Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2017, 06:23 AM

114 posts, read 130,357 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
The legacy CAPS crew definitely will have lots to say I'm sure.
You have to give them credit - they have been able to sustain their anger and hatred for quite a while. Enough to finally give them a majority on the board. Now with that power, we shall see what they actually do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2017, 07:35 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,022,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phocion View Post
You have to give them credit - they have been able to sustain their anger and hatred for quite a while. Enough to finally give them a majority on the board. Now with that power, we shall see what they actually do.
What may be getting lost (forest for the trees), is that ultimately UCPS has entered into an agreement for a redistricting study with McK and is paying a significant amount of money for it. That is ultimately a quantitative analysis.

Of course, the BOE's requirement for "neighborhood schools" is where subjectivity comes into play and that's what many folks will latch onto... but, you can't throw a rock in any direction in Union county and not hit a new development coming out of the ground. So I wonder how long it will take to hear some of the old logistical nightmare suggestions that popped up in the past - seniority to school assignment by address, newer developments being "pushed" further away before existing communities, etc. I have little doubt these angles are waiting in the wings... because at the end of the day, like with anything in life, there is disappointment for some ahead.

It is impossible to avoid some level of "winners and losers" when the BOE votes on the realignment about a year from now. Thus my wise arse comments like let the games begin, pass the popcorn, etc.

Old 03-16-2017, 08:36 AM

549 posts, read 679,468 times
Quote:
Bubba has changed his tune from the last go round.
Fool me once... Apparently, the plan wasn't really to buy five years to address the capacity issues.

Old 03-16-2017, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
Of course, the BOE's requirement for "neighborhood schools" is where subjectivity comes into play and that's what many folks will latch onto... but, you can't throw a rock in any direction in Union county and not hit a new development coming out of the ground. So I wonder how long it will take to hear some of the old logistical nightmare suggestions that popped up in the past - seniority to school assignment by address, newer developments being "pushed" further away before existing communities, etc. I have little doubt these angles are waiting in the wings... because at the end of the day, like with anything in life, there is disappointment for some ahead.

It is impossible to avoid some level of "winners and losers" when the BOE votes on the realignment about a year from now. Thus my wise arse comments like let the games begin, pass the popcorn, etc.
Goes back to what I said before. I agree with neighborhood schools, your entire neighborhood should go to the same school. What I am not sure can work is going to the exact closest school to your neighborhood, as it may hit capacity with neighborhoods that are closer than yours (not you specifically Mikey). And sure, those neighborhoods may be newer, but that is what happens in a district with a lot of open land.

Old 03-16-2017, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaHelms View Post
Fool me once... Apparently, the plan wasn't really to buy five years to address the capacity issues.
What was the plan? Are you on the conspiracy bandwagon now Bubba?

Old 03-16-2017, 12:04 PM

Quote:
What was the plan? Are you on the conspiracy bandwagon now Bubba?
No "conspiracy bandwagons". I've just got sense enough to not the drink the Kool-aid.

Old 03-16-2017, 01:06 PM

Quote:
No "conspiracy bandwagons". I've just got sense enough to not the drink the Kool-aid.
I think this board and the last board have plenty of Kool-Aid to go around.

Old 03-16-2017, 02:55 PM

5,451 posts, read 6,033,033 times
Quote:
You mean no schools over UCPS's fictional capacities?

I think you may be mistaken though.

http://www.wsoctv.com/news/local/som...choo/113016361

Also, Porter Ridge is supposed to be capped at 1700 and ADM is 1747.

And we have a thousand or more students in older middle schools originally designed to hold 700-800. Those schools often have 35+ students packed into their substandard sized classrooms.

I don't think I'd call the redistricting a success.
Wow, somehow I missed this earlier, you must have been actively editing while I was answering.

So for one school, and a high school at that (they can take more students because of the blocking), you are condoning a redistricting?
With Charter's opening and the usual drop in enrollment from Jan to end of school, PRHS will be fine. Just call the Principal and ask him.

So 4 years out and 47 students over is reason not to call the last reassignment successful? You have a right to your opinion, but the numbers show it to be a success, even based upon earlier reassignments when new schools were opened.

Old 03-16-2017, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by getatag View Post
Wow, somehow I missed this earlier, you must have been actively editing while I was answering.

So for one school, and a high school at that (they can take more students because of the blocking), you are condoning a redistricting?
With Charter's opening and the usual drop in enrollment from Jan to end of school, PRHS will be fine. Just call the Principal and ask him.

So 4 years out and 47 students over is reason not to call the last reassignment successful? You have a right to your opinion, but the numbers show it to be a success, even based upon earlier reassignments when new schools were opened.
That's simply the one school over UCPS's stated CAP LEVEL.

Cap Level ≠ Capacity

and

UCPS's Stated Capacities ≠ Actual Capacities

At least half of our middle schools are currently over their actual capacities.

Old 03-16-2017, 04:07 PM

5,451 posts, read 6,033,033 times
Quote:
That's simply the one school over UCPS's stated CAP LEVEL.

Cap Level ≠ Capacity

and

UCPS's Stated Capacities ≠ Actual Capacities

At least half of our middle schools are currently over their actual capacities.

Funny how this discussion has come full circle in the past 4 years. It could make a person dizzy.....

So if you claim they are ready for reassignment now, wonder what might have been if the previous reassignment had never taken place... In the words of a famous UC Simpson, "D'oh!".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte