U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2017, 03:27 PM

114 posts, read 89,196 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooLogical View Post
There will be a limit of 2 siblings per family.
Is this the Manchuria Sibling Proposal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2017, 04:35 PM

631 posts, read 736,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phocion View Post
Is this the Manchuria Sibling Proposal?
HA!!!! Yes. The third sibling and beyond can still attend the cluster they prefer virtually.

Old 11-13-2017, 04:40 PM

Quote:
HA!!!! Yes. The third sibling and beyond can still attend the cluster they prefer virtually.
Now we are innovating!! What we should do is just open up 2 big schools, 1 on each side of the county!

Old 11-14-2017, 01:52 PM

547 posts, read 535,517 times
Quote:
There will be a limit of 2 siblings per family.
For real? Y'all are joking?

Old 11-14-2017, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaHelms View Post
I am pretty sure this entire thing is a joke (including these posts).

Old 11-14-2017, 02:49 PM

631 posts, read 736,101 times
Quote:
Oh totally joking!!!! But I can see Heintel, Merrill, Sides, and Manchurian Rape coming up with something this stupid while celebrating that they have a sibling policy.

Actually, they would probably say siblings can be grandfathered.... as long as they are all sitting highschoolers. HA!

Old 11-14-2017, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Let's reiterate a key thing that happened last night. The BOE unanimously voted to rescind Gary Dimwit Sides' "No Questions Asked Grandfathering" policy they all approved last December. Gone. Done. Out of here.

Merrill, Sides, and Heintel kept trying to deflect all the blame on the new house bill that impacted class size for K-3 students, but we all know they are blowing smoke. That will be there go to deflector shield going forward. They are so full of crap and it showed all night long. Heintel was clueless with any of the questions asked of her.

This group has become worse than the last BOE.
Well, it looks like they might have middle school grandfathering worked out. That was the whole point of modifying the maps last meeting. Modifying Option E to send Weddington Trace to New Town/Cuthbertson and Villages of Wesley Chapel to Rocky River/Sun Valley was all about clearing out Weddington Middle down to 93% so they can at least deliver on middle school grandfathering. But, in order to do that they had to kick Villages of Wesley Chapel out of the club.

Of course, they don't give a crap that their modifications put Monroe area Title I school, Rocky River Elementary, up at 108% utilization when its enrollment is relatively stable. Cropper had it at 89% in unmodified Option E. Their modifications also didn't address that New Town would still be at 108%.

In case y'all didn't follow what happened in that modification, they shifted Weddington Trace to New Town when Cropper had it going to Weddington Elementary. They kicked Briarcrest and Tuscany over to Wesley Chapel and gave Villages of Wesley Chapel and the surrounding area the boot back into Rocky River.

The end result is 57 Weddington Trace students that Cropper was sending to Weddington Middle stay at Cuthbertson and 19 Villages at Wesley Chapel students that Cropper was sending to Weddington Middle get booted to Sun Valley Middle and poor Rocky River Elementary gets to use a bunch of trailers indefinitely.

They have Western Union at 58% and Parkwood Middle at 69%, so they could have accomplished the same thing in their modification by shifting Tuscany and Briarcrest to Western Union/Parkwood where they currently attend and Rocky River wouldn't have been jacked up from 89% in Cropper's version to 108% in the modified version.

With New Town and Rocky River at 108%, I'd say grandfathering is off the table for elementaries. That has nothing to do with HB 13 though. With so many elementaries that are underutilized and have declining enrollment on the western side of the county, it seems silly that they can't figure out a way to split elementaries so New Town utilization isn't too high to allow for grandfathering. But everybody has to go to New Town.

It seems they can't have both "neighborhood schools" and grandfathering.

Old 11-14-2017, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
Clearly... and thanks to Rancher I went back and re-read Ms. Pugh's email. She specifically requested Steven Mill (her new neighborhood) and Emerald Lake (Ms. Merrell's neighborhood) be moved - to which Ms. Merrell, quoting bogus transportation efficiency numbers, instructed the consultant to make the change to her own neighborhood. It's obscene.

It's no secret at this point... it's only a matter of time before the transportation inefficiency costing the schools money excuse blows up in their faces - it's a lie. I don't see how they can drag out that line of BS for 3-4 more months. But, hey I'm fairly certain they will try.

They best grow a conscience very soon because, to your point, they are proving to be everything they supposedly fought against as CAPS.
Interestingly, now BOE Chair Merrell's Emerald Lake neighbors are emailing that they would rather go to Fairview and Piedmont contrary to Merrell's command that Cropper move her neighborhood to Porter Ridge.

But he answers to her and now we have this absurd looking map.
Attached Thumbnails
Union County School Board proposes new student realignment plan-screenshot-235-.png  

Old 11-15-2017, 05:11 AM

5,783 posts, read 8,410,081 times
Quote:
Interestingly, now BOE Chair Merrell's Emerald Lake neighbors are emailing that they would rather go to Fairview and Piedmont contrary to Merrell's command that Cropper move her neighborhood to Porter Ridge.

But he answers to her and now we have this absurd looking map.
Which option is that? Does this possibly tie into your previous post about making room for the grandfathering?

Once the new maps are released, we all should be going through them carefully. As much as it is fairly obvious that Merrell (and Heintel) are directing Cropper community by community, I have to wonder if there will ever be a "smoking gun" related to how this is happening. Doubt it. So more than likely it's going to be labeled a conspiracy theory.

If, and this is a big if, the BOE can deliver on MOST of the grandfathering, i.e. sitting MS/HS and sibling policy - they will likely save enough face. HB13 will be their air cover for ES, but anyone who can read will understand that using it as an excuse for MS makes no sense. Your analysis that the latest changes address MS, I have to assume you've reviewed in detail to confirm. Then it becomes about working on the ES level siblings and being sure they don't blow up K-3 re: HB13. It shouldn't be too difficult.

Who are the big winners and losers right now? Who will be complaining the loudest?

Old 11-15-2017, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
Which option is that? Does this possibly tie into your previous post about making room for the grandfathering?

Once the new maps are released, we all should be going through them carefully. As much as it is fairly obvious that Merrell (and Heintel) are directing Cropper community by community, I have to wonder if there will ever be a "smoking gun" related to how this is happening. Doubt it. So more than likely it's going to be labeled a conspiracy theory.

If, and this is a big if, the BOE can deliver on MOST of the grandfathering, i.e. sitting MS/HS and sibling policy - they will likely save enough face. HB13 will be their air cover for ES, but anyone who can read will understand that using it as an excuse for MS makes no sense. Your analysis that the latest changes address MS, I have to assume you've reviewed in detail to confirm. Then it becomes about working on the ES level siblings and being sure they don't blow up K-3 re: HB13. It shouldn't be too difficult.

Who are the big winners and losers right now? Who will be complaining the loudest?
It was just a random observation unrelated to grandfathering that Merrell is manipulating the process to fit her desires and her neighbors aren’t even on board with her. This realignment seems to be more about settling scores for some rather than doing what is best for the kids. Apparently, many in that area were pleased with the last redistricting but you wouldn’t know that if you listen to Merrell.

That is the “ eastern” Modified Option E map pushed on the East in the absence of their reps at the last meeting. I attached it to show the ridiculous boundaries drawn for Stallings that take kids from Fairview. It’s odd how the eastern map touches Mecklenburg. I’m not sure about the separate East and West option concept. It’s all interdependent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte