Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 11:12 AM

11,839 posts, read 28,939,538 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
LOL@Mr. Kimber

Pictures?
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2002-...INJ-Kimber.jpg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2008, 12:38 PM

241 posts, read 891,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Simple, go on the CMPD website and select "notify me" on the left hand side of the screen

Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department (http://www.charmeck.org/Departments/CMPD/home.htm?header=www%2ecmpd%2eorg - broken link)
Thanks. I was looking at another section of the notify me part and it had said "up to date information about the website" and not necessarily crime alerts.

Old 02-28-2008, 01:39 PM

450 posts, read 2,320,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJPost32 View Post
We get a ton of people knocking on our door. It is so weird and annoying. Even a ton of kids without their parents I still don't get the door unelss I see a parent. We opened it once and it was three little kids askinf for money for some beauty pagent and put it this way the definitely were not part of a pagent.
In Concord we got tons of kids selling candy, and we never bought. One of neighbors would buy from all of them and half the time they never came back and delivered. This is why I don't buy from any of them, even some I'm sure who are legit and it's also probably why parents are at work selling their kids' fundraising stuff.

We also got a lot of religious solicitors coming to ask us if we know our Lord. Now my grandfather was a Baptist minister and he was the most kind, nonjudgemental man I ever knew. But I still find the religious solicitors highly annoying. We had SO many, almost every weekend. They won't take no for an answer, we'd have to shut the door on them or just not open. A group of Jehovah's Witness caugh me off guard when I was alone unloading my infant from the car. I didn't like being approached by a group of people this way, while trying to get my baby into the house and it was obvious. I wonder if they EVER approach someone unsolicited and win them over?

We also got vacuum cleaner, cable tv, and encyclopedia salesmen. Do people still buy home encyclopedias, do they even still make them in the Internet age?? But my point is, with all the criminal going around these days it's a wonder cities just don't put ordinances into affect about no soliciting in the communities, period. The very last people to come to our home before we moved were neighbors petitioning for a neighborhood watch!

Old 02-28-2008, 02:26 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLily7 View Post
In Concord we got tons of kids selling candy, and we never bought. One of neighbors would buy from all of them and half the time they never came back and delivered. This is why I don't buy from any of them, even some I'm sure who are legit and it's also probably why parents are at work selling their kids' fundraising stuff.

We also got a lot of religious solicitors coming to ask us if we know our Lord. Now my grandfather was a Baptist minister and he was the most kind, nonjudgemental man I ever knew. But I still find the religious solicitors highly annoying. We had SO many, almost every weekend. They won't take no for an answer, we'd have to shut the door on them or just not open. A group of Jehovah's Witness caugh me off guard when I was alone unloading my infant from the car. I didn't like being approached by a group of people this way, while trying to get my baby into the house and it was obvious. I wonder if they EVER approach someone unsolicited and win them over?

We also got vacuum cleaner, cable tv, and encyclopedia salesmen. Do people still buy home encyclopedias, do they even still make them in the Internet age?? But my point is, with all the criminal going around these days it's a wonder cities just don't put ordinances into affect about no soliciting in the communities, period. The very last people to come to our home before we moved were neighbors petitioning for a neighborhood watch!
Yes, some cities do have ordinances prohibiting solicitors in their neighborhoods. I lived in one such city and it was wonderful. Every year, the police department made little signs available that we could put on our front storm doors or in our windows. They cited the city ordinance that states no solicitation is allowed w/in the city limits.

I called the city of Charlotte when I moved here and asked about this. I was told that no one wanted to ban soliciting - there were too many people who objected to banning solicitation. I thought - "who says?"

If we want such an ordinance, I say . . . why not petition the city to enact one? It is as simple as that.

Where I lived b/f, all we had to do was pick up the phone and call the police . . . and they would come and issue a citation to anyone soliciting.

I suspect the reason there is no such ordinance here is b/c no one wants to have to take the time to enforce it. Just my opinion, of course.

Last edited by brokensky; 02-28-2008 at 02:27 PM.. Reason: add word

Old 02-28-2008, 02:43 PM

1,242 posts, read 4,033,951 times
Default hmm

I never knew we could do that..thanks!

Old 02-28-2008, 06:48 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
Wonder what would happen . . . if someone started such a petition - making it illegal for anyone to solicit on private property w/in the city - or even - within the entire county?

Would anyone else here be interested in that? If I knew how to set up a poll, I would - see how much interest there is in such an ordinance - and we could research it, find out how to get names and submit it to the proper governing body.

Anyone have ideas?

Old 02-28-2008, 07:14 PM

1,453 posts, read 5,147,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Wonder what would happen . . . if someone started such a petition - making it illegal for anyone to solicit on private property w/in the city - or even - within the entire county?

Would anyone else here be interested in that? If I knew how to set up a poll, I would - see how much interest there is in such an ordinance - and we could research it, find out how to get names and submit it to the proper governing body.

Anyone have ideas?

I'm interested. Let me know if you decide to start a petition.

Old 02-28-2008, 09:17 PM

1,242 posts, read 4,033,951 times
Default Maybe call the local goverment

offical for Union County..I have no clue about anything down here in regards to the government system yet.

I don't the officials do either..haha!

It seems like things are just growing so quick they can't keep up. I really would love to see a bit of a slowdown so they could regroup.

Old 03-14-2008, 06:57 PM

47 posts, read 192,783 times
Default who's that knocking at my door?

when we first moved to Charlotte, I opened the door to quite a few people. I grew up in the inner city (also known as "tha hood" and/or "the ghetto") and Charlotte felt like Mayberry.

That got old after I watched the news for several months.

I've had black people and white knock at my door under suspicious pretenses.

One night my husband opened the door for a young woman wearing a BellSouth tee shirt (which could have been obtained at a thrift store).

She said there were reports of "unusually high phone bills" in our area and BellSouth had sent her out to investigate.

I called BellSouth while she was at the door and they said no, they didn't send her. I was also told that they don't send people out for reasons such as the one she claimed.

I also called 311 to report it (after I yelled to my husband from the bedroom to slam the door in her lying face) and the woman who answered my call said someone had knocked at her door the night before claiming to be from BellSouth as well.

As I understand it, a gun permit is $5 to any resident of Mecklenburg County who can pass the criminal background check (no felonies).

Sometimes citizens are better off not waiting for the police when it comes to protecting their own lives.

As for continuing to answer/open the door for unknown entities, to each his own...

Old 03-14-2008, 07:02 PM

47 posts, read 192,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by businessperson View Post
I'm interested. Let me know if you decide to start a petition.
Yes, if anyone starts a petition, I'll sign as well. Just don't knock on my door with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte