Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2018, 02:33 PM

22 posts, read 16,321 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Town Feel View Post
MB, let me ask you. I assume you have kids in the school system. If you got moved from Cutty to Marvin, would you be annoyed?

As to your 2nd point, i absolutely agree with you. Builders care about 1 thing, they care about $$$$. Now from what i understand, the builder donated the land (dont know if that is true or not) to build Nesbitt Park. If that is the case, very benevolent gesture. Typically a builder wants to build, make as much money as possible and get out to the next development. I am not taking shots at anyone or any area and i ask if there are any realtors on here to keep me honest with my next statement. Take a new home construction....everything being exactly the same (house, features, land, etc). Zone that house for Marvin schools....Say that house that is assigned to Marvin Schools is $350,000....Now take that house and say its assigned to Parkwood. What’s it now going to sell for? Fair to say about $300,000? So yes, besides the emotional stress of kids getting moved, there is also a huge financial impact as well
If we got moved anywhere, I would be annoyed. I'd be happier in Marvin than in Parkwood. Millbridge boasts being a top community, so naturally they want the whole enchillada zoned for the same school. That being said, if I'm sitting there trying to figure out who to move where to make what work, am I going to impact the ~300 families that already attend, or the ones that will attend in the future (theoretically, on paper)? Clear choice would be the latter.

Ironically, M/I Homes has a seminar for future prospective buyers in Millbridge scheduled for tomorrow. That should be a barrel of monkeys.

With all that said, I get two things from this:

1) Parkwood should improve with all the new money continuing to funnel into the district.

2) There's a clear need for a new cluster somewhere between Cuthbertson and Parkwood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2018, 02:51 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,027,209 times
Quote:
Mikey, your assumption is incorrect. I didnt get what i wanted from this redistricting as i wasnt moved. Similar to the last one as i wasnt moved then. My concern was for some friends that were impacted. Where i reside, i am probably not getting moved. So you are a bit off base on that account. My original post said if i was off in reading your “vibe”, please correct me as i probably dont know you personally. To your point about other threads, i havent read every one of your comments for any other thread you may have been on. I have been following this thread. I legitimately want to understand the points that people make and why they make them. Some people are going to criticize EVERYTHING. They have a habit of playing armchair QB and question the motives and they think they know better and what should be done. Not saying that is you, saying that mentality exists. Now, if you are one of those people, then me discussing this with you falls on deaf ears. I am going to give you the benefit of the doubt and basically ask you, what is it that you think was done wrong and what would you have done differently? You seem to indicate that moving 5000 kids was to much....2000 better? Nobody? Trying to be objective and fair, the last one was a wreck, i think we would both agree on that. It seemed that old board had a vendetta against people and that was a personal thing. This one had input from citizens, had significantly more transparency. The BOE seemed to really go out of their way with grand fathering to lessen the impact to as many people as they possibly could. Was it perfect? Absolutely not. Being fair, no plan would be perfect.
I disagree with you on the coverage and PR. I thought the last one was much more widely covered than this one. Again, just a differing opinion. The other part i disagree with you on is that MB got a hose job. Not one single house in MB got moved. I have seen entries on other social media sites with some of the residents pitching a beef. No one got moved. The one part of MB that was deemed to move hasnt even started being developed yet. At least now, when/if they develop that part of MB, those buyers will know up front where they are going to school. That is a far cry from a “hose job” IMO. As far as WC, there seemed to be many residents who anted to go back to the MR cluster. I realize that isnt every single family so to your point i guess there are some people who didnt like the decision. To end my long winded response, you and others seem very critical, yet you havent brought to the table what you would have done. I would be curious to hear
You were unaffected - which does lead to some level of apathy similar to getting a positive outcome. I would have suspected that you could garner empathy for friends who were impacted, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

I feel like I have made very specific coherent points in redistrict discussions over the years. I started this particular thread because I knew there would be more things to say for a lot of people, including myself. I'm not going to repeat everything or even attempt to sum up 66 pages of comments because if you've read through them, you have heard it before. Yet, you're here acting obtuse. You are obviously predisposed to your opinion as much as you accuse everyone else of being. It is human nature, I can't blame anyone for it. But, I will bite and play this game with you for a bit. Before I do and give you some feedback, it would helpful knowing if you understand the dynamics of UC politics and if you stay engaged in what our elected officials are doing for the county. If you just watch from the sidelines and look at this redistrict compared to the last one on the surface, that context matters.

My point was that the last redistricting was covered widely and this one wasn't. That's a fact, not opinion. The opinion comes in on why it wasn't covered. Your Milbridge logic could be applied to anyone who buys a home in UC - you know upfront you could be assigned to any school - this has been proven. The "hose job" from my perspective was how the redistricting criteria were applied and weighted throughout the process. What started as a level set of criteria swung towards emphasizing utilization above all - utilization that were by and large estimates - estimates that were flawed - set upon debatable capacity numbers. Splitting Milbridge was symbolic. Continuing to cross natural boundaries (i.e. Providence Rd) is symbolic. The process started off with the correct idea - from no questions asked to balancing all the criteria. As time went on, this became an identical exercise to the last redistricting in reverse.

Quote:
MB, let me ask you. I assume you have kids in the school system. If you got moved from Cutty to Marvin, would you be annoyed?

As to your 2nd point, i absolutely agree with you. Builders care about 1 thing, they care about $$$$. Now from what i understand, the builder donated the land (dont know if that is true or not) to build Nesbitt Park. If that is the case, very benevolent gesture. Typically a builder wants to build, make as much money as possible and get out to the next development. I am not taking shots at anyone or any area and i ask if there are any realtors on here to keep me honest with my next statement. Take a new home construction....everything being exactly the same (house, features, land, etc). Zone that house for Marvin schools....Say that house that is assigned to Marvin Schools is $350,000....Now take that house and say its assigned to Parkwood. What’s it now going to sell for? Fair to say about $300,000? So yes, besides the emotional stress of kids getting moved, there is also a huge financial impact as well
Let me just say this because you might not know... developers "donate" land in exchange for extra density on zoning. By donating land they get approved to build more homes - and make more money.

You bringing home value into this discussion tells me quite a bit about your ultimate motivation.

Old 03-09-2018, 04:49 PM

549 posts, read 680,198 times
Quote:
Bubba, thank you for the reply....Forgive me that i dont have all the data but have familiarized myself with the data i have found. The issue i see with your proposal (and please keep me honest as you may have more info than i have looked over) is isnt Kensington’s population primarily composed of MB? In turn i would imagine that MB makes up a substantial population of Cutty? So your plan would essentially reduce the population of Cutty to increase Marvin? In the current situation, many residents of MB (i wont say a majority, but a very vocal part of that community) absolutely lost their minds because a small portion of MB that isnt even developed yet got slated to another school. Do you think that they wouldnt be crazed if you moved sitting students out of Cutty? Wouldn’t that be more impactful?
It wasn’t my proposal. It was the demographer’s. And Cuthbertson would not have been emptied because Wesley Chapel would have been assigned there in place of Kensington. But alas, that conflicted with the BOE majority’s master plan of getting Wesley Chapel assigned to Weddington. Though it makes perfect sense as it would have a lot less people crossing back and forth over Hwy 16 than the BOE’s plan.

Old 03-09-2018, 04:59 PM

114 posts, read 130,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaHelms View Post
It wasn’t my proposal. It was the demographer’s. And Cuthbertson would not have been emptied because Wesley Chapel would have been assigned there in place of Kensington. But alas, that conflicted with the BOE majority’s master plan of getting Wesley Chapel assigned to Weddington. Though it makes perfect sense as it would have a lot less people crossing back and forth over Hwy 16 than the BOE’s plan.
Moves to Weddington and Porter Ridge and moves from Parkwood. This whole thing in a nutshell.

Old 03-09-2018, 05:07 PM

6,319 posts, read 10,342,588 times
Mod Edit

But I’m confused...you weren’t moved last time and you weren’t moved this time, but you didn’t get what you wanted? So you wanted to be moved?

Criticizing people for criticizing the redistricting even if they weren’t personally effected is silly. If anything, that’s when you know a redistricting is really bad, since the people that were effected are naturally going to be upset. And honestly it seems that’s why a lot of people especially in this thread are upset about this redistricting - a few people were so upset about how the last redistricting effected them personally that they got on the board in order to reverse it, ignoring the effect on the rest of the county, including some of their own neighbors who had come to like their last assignment. (Full disclosure: I don’t even live in UC but it’s interesting following these threads).

Last edited by The Villages Guy; 03-09-2018 at 05:18 PM.. Reason: Discuss topics, not members. Thx much.

Old 03-09-2018, 05:46 PM

43 posts, read 30,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
Mod Edit

But I’m confused...you weren’t moved last time and you weren’t moved this time, but you didn’t get what you wanted? So you wanted to be moved?

Criticizing people for criticizing the redistricting even if they weren’t personally effected is silly. If anything, that’s when you know a redistricting is really bad, since the people that were effected are naturally going to be upset. And honestly it seems that’s why a lot of people especially in this thread are upset about this redistricting - a few people were so upset about how the last redistricting effected them personally that they got on the board in order to reverse it, ignoring the effect on the rest of the county, including some of their own neighbors who had come to like their last assignment. (Full disclosure: I don’t even live in UC but it’s interesting following these threads).
Who said i didnt get what i wanted? I made it clear upfront that i was asking people like Mikey, Logical and Bubba why they were so upset. I also did add that friends of mine were affected. Again, if you actually read my original post i said i felt that Mikey, Logical, and Bubba seemed to be upset and i asked why. Was it because if they were redistricted? Was it for another reason? Let me ask you Phils, how do you think these new board members magically got on the BOE? They were elected....so obviously the voters didnt agree with what the previous board did. The vast majority of the board members who implemented the last fiasco basically were kicked to the curb....I mean lets not mince words, thats what happened.. You said yourself you dont live in UC. How can you possibly know if anything was ignored? You cant. You are essentially going on what a few people on here share. People like Mikey, Logical and Bubba cannot possibly speak to what the whole county feels

Old 03-09-2018, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaHelms View Post
Bubba, let me ask, was it your expectation that the board follow the demographers recommendations to the letter? If that is the way you feel, that is fine. My only rebuttal to that was you must have been livid over the previous redistricting, due to the fact that the old regime basically lied thru their teeth and tried to pin it on the McKibbin report and when finally asked, Dr McKibbin basically cut them off at the legs saying none of what they did had anything to do with his findings

Old 03-09-2018, 05:57 PM

6,319 posts, read 10,342,588 times
Quote:
Who said i didnt get what i wanted?
You did?

Quote:
Mikey, your assumption is incorrect. I didnt get what i wanted from this redistricting as i wasnt moved. Similar to the last one as i wasnt moved then.

Old 03-09-2018, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
You were unaffected - which does lead to some level of apathy similar to getting a positive outcome. I would have suspected that you could garner empathy for friends who were impacted, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

I feel like I have made very specific coherent points in redistrict discussions over the years. I started this particular thread because I knew there would be more things to say for a lot of people, including myself. I'm not going to repeat everything or even attempt to sum up 66 pages of comments because if you've read through them, you have heard it before. Yet, you're here acting obtuse. You are obviously predisposed to your opinion as much as you accuse everyone else of being. It is human nature, I can't blame anyone for it. But, I will bite and play this game with you for a bit. Before I do and give you some feedback, it would helpful knowing if you understand the dynamics of UC politics and if you stay engaged in what our elected officials are doing for the county. If you just watch from the sidelines and look at this redistrict compared to the last one on the surface, that context matters.

My point was that the last redistricting was covered widely and this one wasn't. That's a fact, not opinion. The opinion comes in on why it wasn't covered. Your Milbridge logic could be applied to anyone who buys a home in UC - you know upfront you could be assigned to any school - this has been proven. The "hose job" from my perspective was how the redistricting criteria were applied and weighted throughout the process. What started as a level set of criteria swung towards emphasizing utilization above all - utilization that were by and large estimates - estimates that were flawed - set upon debatable capacity numbers. Splitting Milbridge was symbolic. Continuing to cross natural boundaries (i.e. Providence Rd) is symbolic. The process started off with the correct idea - from no questions asked to balancing all the criteria. As time went on, this became an identical exercise to the last redistricting in reverse.

Let me just say this because you might not know... developers "donate" land in exchange for extra density on zoning. By donating land they get approved to build more homes - and make more money.

You bringing home value into this discussion tells me quite a bit about your ultimate motivation.
I already said i showed empathy to friends of mine who were affected, so it is very much the case. I am absolutely predisposed to my own opinion, just like you are to yours and most people are to theirs. That not being obtuse, its called expressing my opinion. You cannot possibly know my motivation so dont pretend you do. You trying to discern that you know is somewhat comical, but hey, as i mentioned prior, you are entitled to your opinion. Home value absolutely has a place at this table as it is a huge factor. If you say it isnt, then you are the one being obtuse.

Old 03-09-2018, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
You did?
Dont cherry pick Phil’s....Mikey in his response to me said i got what i wanted with this redistricting. I wasnt moved this time or last time, so i didnt gain nor lose. I stayed status quo. So this redistricting wasnt anything i was hoping for personally. I dont think you are being totally transparent. I am guessing that you do live in UC. I would go so far and say i think i know what hood you live in
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte