Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2018, 07:06 AM

549 posts, read 679,422 times

Advertisements

"School board members say this time around the process was more transparent and had community buy-in." Union County school board approves student realignment - | WBTV Charlotte

"Community buy-in"? I think some of our school board members live in a bubble. I suspect this wasn't quite the reaction they were expecting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2018, 07:55 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,022,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaHelms View Post
We don't know the impact on utilization of those changes. The board had the numbers at the working session but they were never posted for the public to see at least not anywhere I can find. I have no idea what the utilization will be at Parkwood, Cuthbertson, Weddington, or Marvin with the board changes. I could go do the math for us, but why not make that information available to the public? For all that crowing about "transparency", the public seems to be totally in the dark at the moment. People are all over FaceBook trying to figure out if they are impacted and there is no concise map to view.
I agree completely on that point... in this regard it was exactly like the last redistrict - in the end the people are not at the table seeing the numbers and we have to assume "the BOE knows best".

Old 03-08-2018, 08:53 PM

43 posts, read 30,492 times
I have been just reading and figured i would finally sign up so i could comment and try to understand the mindset of some on this thread....I get if your child was moved from one school to another, you would be upset, but i am not getting that vibe here....The vibe i am getting is that some of the most vocal people here (Logical, Mikey. Bubba) were basically unaffected by this redistricting/realignment. Please, if i am incorrect with my assumption, feel free to correct me. It seems that you are annoyed or upset, because other people are satisfied with it. Am i right? It would seem that you have this genuine ax to grind because redistricting satisfied some people. I am going to ask why? If you were unaffected by this measure, why are you so upset about the people that are happy about it? If it was all about doing what was right, you should have been upset about the last redistricting a few years ago. That one was a train wreck with no planning, no supporting data, with officials outright lying. Am i to belive you agreed with that but have issues with this one? Your arguments hold no objectivity and reek of a personal grudge not against individuals, but entire neighborhoods....I seriously want to ask why?

Old 03-09-2018, 11:16 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,022,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Town Feel View Post
I have been just reading and figured i would finally sign up so i could comment and try to understand the mindset of some on this thread....I get if your child was moved from one school to another, you would be upset, but i am not getting that vibe here....The vibe i am getting is that some of the most vocal people here (Logical, Mikey. Bubba) were basically unaffected by this redistricting/realignment. Please, if i am incorrect with my assumption, feel free to correct me. It seems that you are annoyed or upset, because other people are satisfied with it. Am i right? It would seem that you have this genuine ax to grind because redistricting satisfied some people. I am going to ask why? If you were unaffected by this measure, why are you so upset about the people that are happy about it? If it was all about doing what was right, you should have been upset about the last redistricting a few years ago. That one was a train wreck with no planning, no supporting data, with officials outright lying. Am i to belive you agreed with that but have issues with this one? Your arguments hold no objectivity and reek of a personal grudge not against individuals, but entire neighborhoods....I seriously want to ask why?
Well, since we are "reading vibes" it seems you got exactly what you wanted from this redistrict and that's all that matters to you... so that would easily explain your position. amirite? or are you honestly looking for answers to your questions?

If your research of my "vibe" consisted of only reading this thread - you missed a lot. A large contingent of us (including TooLogical - I'm pretty sure Bubba was here posting under another screenname) have been outspoken on the redistricting process as far back as when the previous one was hinted at, discussion of that school board, the previous UCPS superintendent, etc. There are several EPIC threads on these subjects. My point is - the issues discussed at length on these boards pre-date the current process. We were all calling out the obvious issues last time, too.

So, if many of us have consistently been critical of both redistrictings for the same reason... just like last time, this time the board took it too far - where is your issue? I wasn't OK with the last one and I'm not OK with this one. This board, like the last board, took it upon themselves to overreach. Instead of addressing the immediate known needs, they tried to "fix" what wasn't necessarily broken. Both redistricting have impacted over 5k kids (many twice in 4 years) when they could have moved a fraction of that number each time. The list of unknowns is still huge - the demographer who created the forecast this entire redistrict is based upon said it himself many times.

If you got what you want out of this redistrict don't let your rose colored glasses fog your vision. This one had better PR, which is probably because of some of the personalities involved - or that there was no CAPS group this time, there was no Savage or Hodges, no lawsuits, or a friendly rubber stamp from the BOCC. I can't really say for sure, maybe it was a combo of all those things. In the end, don't confuse calling out issues with this redistrict as support of the last one... because that does not exist.

Frankly, I have no clue what "entire neighborhoods" I could possibly have a personal grudge against. Maybe you'd share. Because form where I sit, Milbridge and Weddington Chase got the last minute hose job by this board - you have a personal grudge against those neighborhoods?

Old 03-09-2018, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
Well, since we are "reading vibes" it seems you got exactly what you wanted from this redistrict and that's all that matters to you... so that would easily explain your position. amirite? or are you honestly looking for answers to your questions?

If your research of my "vibe" consisted of only reading this thread - you missed a lot. A large contingent of us (including TooLogical - I'm pretty sure Bubba was here posting under another screenname) have been outspoken on the redistricting process as far back as when the previous one was hinted at, discussion of that school board, the previous UCPS superintendent, etc. There are several EPIC threads on these subjects. My point is - the issues discussed at length on these boards pre-date the current process. We were all calling out the obvious issues last time, too.

So, if many of us have consistently been critical of both redistrictings for the same reason... just like last time, this time the board took it too far - where is your issue? I wasn't OK with the last one and I'm not OK with this one. This board, like the last board, took it upon themselves to overreach. Instead of addressing the immediate known needs, they tried to "fix" what wasn't necessarily broken. Both redistricting have impacted over 5k kids (many twice in 4 years) when they could have moved a fraction of that number each time. The list of unknowns is still huge - the demographer who created the forecast this entire redistrict is based upon said it himself many times.

If you got what you want out of this redistrict don't let your rose colored glasses fog your vision. This one had better PR, which is probably because of some of the personalities involved - or that there was no CAPS group this time, there was no Savage or Hodges, no lawsuits, or a friendly rubber stamp from the BOCC. I can't really say for sure, maybe it was a combo of all those things. In the end, don't confuse calling out issues with this redistrict as support of the last one... because that does not exist.

Frankly, I have no clue what "entire neighborhoods" I could possibly have a personal grudge against. Maybe you'd share. Because form where I sit, Milbridge and Weddington Chase got the last minute hose job by this board - you have a personal grudge against those neighborhoods?
Mikey, your assumption is incorrect. I didnt get what i wanted from this redistricting as i wasnt moved. Similar to the last one as i wasnt moved then. My concern was for some friends that were impacted. Where i reside, i am probably not getting moved. So you are a bit off base on that account. My original post said if i was off in reading your “vibe”, please correct me as i probably dont know you personally. To your point about other threads, i havent read every one of your comments for any other thread you may have been on. I have been following this thread. I legitimately want to understand the points that people make and why they make them. Some people are going to criticize EVERYTHING. They have a habit of playing armchair QB and question the motives and they think they know better and what should be done. Not saying that is you, saying that mentality exists. Now, if you are one of those people, then me discussing this with you falls on deaf ears. I am going to give you the benefit of the doubt and basically ask you, what is it that you think was done wrong and what would you have done differently? You seem to indicate that moving 5000 kids was to much....2000 better? Nobody? Trying to be objective and fair, the last one was a wreck, i think we would both agree on that. It seemed that old board had a vendetta against people and that was a personal thing. This one had input from citizens, had significantly more transparency. The BOE seemed to really go out of their way with grand fathering to lessen the impact to as many people as they possibly could. Was it perfect? Absolutely not. Being fair, no plan would be perfect.
I disagree with you on the coverage and PR. I thought the last one was much more widely covered than this one. Again, just a differing opinion. The other part i disagree with you on is that MB got a hose job. Not one single house in MB got moved. I have seen entries on other social media sites with some of the residents pitching a beef. No one got moved. The one part of MB that was deemed to move hasnt even started being developed yet. At least now, when/if they develop that part of MB, those buyers will know up front where they are going to school. That is a far cry from a “hose job” IMO. As far as WC, there seemed to be many residents who anted to go back to the MR cluster. I realize that isnt every single family so to your point i guess there are some people who didnt like the decision. To end my long winded response, you and others seem very critical, yet you havent brought to the table what you would have done. I would be curious to hear

Old 03-09-2018, 12:45 PM

549 posts, read 679,422 times
Quote:
To end my long winded response, you and others seem very critical, yet you havent brought to the table what you would have done. I would be curious to hear
How about phase in the realignment and in a year or two when the enrollment at Marvin Ridge actually declines, then follow the advice of the expert who said to move Kensington into the Marvin Ridge cluster, Rea View into the Weddington cluster, and Wesley Chapel into the Cuthbertson cluster? He thought that would actually possibly buy UCPS the ten years between redistrictings that the BOE was claiming we would get out of this one.

Old 03-09-2018, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaHelms View Post
How about phase in the realignment and in a year or two when the enrollment at Marvin Ridge actually declines, then follow the advice of the expert who said to move Kensington into the Marvin Ridge cluster, Rea View into the Weddington cluster, and Wesley Chapel into the Cuthbertson cluster? He thought that would actually possibly buy UCPS the ten years between redistrictings that the BOE was claiming we would get out of this one.
Bubba, thank you for the reply....Forgive me that i dont have all the data but have familiarized myself with the data i have found. The issue i see with your proposal (and please keep me honest as you may have more info than i have looked over) is isnt Kensington’s population primarily composed of MB? In turn i would imagine that MB makes up a substantial population of Cutty? So your plan would essentially reduce the population of Cutty to increase Marvin? In the current situation, many residents of MB (i wont say a majority, but a very vocal part of that community) absolutely lost their minds because a small portion of MB that isnt even developed yet got slated to another school. Do you think that they wouldnt be crazed if you moved sitting students out of Cutty? Wouldn’t that be more impactful?

Old 03-09-2018, 01:19 PM

114 posts, read 130,339 times
Quote:
This one had input from citizens, had significantly more transparency.
I would say this one had the appearance of transparency, as these board leaders knew how they attacked the last board leaders and were looking to ward that off. Actual transparency, I would say was the same as before.

Quote:
I disagree with you on the coverage and PR. I thought the last one was much more widely covered than this one.
This board was also able to keep it out the news very effectively. I think it was because you didn't have their group threatening lawsuits, holding rallies in fields and protesting at every meeting. Instead you had parents just sending emails, which if you talk to them were ignored, much like last time.

End of the day, you had a redistricting. Some are happy, some are not. Last time it was done by a board that said it was looking to address overcrowding, and they took a machete where a scalpel would have been more effective. This time it was done by a board that was looking to undo what had happened to them in the last redistricting. Both are going to move a lot of students, both are going to be tempered by grandfathering. Both no one knows how long it will last for.

Old 03-09-2018, 01:21 PM

22 posts, read 16,285 times
Quote:
Bubba, thank you for the reply....Forgive me that i dont have all the data but have familiarized myself with the data i have found. The issue i see with your proposal (and please keep me honest as you may have more info than i have looked over) is isnt Kensington’s population primarily composed of MB? In turn i would imagine that MB makes up a substantial population of Cutty? So your plan would essentially reduce the population of Cutty to increase Marvin? In the current situation, many residents of MB (i wont say a majority, but a very vocal part of that community) absolutely lost their minds because a small portion of MB that isnt even developed yet got slated to another school. Do you think that they wouldnt be crazed if you moved sitting students out of Cutty? Wouldn’t that be more impactful?
I guess I'll enter the fray after reading this for awhile.

I think he meant to take Kensington out of the cluster, not Millbridge. Either way, your point is valid. Kensington is basically in Millbridge. Rezoning it north makes little sense.

As a new MB resident, I understand why they drew the line where they did and I'm fine with it. I can't say the same for the builders (DR Horton and M/I).

Old 03-09-2018, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB in NC View Post
I guess I'll enter the fray after reading this for awhile.

I think he meant to take Kensington out of the cluster, not Millbridge. Either way, your point is valid. Kensington is basically in Millbridge. Rezoning it north makes little sense.

As a new MB resident, I understand why they drew the line where they did and I'm fine with it. I can't say the same for the builders (DR Horton and M/I).
MB, let me ask you. I assume you have kids in the school system. If you got moved from Cutty to Marvin, would you be annoyed?

As to your 2nd point, i absolutely agree with you. Builders care about 1 thing, they care about $$$$. Now from what i understand, the builder donated the land (dont know if that is true or not) to build Nesbitt Park. If that is the case, very benevolent gesture. Typically a builder wants to build, make as much money as possible and get out to the next development. I am not taking shots at anyone or any area and i ask if there are any realtors on here to keep me honest with my next statement. Take a new home construction....everything being exactly the same (house, features, land, etc). Zone that house for Marvin schools....Say that house that is assigned to Marvin Schools is $350,000....Now take that house and say its assigned to Parkwood. What’s it now going to sell for? Fair to say about $300,000? So yes, besides the emotional stress of kids getting moved, there is also a huge financial impact as well
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte