U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2008, 12:48 PM

24 posts, read 113,878 times

Advertisements

I have been searching the legal arena in Charlotte since last August....where are the legal jobs? I am not an attorney but I am an experienced legal professional. I have litigation & conflicts experience. I have applied to both small and large firms. I currently work for a very large firm in Washington, DC. I have applied for mostly legal assistant or paralegal jobs..I have yet to see one conflicts position. I have 6+ years of legal experience. Does anyone have any suggestions? I interviewed with a major firm there about two (2) weeks ago and was told that they are considering other applicants and that I should know something by the end of last week. I haven't heard a word. The interviews went well. I sent thank you notes, and my references sent letters over. I just don't know. I am getting discouraged. Just felt the need to share...Thanks you listening!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2008, 01:19 PM

45,269 posts, read 88,525,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mylady View Post
I have been searching the legal arena in Charlotte since last August....where are the legal jobs? I am not an attorney but I am an experienced legal professional. I have litigation & conflicts experience. I have applied to both small and large firms. I currently work for a very large firm in Washington, DC. I have applied for mostly legal assistant or paralegal jobs..I have yet to see one conflicts position. I have 6+ years of legal experience. Does anyone have any suggestions? I interviewed with a major firm there about two (2) weeks ago and was told that they are considering other applicants and that I should know something by the end of last week. I haven't heard a word. The interviews went well. I sent thank you notes, and my references sent letters over. I just don't know. I am getting discouraged. Just felt the need to share...Thanks you listening!
Sorry you are getting discouraged, but this is a tough city to get a paralegal job in. There are many applicants for the amount of jobs here I'm afraid. However, your years of experience will eventually work in your favor, so just be patient. It's the newbies just getting out of school that don't stand a snow balls chance. Just remember, you are one of many so it's not that there is anything "wrong" with you

Old 02-27-2008, 03:26 PM

45 posts, read 151,538 times
I'm an attorney and searched long and hard before moving here. It was a discouraging experience to say the least. I recommend continue doing what you have described so far. Also you may want to register with legal temp agencies. They are helpful and can be a big help while still searching for a permanent position.

Old 02-27-2008, 10:26 PM

1,670 posts, read 5,806,942 times
I've been here several months and work at a large law firm. They have had two layoffs and got rid of all non-essential staff. All those who worked in Real Estate are now working or looking for some type of job. Many transitioned over to Litigation. The market is terrible and firms are over-filled with resumes with new comers, layoffs and newly graduated students. As someone suggested, temp agencies may be able to place you, but they are burdensome as well. The temp salaries for legal sucks--I can't believe they pay people with tons of experience $16 -$18 per hour.

Since you work for a firm in DC, try to utilize your contacts there for a position here. It's always who you know, not what you know. I got to NC from NYC by doing this. I feel blessed to be here.

Don't lose hope, good luck!

Old 02-28-2008, 06:04 AM
GCK

2 posts, read 3,893 times
Hello MyLady,
Need some help/advice please. I really really want to move to N.C., I'm thinking first Asheville as I have 4 acrea in Maggie Valley. Second, somewhere around Charlotte as I have a friend in Monroe/Matthews living there. I work for the Clerk of Court in Orange County/Orlando, Fla for 10 yrs now. Before that, healthcare. I seriously like my job now and have been networking for Deputy Clerk jobs, state/pd, etc. I went up 6 times in 2007, 3 times for interviews and asked the interviewer if moving from another state could be the problem for not getting a job and the answer was not necessarily??? The interviews went great! Why if you know is the problem? Do they just hire their own, should I be living there first? I'd hate to move without a job! My feeling is like some places, you have to know someone first or have a family member to get you in? I know I will take a pay cut and have to start over as I am recently single now and just want to move to begin a new life and hopefully build on my property someday. Thank you for any help, Gina

Old 02-28-2008, 06:10 AM
GCK

2 posts, read 3,893 times
Hello,
please help with advice if you can. I'm desperately trying to find a job up there as I would like to move. Recently single, working now for the Clerks Office in Orlando, Fl for 10 yrs. I am all over the state web, applying for Deputy Clerk positions and legal assistant, etc. Went up in 2007 for 3 interviews, all went well. But no luck. I am educated and have much exp in many areas that would be beneficial for the clerks, state or pd. What do they want? Locals? Do I have to know someone inside to get in? Very frustrating. Thank you for any suggestions. Gina

Old 02-28-2008, 06:55 AM

616 posts, read 1,567,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mylady View Post
There is an interesting dynamic happening in Charlotte. Charlotte has become a very hot place to be by the large, international firms (for example, Alston & Bird [oops, I'm wrong, A&B are US] Winston & Strawn are int'l.). They are coming to Charlotte, and some firms have been raided of entire Practice Groups. Think in terms of all the partners, associates, secretaries, paralegals associated with a PG leaving - like right now! So this leaves the raided firms somewhat unsettled. Meanwhile, the usual conversations that all firms have with other firms about merging become more intense. Which adds to uncertainty. Some firms have been laying off staff. Some are hanging tough. Some will merge.

Also, I know from experience that some scarcely entertain resumes from non-attorneys that are not local. They are not going to relocate you and there is a large pool of highly skilled, local applicants from which to choose. In my mind I see resumes traipsing out the door of one firm, into the HR office of another, and another, and another.

Meanwhile, keep checking Indeed.com. If you haven't done this already, use Martindale to identify the larger firms and then visit the careers section of their web sites. What else? Do you use ILTA's web site to check job listings?

Good luck!

Last edited by abcornwell; 02-28-2008 at 07:14 AM..

Old 02-28-2008, 07:55 AM

Thanks so much for your advice. You actually mentioned the firm I am awaiting a response from.
I will keep on looking and sending out resumes.

Old 02-28-2008, 08:01 AM

Thank you all for your input and words of encouragement. I was really ready to give up and call it quits. I think I am going hang in here a little longer. If its God will for me to move to Charlotte..he will make it happen. What God has for me IT IS FOR ME. Thank you all and be blessed!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or