U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2016, 08:43 PM

6,270 posts, read 9,989,732 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by unthought_known View Post
If it's a matter of having these tolls lanes or keeping the status quo, then I'd take the toll lanes. At least there's an option to go faster if you're willing to pay for it. They're better than empty space. But as others have said, it's a shame we signed such a bad contract.

It helps me more than most, because I live off of exit 23 and I drive with at least 3 in the car most of the time. So I get the benefit, without having to pay the toll. Although I'm still not sure how they know I have 3 people in the car, so I shouldn't be charged.
I think your vehicle must be registered as an HOV 3 vehicle. With that status comes a toll pass (similar to EZ Pass). Without being registered, HOV 3 vehicles will be charged normal toll fees.
Quote:
What no one seems to be mentioning is that you still have to buy a transponder to put in your car that will tell the toll operator that you are a registered carpool. You could be driving a clown car with 12 of your closest buddies crammed in with you and you’ll still be charged a toll without the right transponder.

Cars passing through from other states with 3+ people are out of luck, because even if they have a transponder (like an EZ Pass or a Sun Pass) they’ll still pay tolls because they don’t have any way to indicate how many people are in the car.
https://www.charlotteagenda.com/1252...or-i-77-north/

Last edited by urbancharlotte; 12-05-2016 at 09:00 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2016, 06:56 AM

44,339 posts, read 17,685,089 times
I-77 Toll Lanes Good or Bad?

At this point it doesn't matter. We are getting them whether we like it or not.

Old 12-06-2016, 08:54 AM

501 posts, read 339,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
I-77 Toll Lanes Good or Bad?

At this point it doesn't matter. We are getting them whether we like it or not.
You're right. I am excited about getting a tunnel too,

Old 12-06-2016, 09:38 AM

5,869 posts, read 7,696,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDL View Post
I think 77 should be a minimum of five lanes in each direction; preferably six (total twelve).

I lived in New York, where traffic was simply unbearable. Going to work, shopping, or planning recreational trips, usually required some degree of planning.

Traffic offers no benefit; it makes for unhappy citizens (at excessive levels); exaggerates pollution; wastes resources (commuter's time), and money (idling cars are inefficient).

The question is not the necessity of adequate laneage, but who should pay for it?

In the northeast, many roads were conceived as toll roads, with the understanding that the tolls would be rescinded after a period of time.

The tolls have never been rescinded - on any road or bridge - and get more outrageous as time goes on.
I think the argument is usually that General purpose lanes only temporarily relieve congestion - people think it's "better," more people move to the area, and they get congested again. Like in Atlanta for example.

I'd probably agree with the sentiment that the tolls themselves probably aren't a bad idea, but the contract seems to leave a lot to be desired and if the toll lanes will need to merge back in to the general purpose lanes before exiting then it could cause some additional backups.

Old 12-06-2016, 09:42 AM

2,024 posts, read 5,314,553 times
I'm moving next month to the Lake Norman area from Durham, where we have a toll road. The Triangle Expressway -- southern segment of NC 147, western half of NC 540 -- is an electronic collection toll road, with no HOV discount.

My spouse uses it every day to get to work and it's not been an issue. There is a free alternative, the four-laned NC 55. But plenty of drivers have shifted to the TriEx/147 extension.

I'm glad that the toll lanes are going in, though I'd very much like to see the Red Line happen (especially since we will be in walking distance of one of its planned stations.) Traffic expands to fill the road capacity available, and if you ten-laned free I-77, you'd still have congestion.

On the times when we need to travel to uptown, I want to know that I can pay the toll and get there fast. And if I want to take the 77X bus and not drive, I want to know that *it* can get there fast in the toll lanes and isn't stuck on the road.

Count me as a supporter.

Old 12-06-2016, 09:56 AM

22,974 posts, read 58,460,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull City Rising View Post
I'm moving next month to the Lake Norman area from Durham, where we have a toll road. The Triangle Expressway -- southern segment of NC 147, western half of NC 540 -- is an electronic collection toll road, with no HOV discount.

My spouse uses it every day to get to work and it's not been an issue. There is a free alternative, the four-laned NC 55. But plenty of drivers have shifted to the TriEx/147 extension.

I'm glad that the toll lanes are going in, though I'd very much like to see the Red Line happen (especially since we will be in walking distance of one of its planned stations.) Traffic expands to fill the road capacity available, and if you ten-laned free I-77, you'd still have congestion.

On the times when we need to travel to uptown, I want to know that I can pay the toll and get there fast. And if I want to take the 77X bus and not drive, I want to know that *it* can get there fast in the toll lanes and isn't stuck on the road.

Count me as a supporter.
What city will you likely choose in the Lake Norman area and west side or east side of I-77? There will be an alternative mid to late next year.

Old 12-06-2016, 06:59 PM

2,024 posts, read 5,314,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
What city will you likely choose in the Lake Norman area and west side or east side of I-77? There will be an alternative mid to late next year.
East side, Cornelius near the Davidson border.

The alternative you speak of is the toll lanes on I-77, right?

Old 12-06-2016, 07:23 PM

156 posts, read 145,570 times
I'd love to see the red line built. I'd use it all the time. Too bad its never going to happen in this car-centric city.

Old 12-07-2016, 05:47 AM

6,270 posts, read 9,989,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 618719 View Post
I'd love to see the red line built. I'd use it all the time. Too bad its never going to happen in this car-centric city.
The Red Line (for now) will be CATS running buses up and down the express/toll lanes. A bus ride from uptown to Davidson at 5pm will take less than an hour. Also, the bus ride will be cheaper than driving your personal vehicle.

Old 12-07-2016, 06:12 AM

985 posts, read 737,182 times
I'm in favor of toll roads and free roads. They both work well and serve a purpose. I am not in favor of toll lanes and free lanes on a single road. The setup causes, rather than alleviates traffic, when the toll lane drivers need to cross the general lanes to exit. It also causes a lot of unnecessary accidents as toll payers cut over and tired, angry general purpose commuters that have already waited plenty long enough, do everything in their power to block the merge. Of course the goal of the project was monetizing congestion (which the toll lanes will increase), so they will work well to that end.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or