U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2016, 06:04 AM

5,787 posts, read 8,432,604 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaxhawMike View Post
good to see the old gang getting back together. i've missed you rubes.

this time around i say we have our discussions at DreamChasers Brewery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaxhawMike View Post
i have no inside info, but if i was a betting man, i'd bet against tuscany making it's way back into the cuthbertson cluster. wesley oaks, yes. tuscany, no.
MIKE! woot woot - "rubes" lol

This statement on WO versus Tuscany is exactly my point about agendas at play. Why would a reassignment allow 1 community back over the other? It is going to be very difficult to defend and is going to cause extreme tension at upcoming meetings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2016, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by somersmom View Post
Hate to break it to you, but car rider lines in Marvin and Weddington clusters are already a nightmare because parents don't think their "special snowflakes" should have to ride the bus!
No need to break this to me. I know it's a county wide issue. My point was that any proposed reassignment without transportation is going to make it worse... MUCH worse.

Old 12-15-2016, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by getatag View Post
Earlier I mentioned we should be keeping our eyes on the ball, but there are several balls other than redistricting.

One such "ball" we should be watching is the Lenovo system-wide computer contract.
Team Ellis and Webb? lol

Old 12-15-2016, 10:27 PM

2,155 posts, read 3,384,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
MIKE! woot woot - "rubes" lol

This statement on WO versus Tuscany is exactly my point about agendas at play. Why would a reassignment allow 1 community back over the other? It is going to be very difficult to defend and is going to cause extreme tension at upcoming meetings.
Location. Tuscany is a bit closer to Parkwood than Wesley Oaks.

Old 12-16-2016, 01:12 AM

2,201 posts, read 2,380,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-LI View Post
And that will be the argument used by Wesley Oaks. It will have absolutely nothing to do with WO being a hotbed of CAPS activists.

Old 12-16-2016, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-LI View Post
WO goes to Sun Valley, not Parkwood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by getatag View Post
And that will be the argument used by Wesley Oaks. It will have absolutely nothing to do with WO being a hotbed of CAPS activists.
Exactly. If you look at the current map there are egregious assignments, but who's to say that it was more correct before. What we will have is bickering over what "neighborhood schools" actually means - because at the end of the day Sides' motion was specifically about that. The folks in WO (and similar situations) heard him say "undo previous redistricting". The reality is likely to be quite painful.

At the last meeting Helms was very quick to point out that McKibben wanted to move thousands more students than they ended up with. Once the new study is done, it will be interesting to watch how it is interpreted.

One other ball to watch is how you do a scientific analysis based on giving thousands of families a choice to remain or move. He's a demographer, not a psychic. Any prediction of what folks will decide will have a wild margin for error and is completely illogical when talking about school capacity. It is going to be messy.

Old 12-16-2016, 05:36 AM

2,201 posts, read 2,380,254 times
Quote:
WO goes to Sun Valley, not Parkwood.

Exactly. If you look at the current map there are egregious assignments, but who's to say that it was more correct before. What we will have is bickering over what "neighborhood schools" actually means - because at the end of the day Sides' motion was specifically about that. The folks in WO (and similar situations) heard him say "undo previous redistricting". The reality is likely to be quite painful.

At the last meeting Helms was very quick to point out that McKibben wanted to move thousands more students than they ended up with. Once the new study is done, it will be interesting to watch how it is interpreted.

One other ball to watch is how you do a scientific analysis based on giving thousands of families a choice to remain or move. He's a demographer, not a psychic. Any prediction of what folks will decide will have a wild margin for error and is completely illogical when talking about school capacity. It is going to be messy.
MK, You make valid points, and I certainly don't mean to minimize the remainder of what you say above, but I have highlighted the most important parts of your statement, in my opinion.

Old 12-16-2016, 08:57 AM

661 posts, read 525,198 times
My $0.02..."neighborhood schools" is more impactful if your entire neighborhood is going to the same school, regardless of location compared to if your neighborhood is split up amongst schools, which is what choice would bring.

Old 12-16-2016, 02:30 PM

527 posts, read 637,722 times
Quote:
i luv me some christina helms, really helped me out last go around... but, she stuck her foot in her mouth big time with that comment and she's going to get called out for it. mckibben never recommended any redistricting, that's not what he was hired to do. he was hired to do a population/growth study, not a redistricting study. the BOE tried to stick the redistricting on mckibben but he talked to many parents made it clear that his report should not be used to justify redistricting. it will be interesting to see if they bring mckibben into a public setting, such as a BOE meeting, this time and get his comments on the record.

Old 12-16-2016, 04:26 PM

3,521 posts, read 2,242,049 times
From the Union County Weekly which outlines the "goals" of a proposed redistricting:
Student assignment looms for UCPS | Union County Weekly

Student assignment looms for UCPS

... the Union County Board of Education unanimously approved a motion from Gary Sides directing the superintendent to develop a new student realignment plan, which would carry out the following:

Maximize efficiencies in the daily transportation of our students, with the centerpiece of the program around “the concept of neighborhood schools.” This means all possible efforts would go toward UCPS students being assigned to the school closest to their homes.

A no-questions-asked grandfathering policy. “In other words, if you want your child to stay where they are, they can,” Sides said.

Staff will devise a proposal that creates a citizens advisory committee that would be involved in the process. This would include individuals from all clusters and members would be approved by the board.

Staff can retain outside professionals to forecast student population trends, to develop school capacity figures and determine the optimal student assignment plan. Superintendent Andrew Houlihan has already gotten a jump on this point, as he’s fielded Jerome McKibben to conduct another demographic study, which would cost the district $11,000. Houlihan said the report would be a deep look at the district’s demographics and population patterns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte