Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2018, 07:38 PM

549 posts, read 670,353 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post

Maybe we should talk about how the BOE is spending our bond money next?
And how about how certain commissioners are helping them cover it up? After I started shouting about the bond project changes the BOE tried to sneak by the public in a special joint meeting with the BOCC never having voted on them at their own BOE meeting, I got a personal call from a county commissioner wanting me to shut up about the bond fund diversion.

No more checks and balances on school system spending priorities with the current cast on these two boards.

Last edited by BubbaHelms; 03-11-2018 at 07:47 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2018, 08:42 PM

6,150 posts, read 9,967,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getatag View Post
Why spread out the students simply to keep schools open. Wouldn't it be cost effective to close the schools and reap the savings by reducing the transportation needs, (a biggie with this BOE), staff, electricity, water, maintenance, etc.?
If you look at the capacity numbers they hired Cropper to do, "cap" level went down in almost all the schools. Especially the ES to account for HB-13. Maybe it's right, maybe it's off. Either way, HB-13 will help keep more schools open for sure.

Closing schools will be very difficult and require another redistricting, I am fairly certain McK will make his services available. Don't forget, this was the "neighborhood schools" redistrict when the cowboy introduced it. The criteria kind of was elastic from there - transportation was hot early on, keeping neighborhoods together, crossing natural boundaries, but utilization over time was the creme in the end... as long as certain conditions were met if you get my draft. * wink wink

Stability for the students never really caught on as a major consideration.

Old 03-12-2018, 05:34 AM

22 posts, read 16,037 times
Quote:
Enrollment for UCPS is on the decline and it is forecast to get even lower as more charters open and existing charters expand. Even with those obvious indicators (enrollment numbers are publicly available), many people choose to judge by "eye" what is happening... they see lots of new construction and some crowded schools, so they assume the county needs to build more schools. Unfortunately, the reality is that UCPS will likely be closing schools not too far into the future.
I took a good look at the enrollment numbers in UC....I don't see any evidence of a steady decline in enrollment. Where is this coming from?

Old 03-12-2018, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB in NC View Post
I took a good look at the enrollment numbers in UC....I don't see any evidence of a steady decline in enrollment. Where is this coming from?
huh? you don't see that enrollment numbers are going down?

Old 03-12-2018, 06:52 AM

5,408 posts, read 5,882,125 times
Quote:
Did you look here:

https://www.ucps.k12.nc.us/Page/3229

Old 03-12-2018, 07:08 AM

Quote:
huh? you don't see that enrollment numbers are going down?
Nothing that would warrant closing schools. The data is inconclusive if anything.

Last edited by MB in NC; 03-12-2018 at 07:17 AM..

Old 03-12-2018, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by getatag View Post
Yes. I had knowledge of that very helpful site prior to ever reading anything here.

Old 03-12-2018, 07:40 AM

5,408 posts, read 5,882,125 times
Quote:
Yes. I had knowledge of that very helpful site prior to ever reading anything here.
There is a slight decline of enrollment over the last 3 or 4 years. Combine that with Mckibben/Cropper projections and you have a declining enrollment over the next decade.
Now, couple that with the total vacant seats throughout the county and you could conceivably close an elementary or two. Yes, that would entail another redistricting, but for years McKibben was touting any school system wishing to stay ahead of student assignments would have to redistrict every 3 or 4 years anyway.

Old 03-12-2018, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Nothing that would warrant closing schools. The data is inconclusive if anything.
Keep in mind that I was not saying that schools would be closing in the very near future... my entire point is that at minimum enrollment has leveled off and is in decline. That is confirmed by the actual data.

Now combine that with the forecast, which shows a steep decline coming, and the additional charter seats coming online. You may want to call this "inconclusive", but it's pretty clear to me that UCPS won't be building new schools.

Old 03-12-2018, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Keep in mind that I was not saying that schools would be closing in the very near future... my entire point is that at minimum enrollment has leveled off and is in decline. That is confirmed by the actual data.

Now combine that with the forecast, which shows a steep decline coming, and the additional charter seats coming online. You may want to call this "inconclusive", but it's pretty clear to me that UCPS won't be building new schools.
Based on the projections of folks that most people feel are full of monkey dung?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte