-2008 at 08:59 PM..

Old 09-29-2008, 08:32 AM

575 posts, read 1,351,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yrgm View Post
From the wife,
We do not live in Stonegate(and we live a few miles from his property) but over the last 3 weeks and it's mostly on the weekend you can still hear the gunfire. Actually just last Friday or Saturday(can't remember exact day but it was the weekend) I believe it was around 6:30 pm my neighbors and I heard what sounded like a semi automatic gun. My 9 year old and his friends commented on the sound and said it sounded like an "awesome" machine gun. I wasn't aware of the whole permit issue that has taken place. I also didn't realize that he was not allowed to use the range anymore. I have not been keeping up w/ the news about his property. But last weekend someone was using the range and some weekends prior to last weekend it was getting used. I have not heard anything this weekend. We live miles from Dr. Land's property but we are still able to hear the gun fire esp. when he uses the automatics. Now I'm not complaining about the noise or about him - so hope I don't get attacked -just letting you all know that last Sat. someone was obviously using a gun;it was definatley a loud automatic sound. Not sure of what type.
Your post is probably 100% correct. I have only heard automatic weapons fired and probably cannot hear the firing of a semi-automatic as easy. But I haven't heard automatic weapons fired in a LONG time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte