U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2016, 02:46 PM

8 posts, read 5,619 times

Advertisements

Planning to move to Weddington and thinking if it would make sense to get water well in my backyard for irrigation. I have been living in Charlotte and the water costs shoot up if you irrigate your lawn. Can anyone guide the upfront cost of irrigation in Weddington area, how much does getting a water well done cost or any information. Please...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2016, 03:50 PM

2,156 posts, read 2,354,698 times
People in Southeast Charlotte and the Western Union county area really appreciate you new folks digging wells to keep your precious plants and lawn looking good at the expense of emptying the water table for those of us on wells that can't get county or city water.

Gotta keep green!!!!!!!!! Screw the rest of us.

Old 12-05-2016, 12:26 AM

8 posts, read 5,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getatag View Post
People in Southeast Charlotte and the Western Union county area really appreciate you new folks digging wells to keep your precious plants and lawn looking good at the expense of emptying the water table for those of us on wells that can't get county or city water.

Gotta keep green!!!!!!!!! Screw the rest of us.
1. Who told you, I have city water?
2. Even if we did had city water (which I don't) why waste clean drinking water and jack up everyone's rate?
3. Take the water from the ground and put it back on the ground absorbed by the ground. (yes some evaporation)

Old 12-05-2016, 11:57 AM

Never had a problem in this area of the counties (Meck and Union) until all the developments began sinking wells to irrigate their precious beautiful entrances. My neighbor had a well go dry three years ago. Another acquaintance who farms near several of those new neighborhoods has been forced to drill three new wells in the past 8 years because wells that have been there since his parents farmed the land suddenly went dry.

Clean drinking water also originates in the water table. I, and many of my neighbors can't get city water and depend upon wells for our water supply. Very selfish to continue to water plants while others spend between 4 and 12 thousand dollars to drill newer and deeper wells to continue to have drinking water.
Better to plant natural growth that can survive in the climate of the area, than try to support vegetation that no longer can thrive naturally in this region.

It was raining yesterday and two neighborhoods I passed on my way to the store had sprinkler systems running non-stop. Great use of a precious natural resource.

Your initial post certain stated you were asking about drilling a well for irrigation purposes only. If you were already in an area of wells only, why drill another simply for irrigation purposes. You also complained about the cost of irrigating via city/county water.

Do as you wish, and God bless you.

Old 12-05-2016, 09:36 PM
NDL

3,126 posts, read 3,610,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulpal View Post
1. Who told you, I have city water?
2. Even if we did had city water (which I don't) why waste clean drinking water and jack up everyone's rate?
3. Take the water from the ground and put it back on the ground absorbed by the ground. (yes some evaporation)
A lot of evaporation, and, depending on the landscape, runoff towards area creeks and streams.

The soil here doesn't absorb water as it does in other areas. I don't claim to know what the saturation index is; I do know that the aquifers don't recharge as quickly as they do in other areas.

I also know that in some areas, shallow aquifers are largely rock formations that yield low flow rates. And again, the aquifers don't recharge quickly.

Old 12-06-2016, 07:26 AM

72 posts, read 59,633 times
Since I imagine you probably wanted an answer to your question, I spoke to my well guy recently about installing an additional manual hand pump well on my property and he said it would cost around $5,000. I imagine an electric well would cost more. At that price I'll just go out and buy a rain barrel and 500ft of garden hose.

Old 12-06-2016, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrappy907 View Post
Since I imagine you probably wanted an answer to your question, I spoke to my well guy recently about installing an additional manual hand pump well on my property and he said it would cost around $5,000. I imagine an electric well would cost more. At that price I'll just go out and buy a rain barrel and 500ft of garden hose.
That's a great move Scrappy! You could also have a plumber divide your system's gray water to that same rain barrel for waaaay less than the cost of a well. Gray water makes for a fine irrigation system.

Old 12-06-2016, 08:44 AM

5,116 posts, read 1,807,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDL View Post
A lot of evaporation, and, depending on the landscape, runoff towards area creeks and streams.

The soil here doesn't absorb water as it does in other areas. I don't claim to know what the saturation index is; I do know that the aquifers don't recharge as quickly as they do in other areas.

I also know that in some areas, shallow aquifers are largely rock formations that yield low flow rates. And again, the aquifers don't recharge quickly.
done any scientific work to back up all these claims?

Old 12-06-2016, 08:52 AM

5,116 posts, read 1,807,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulpal View Post
Planning to move to Weddington and thinking if it would make sense to get water well in my backyard for irrigation. I have been living in Charlotte and the water costs shoot up if you irrigate your lawn. Can anyone guide the upfront cost of irrigation in Weddington area, how much does getting a water well done cost or any information. Please...

as the former owner of a well drilling company thats done a lot of drilling in the area from 2006-2012. No idea on the current costs but we were getting $5k for up to 200ft then for irrigation wells. 200ft was good for -most- of the area to have plently of water (anything above say 3gal/min is plently for irrigation in general), I have dozens of well reports to back this up, In fact, many in the Marvin Creek area(within a few miles of Weddington) were over 20gal/min. Again I dont claim to have a vibe on the current market as I have not been involved in that type of work for nearly 4 years now.

Old 12-06-2016, 11:42 AM

72 posts, read 59,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getatag View Post
That's a great move Scrappy! You could also have a plumber divide your system's gray water to that same rain barrel for waaaay less than the cost of a well. Gray water makes for a fine irrigation system.
Thanks. I need it for a garden and livestock so gray water won't work for me. I got a quote of $6-$8/ft to run a line from my well but at 400-500ft (I need to measure over the weekend) that still sounds like a lot of money (and I imagine the grey water plumbing would be similar in cost). A rain barrel is better for the environment and hopefully I won't need to pull from the well too often.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte