U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2017, 02:54 PM

2,206 posts, read 2,386,129 times

Advertisements

Will the citizens reassignment committee be formed and then allowed to meet and chose a Chair?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2017, 09:03 PM

3 posts, read 5,276 times
Hi! I'm in greater Charlotte but considering buying a home in Waxhaw (which we have considered in the past but hesitated last time due to redistricting, ha!), and realized it is right over the school district border in Waxhaw ES-Parkwood district. However much closer to Kensington ES-Cuthbertson in distance (just south of Pine Oak Rd). My child is starting kindergarten in 2017-18. I'm concerned about the school ratings for the district but now also concerned that she will just get settled in to school and then have to move schools for first grade. I saw an article that said they are trying to make the change for the upcoming school year, which would be great, but I'm afraid of purchasing a home then being uprooted, etc.

Could someone who has been following this more closely give me info on timeline or how this would impact that specific area right by Pine Oak Rd?

Last edited by Will819; 02-12-2017 at 09:10 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 02-13-2017, 03:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will819 View Post
Hi! I'm in greater Charlotte but considering buying a home in Waxhaw (which we have considered in the past but hesitated last time due to redistricting, ha!), and realized it is right over the school district border in Waxhaw ES-Parkwood district. However much closer to Kensington ES-Cuthbertson in distance (just south of Pine Oak Rd). My child is starting kindergarten in 2017-18. I'm concerned about the school ratings for the district but now also concerned that she will just get settled in to school and then have to move schools for first grade. I saw an article that said they are trying to make the change for the upcoming school year, which would be great, but I'm afraid of purchasing a home then being uprooted, etc.

Could someone who has been following this more closely give me info on timeline or how this would impact that specific area right by Pine Oak Rd?
UCPS is currently in the 16/17 school year. The reassignment discussion and decision is slated for 1 year of planning so it will be wrapping up around the midpoint of the 17/18 school year and ready to begin in the 18/19 school year.

Pine Oaks Rd is near the border of the Parkwood/Cuthbertson cluster so could very well be reassigned. Potentially, your child could start K in 17/18 and be moved for First Grade in 18/19.
The area around Pine Oaks Rd could remain untouched, it is all speculation at this point.
Call or email Mr. Gary Sides. He is the Vice Chair of the Board and proposed this particular reassignment. I'm sure he could explain in detail what he hoped to accomplish. A board member that proposes a reassignment must have some very detailed ideas of what areas need to be moved.

gary.sides@ucps.k12.nc.us
or
980-313-3977

Old 02-13-2017, 05:35 AM

3 posts, read 5,276 times
Thank you! I did give him a call and basically he said the same thing you mentioned here, but at least I feel a bit more in the loop to make a decision.

Old 03-14-2017, 08:54 PM

5,787 posts, read 8,438,524 times
So they hired McKibbon, opted out of his "housing study", and will choose the citizen's committee by the April meeting? I think that about sums up what I heard.

Let the games begin!

Old 03-14-2017, 09:30 PM

631 posts, read 738,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
So they hired McKibbon, opted out of his "housing study", and will choose the citizen's committee by the April meeting? I think that about sums up what I heard.

Let the games begin!
What was the housing study?

And yes. $165,000 with of school supplies and improvements down the drain.

Old 03-14-2017, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooLogical View Post

Wish I knew what the study was... One assumes that if you're doing a redistricting plan you would need to factor in housing. lol

Old 03-15-2017, 08:07 AM

547 posts, read 537,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooLogical View Post

And yes. $165,000 with of school supplies and improvements down the drain.
So, we should just let UCPS staff do the redistricting on their own again because that worked out so well last time?

Old 03-15-2017, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaHelms View Post
So, we should just let UCPS staff do the redistricting on their own again because that worked out so well last time?
I would agree. When you're talking about a district the size of UCPS with the growth trends (recent and ongoing), you need to consider the cost of the redistricting study as an investment.

Now, I'm not saying that the staff, facilities department, or BOE isn't capable of screwing it up again essentially "wasting" the investment... because they most certainly are. If you're hiring a hopefully unbiased SME (which I have to assume McK is), you need to leverage their work and stick to their recommendations.

Once you go down the road of amending because of noise from people who would be impacted... it will have a snowball effect and the risks of wasting the investment skyrocket. And make no mistake that any community proposed to move to a cluster they deem undesirable is going to be hooting and hollering. Plus compound that with the legacy CAPS group who will be pushing to load kids back into Weddington and Cuthbertson where they were before the last debacle. It will escalate quickly.

This is why we need to watch and we can't let them do this in a bubble. We need transparency.

Old 03-15-2017, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaHelms View Post
Yep, almost 4 years out and no schools at cap, no neighborhoods split. At one point, McKibben himself said most systems have to do it ever 3 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte