Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2017, 11:36 AM

751 posts, read 934,488 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
All opinions welcome. You may very well be right... if we see the likes of Sean Maher and Angry Dad on the committee, that would certainly support your theory.

Stay tuned...
Angry Dad...that'd be funny if it was his real name.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2017, 11:48 AM

114 posts, read 130,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UDcc123 View Post
Angry Dad...that'd be funny if it was his real name.
He is an angry little sucker. The angrier he gets the funnier he actually becomes.

Old 03-17-2017, 01:13 PM

631 posts, read 892,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaHelms View Post
If McKibben determines that the population is going to continue to increase in the Cuthbertson area, it makes much more sense for the students redistricted to Parkwood to be allowed to return to Cuthbertson and to add a classroom wing there where the core of the school would not require expansion.
I don't disagree, but isn't that what started this whole thing? I remember way way back when CMS/CHS opened there was an entire empty wing. Wasn't there a proposal to use that wing as a disciplinary school or maybe it was for a short period of time? I can't even recall who was on the BOE way back then, but they moved the borders to fill it up. 3 years ago that border was pushed back to PW.

Old 03-17-2017, 03:43 PM

5,453 posts, read 6,041,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooLogical View Post
I don't disagree, but isn't that what started this whole thing? I remember way way back when CMS/CHS opened there was an entire empty wing. Wasn't there a proposal to use that wing as a disciplinary school or maybe it was for a short period of time? I can't even recall who was on the BOE way back then, but they moved the borders to fill it up. 3 years ago that border was pushed back to PW.
Cuthbertson was slated to open at something like 40-45% of capacity. The BOE caught lots of flak over opening a new school with such a low population. Some of the flak came from the Commissioners. The BOE, after much discussion, decided to increase the population of the school by expanding it's assignment area deeper into Parkwood. That still left a wing uninhabited because there were no seniors the opening year. There was also a mildly crowded situation at an older facility that was formerly Waxhaw Elementary and was serving as South Providence, an alternative school for the entire county. The empty wing was temporarily put to use as the upper school of South Providence. This created quite a stir in the community as it was assumed trouble would follow that population. None of those fears were realized during the tenure of South Providence at Cuthbertson. In fact, over 40% of the population of the South Providence students housed at Cuthbertson were actually assigned to the Cuthbertson cluster as their home school. There may have been a total of less than 50 students there at it's peak.

Old 03-17-2017, 06:00 PM

549 posts, read 680,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
This makes sense, but logic doesn't always apply... We both thought they would build another Elem in Cuthbertson, boy were we wrong. Then again, if they expand on CMS, I would think they need to add Elem capacity. Which could be the 2nd floor on NTES that was proposed?
Due to the missing elementary in the Cuthbertson district and the lack of a county-wide elementary population large enough to support building one, I think McKibben will have to be a miracle worker to avoid multiple split elementary feeders between the Parkwood, Cuthbertson and Marvin clutsters. The schools around Waxhaw are just too poorly placed in relation to each other.

Old 03-20-2017, 08:54 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,027,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaHelms View Post
Due to the missing elementary in the Cuthbertson district and the lack of a county-wide elementary population large enough to support building one, I think McKibben will have to be a miracle worker to avoid multiple split elementary feeders between the Parkwood, Cuthbertson and Marvin clutsters. The schools around Waxhaw are just too poorly placed in relation to each other.
I think you're basically referring to WES, KES, and SRES. Big neighborhoods, dense, trapped against the state border. Maybe not so much Marvin with the bigger zoning restrictions. Although I remember last time they specifically asked to avoid splitting Elems, that may not be the case now.

McK is going to have to get creative I'm sure, but it remains to be seen how many cooks are in the kitchen.

Old 06-26-2017, 10:43 PM

1 posts, read 1,223 times
We are thinking about purchasing a home in Millbridge this summer. We have been renting in the Porter Ridge Cluster and would like to relocate before our eldest begins middle school. We are concerned that Millbridge may be subject to redistricting this time around. But it seems that if the "neighborhood schools" proposal is followed, Millbridge could potentially redistrict to Marvin, as it is the closest HS geographically besides CHS. Any advice or info on whether Millbridge would be a solid investment?

Old 06-27-2017, 03:02 AM

5,453 posts, read 6,041,816 times
According to Vice Chair Sides, with no opposition from other board members, you will be able to go to whatever school you desire. Evidently schools of choice will be available in UC. Don't trust this forum, call Mr. Sides for clarification.

Old 06-27-2017, 02:28 PM

398 posts, read 618,959 times
getatag nailed it. Mr. Sides says you can go wherever you want.... Call him.

Old 06-28-2017, 05:26 AM

6,319 posts, read 10,341,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kates1031 View Post
We are thinking about purchasing a home in Millbridge this summer. We have been renting in the Porter Ridge Cluster and would like to relocate before our eldest begins middle school. We are concerned that Millbridge may be subject to redistricting this time around. But it seems that if the "neighborhood schools" proposal is followed, Millbridge could potentially redistrict to Marvin, as it is the closest HS geographically besides CHS. Any advice or info on whether Millbridge would be a solid investment?
If it's like the last redistricting, "closest" doesn't matter. Last time I thought the talk was of Millbridge possibly going to Parkwood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte