Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2016, 06:57 AM

7,074 posts, read 12,341,388 times

Advertisements

After doing some research on the express toll lanes under construction, I've come to the conclusion that this might be our best option for now. Please share your thoughts. I'm interested in reading opinions of BOTH sides, for and against.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2016, 01:20 PM

545 posts, read 594,155 times
This type of toll lane is already in operation in Atlanta on Highway 85...which were actually HOV lanes prior!

Old 12-03-2016, 02:24 PM

7,074 posts, read 12,341,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rancenc View Post
This type of toll lane is already in operation in Atlanta on Highway 85...which were actually HOV lanes prior!
I'm aware of that. I'm also aware of the elevated express lane being built on I-75 in Cobb county (my job takes me into Atl metro quite regularly). So are you for or against toll lanes and why?

Old 12-03-2016, 03:03 PM

392 posts, read 1,552,518 times
I-77 through the Lake Norman area really does need the extra lanes, although making them toll will probably reduce their overall effectiveness. It should make the commute between Lake Norman/Huntersville and downtown much shorter for those willing to pay the toll.

Jacksonville FL is doing something similar with their interstate highways.

Old 12-03-2016, 03:25 PM

601 posts, read 963,763 times
I don't have an issue with toll lanes, just against the concept of privatization. I also don't like the fact that the state can't build any more general purpose lanes without paying a fine. Or that the lanes themselves are being built with subpar quality and that trucks can't use them. Or the fact that we are the only ones in the state that got hit with such a crappy deal.

Old 12-03-2016, 06:12 PM

8,876 posts, read 13,909,043 times
McCrory probably hates the toll lanes now that it is probably going to cost him his governorship. The Lake Norman area (his home) voted for Cooper in a big way.

He had a chance to "make it right" by cancelling the lopsided contract, but he refused. So the voters "made it right"!

Depending on Cooper's actions, we may be stuck with the toll lanes, but we're definitely weeding out the inept (or corrupt) politician's that are responsible for this mess with each election.

Old 12-03-2016, 10:26 PM
NDL

4,518 posts, read 5,645,215 times
I think 77 should be a minimum of five lanes in each direction; preferably six (total twelve).

I lived in New York, where traffic was simply unbearable. Going to work, shopping, or planning recreational trips, usually required some degree of planning.

Traffic offers no benefit; it makes for unhappy citizens (at excessive levels); exaggerates pollution; wastes resources (commuter's time), and money (idling cars are inefficient).

The question is not the necessity of adequate laneage, but who should pay for it?

In the northeast, many roads were conceived as toll roads, with the understanding that the tolls would be rescinded after a period of time.

The tolls have never been rescinded - on any road or bridge - and get more outrageous as time goes on.

Old 12-04-2016, 07:41 AM

1,826 posts, read 2,494,119 times
I agree that them being toll lanes isn't the biggest issue but yet the terrible contract they have with the private company concerning them. They should've done them like the Monroe Connector where NCDOT owns and operates the lanes. Hopefully they don't do a similarly bad deal when they build the additional lanes for 77 in south Charlotte.

Old 12-04-2016, 09:35 AM

545 posts, read 594,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
I'm aware of that. I'm also aware of the elevated express lane being built on I-75 in Cobb county (my job takes me into Atl metro quite regularly). So are you for or against toll lanes and why?
OH! I am actually in favor of this project as well as other tolls lanes. We as a state have to get beyond the "pay as you go approach" to our transportation needs in the state.

Old 12-04-2016, 03:09 PM

501 posts, read 528,551 times
I have two mannequins on order for the ride. Other than time, I can't tell you how much I think the toll roads suck. I am all for another lane or two, but the money would be more wiser spent if it had gone for rail. The mindless mayor and company recently went to Denver, Co. on a fact finding trip to look for ideas. They came back and mentioned a bus with three cars that is used there for transportation. It is almost like a small train. This would have been great going between north and southbound lanes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte