U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2016, 04:47 PM

27 posts, read 38,673 times

Advertisements

I received so much help when I relocated here in 2012 (looking at you, lovesmountains...are you still around?)

I currently live in an apartment in Ballantyne...$1300 2bed/2bath. I really do like it here and have rented two units in the same complex, so I'm nervous about moving, but would like to move closer to CMC Main and the uptown area for other meetings.

I need rent to stay roughly the same. Townhome style would be nice, but continuing apartment-style is fine as long as I don't have to be on the 3rd floor with an infant anymore! I'm in my upper 20s, but a single parent and work weekend nights. Proximity to entertainment/restaurants is good, but I'm not going to be walking to bars.

I've spent so much time online finding the info I can. I take review websites with a grain of salt. I've searched these forums but can't find anything within the last year about these particular apartments...Strawberry Hill, Heathstead (both Marsh Properties) and 1420 Magnolia. Insight? Other Southpark-ish suggestions? Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2016, 06:51 PM

1,056 posts, read 1,748,089 times
Heathstead is a large, spread out, older (1970's) condo, townhome community in a great Southpark location. I have a few friends that live there (they own) and they really like it. You can probably find rental units in there since it's such a large complex. The drive to CMC Main should be at least 10-15 minutes shorter from Ballantyne depending on time of day. Strawberry Hill are newer and a bit nicer than Heathstead. I work with someone who lives there. They moved away (out of state) for a couple years but moved back to Charlotte and back to Strawberry Hill. I remember him saying they really liked it there. The good thing about SH is the fact that you have a grocery store (Fresh Market), drug store and restaurants within a short walking distance. The Fresh Market will be moving to a larger store but on the same property within the next year or so. You will also be much closer to CMC Main than Heathstead.

Old 12-06-2016, 08:12 PM

72 posts, read 59,948 times
I just left Strawberry Hill in April after a year and a half. It's a big complex, the units are old and you need to drive your garbage to 1 of 3 locations. That being said we were generally happy there. They offer a number of social events (most of which were run by what we perceived as a religious group but we never partook in any of those). We also looked at 1420 Magnolia. It was a much newer and more updated apartment complex. And they were offering a discounted rate on the 1st yr (which of course would really get jacked up in the 2nd yr). We really liked it but needed a 3 bedroom and they weren't going to have one available in time. If they did, we would've lived there. One more place I would recommend looking at (driving past it every day I wish we had stopped by to look) in that area is Sterling Magnolia.

If you have any more questions on Strawberry Hill let me know.

Old 12-07-2016, 07:37 AM

39 posts, read 35,651 times
I read somewhere that Fresh Market was expanding their selection and reducing prices as of 11/30 to compete with HT/Publix. Has anyone been in the last week to confirm? It would be nice to have another close grocery store.

Old 12-07-2016, 10:16 AM

982 posts, read 1,189,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeDoofus View Post
I read somewhere that Fresh Market was expanding their selection and reducing prices as of 11/30 to compete with HT/Publix. Has anyone been in the last week to confirm? It would be nice to have another close grocery store.
The one up by me (Prosperity) has these grand reopening signs and updated product signs everywhere, but have not been in there yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or