U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2018, 11:56 AM

63 posts, read 103,985 times

Advertisements

Read an article that Rea View Elementary is under capicity. So, before reassignment, had they considered shifting back towards Marvin a bit, which may re-assign many of the re-assigned from last time? It may reduce a lot of the pressure off of the waxhaw area/cutherbertson.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2018, 12:38 PM

5,783 posts, read 8,411,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theflight View Post
Read an article that Rea View Elementary is under capicity. So, before reassignment, had they considered shifting back towards Marvin a bit, which may re-assign many of the re-assigned from last time? It may reduce a lot of the pressure off of the waxhaw area/cutherbertson.
You just read an article and came up with that?! For real?! lol

Old 01-16-2018, 06:19 PM

63 posts, read 103,985 times
Not sure where the humor in my question was. I was being sincere. The article addressed many issues with decline in enrollment and empty classrooms, so logically, I'd assume that the shift would be towards Marvin as opposed to out to Parkwood. My question was if it was on the table for discussion. For real. lol

Old 01-16-2018, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theflight View Post
Not sure where the humor in my question was. I was being sincere. The article addressed many issues with decline in enrollment and empty classrooms, so logically, I'd assume that the shift would be towards Marvin as opposed to out to Parkwood. My question was if it was on the table for discussion. For real. lol
I thought you were being facetious as that is what has been going on for months... Every map proposal has assignments shifting towards Marvin - all options right back to the very first one has had Marvin increasing attendance. Parkwood is being gutted in all options. So, you either haven't been following what has been going on or you were being a wise acre. I thought it was the latter.

In the end, there's a geography problem in the Marvin area. It has been pretty much ground zero for both recent realignments (pet projects aside).

Old 01-17-2018, 09:17 AM

631 posts, read 736,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North2South2017 View Post
Hello all.

Does anyone know how often the schools are rezoned? I see that the Union County website has maps posted for 2017-2018. Are these finalized or subject to change? How often are they revisited?

Any insight is appreciated. Moving to the area within the next two-three months and trying to avoid a scenario where my third-grader starts in one school this year for two months only to be re-assigned to a new one next year.

Thank you.
Current maps are good for this school year. The BOE is proposing changing the boundaries for the 2018-2019 school year. You can find those here: https://croppermap.com/unioncounty/ Toggle the "Choose map layers to view" drop down on the left side to see the various proposals. Despite best intentions to create maps that last 10 years, that never happens. I'd suspect they will change again in 4-5 years. If you move to an area that is in between multiple schools, expect to be a ping pong.

Old 01-17-2018, 02:41 PM

139 posts, read 108,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North2South2017 View Post
Hello all.

Does anyone know how often the schools are rezoned? I see that the Union County website has maps posted for 2017-2018. Are these finalized or subject to change? How often are they revisited?

Any insight is appreciated. Moving to the area within the next two-three months and trying to avoid a scenario where my third-grader starts in one school this year for two months only to be re-assigned to a new one next year.

Thank you.
Just buy in the Parkwood area. No one bothers us out here...probably we won't be redistricted for 50 years. But they may have to eventually build us new schools...

Old 01-17-2018, 03:17 PM

547 posts, read 535,645 times
Does anyone recall the number of elementary, middle, and high students moved in the last redistricting?

It’s looking like they are currently planning to move between 4,600 and 5,000 students. That’s a whole lot more than I envisioned.

Old 01-17-2018, 08:15 PM

631 posts, read 736,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaHelms View Post
Does anyone recall the number of elementary, middle, and high students moved in the last redistricting?

Itís looking like they are currently planning to move between 4,600 and 5,000 students. Thatís a whole lot more than I envisioned.
Thought it was around 5800, but that may have been before grandfathering.

Old 01-17-2018, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaHelms View Post

Itís looking like they are currently planning to move between 4,600 and 5,000 students. Thatís a whole lot more than I envisioned.
Last I saw that is 1 option. Pretty sure the other option is less, around 4k?

They could easily move a whole lot less, but that doesn't seem to be an available option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooLogical View Post
Thought it was around 5800, but that may have been before grandfathering.
Sounds about right, maybe 5600? Grandfathering reduced it quite a bit.

Old 01-18-2018, 03:58 AM

547 posts, read 535,645 times
So it sounds likes this redistricting is going to be about as large as the last. Itís hard to wrap my head around 1 in 9 kids when the last one was only three years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte