U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 10:15 PM

10,732 posts, read 31,716,561 times

Advertisements

I have been reading about things like this and they say that houses are more likely to be broken into between 6am to 6pm, they are hoping people aren't home. One way they make sure is to ring the doorbell first.

My assumption is that people assume I am NOT home, my truck is in the garage. I never open the door to someone I don't know.

I have heard people like this will use all kinds of excuses, like my car broke down, I lost my dog, etc. Don't fall for it, be very careful.

Please, please, I hope everyone will do the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2008, 11:53 PM

11,836 posts, read 25,431,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
OH, do you have Mr. Mossberg at your house, too? <click click>
Mr. Kimber is in residence here.

Old 02-28-2008, 05:21 AM

10,732 posts, read 31,716,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
Mr. Kimber is in residence here.
LOL@Mr. Kimber

Pictures?

Old 02-28-2008, 05:36 AM

14,115 posts, read 20,816,661 times
Hi people. I can honestly say that here in Miami, we don't have door to door salesman and I'm pretty sure its because you'll get blown away instantly. I guess when I move up there, I'll have to make a sign for my house that says no solicitors.

Now as far as my "roommates", I have Mr. H and K, Mr. Mossberg, Mr. Smith and Wesson, Mr. Keltec (car buddy with Mr. Police Baton too) and finally Mr. Magnum Research or IMI.

Old 02-28-2008, 07:05 AM

1,907 posts, read 4,446,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whytewulf View Post
I do, I know we live in an "unsafe" society, but I still answer it. Yep, I may be a victim, but you know what I would rather be a victim, than live in fear. I still play it safe and if they look unsavory, then I may not. But I am putting in a peep whole in my new door, and will even get door blocks. Maybe I feel a bit couragous based on age and size, but again I am not stupid. Besides, I normally am in lounge gear by the time I get home, so I can't really answer the door in boxers and a t-shirt.
What are door blocks????

Old 02-28-2008, 09:27 AM

422 posts, read 1,214,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Well you do just have to wonder!!!

Three weeks ago, during the week, 2 guys showed up at our house, but we have a very intimidating doggie. She is a sweetie but has been trained as a guard dog. So she goes absolutely balllistic when anyone walks on the property unless we call her down. She was snarling and carrying on and my DH put her on a leash and let her continue the snarling as he opened the door. THe one guy ran away from the house. The one that stayed backed up and yelled he was selling magazines . . . and DH said - not here - we aren't interested.

The guy said "Will that dog bite?" and DH said - "Only if I don't call her off." The guy turned around and walked quickly up the driveway.

Now these guys did not have dredlocks, or if they did, they had them tucked up under their baseball caps (but I don't think they could get all that hair under a cap).

We called the neighbors on each side and they said they had already run the guys off. I don't know if these guys are related to the stuff that has happened, but why solicitors come to people's homes these days (unless they know you) is just S T U P I D.
OH WOW!!!!!! I ALSO had the creepy magazine sales person at my door! This kid (he was maybe in his early twenties) was banging on my door and ringing the door bell. I did not ope my door, but I yelled "who is it?" and he said "Its your neighbor"...../ I know all my neighbors and he was not one of them. I did not open the door, but then I saw him go to the neighbors, and she answered the door... and he was saying that his "Aunt" lives down the street... blah, blah, blah..... of course that was a lie.

We all ended up calling the cops.

I have to tell you... lately Ive been more scared then I have ever been... I dont know if its because Im older, more aware or what, but this stuff is freaking me out.

Also, my fiance was not home when the kid was banging on my door.

But it freaked me out!

DONT ANSWER THE DOOR, Folks! Its not worth it. My and my nieghbors all have each others phone numbers if we need something. And another thing- those days of door to door saleman are OVER. Nobody should be kocking at your door, especially at night.

FYI- the cops did tell me that, legally, sales people can come to your door up until 8pm at night and in the summer 9pm!!!! And even if your neighborhood says no soliciting, I guess it doesnt matter unless you have that sign on your personal property.

Old 02-28-2008, 09:33 AM

11,836 posts, read 25,431,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewBeginnings12 View Post
FYI- the cops did tell me that, legally, sales people can come to your door up until 8pm at night and in the summer 9pm!!!! And even if your neighborhood says no soliciting, I guess it doesnt matter unless you have that sign on your personal property.
There's more door to door salespeople out there today because of the do not call lists.

Old 02-28-2008, 10:30 AM

1,242 posts, read 3,661,977 times
Default Solicitation

We get a ton of people knocking on our door. It is so weird and annoying. Even a ton of kids without their parents I still don't get the door unelss I see a parent. We opened it once and it was three little kids askinf for money for some beauty pagent and put it this way the definitely were not part of a pagent.

Old 02-28-2008, 11:07 AM

241 posts, read 813,576 times
did anybody ever answer the question of where you get these alerts from?

Old 02-28-2008, 11:11 AM

45,270 posts, read 88,294,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by damaranicole View Post
did anybody ever answer the question of where you get these alerts from?
Simple, go on the CMPD website and select "notify me" on the left hand side of the screen

Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department (http://www.charmeck.org/Departments/CMPD/home.htm?header=www%2ecmpd%2eorg - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte