Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2018, 10:00 PM

1 posts, read 991 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Town Feel View Post
As far as WC, there seemed to be many residents who wanted to go back to the MR cluster
Do you actually know anyone who lives in Weddington Chase? Because to me this sounds like what the board members & their cronies tell themselves so they can sleep at night. Here’s a newsflash....I live in Weddington Chase & you could not be more wrong. Everyone is beyond angry. I actually don’t know anyone in my neighborhood that is not fired up mad about this bull$@&/, but you keep making stuff up & telling everyone we wanted this. That helps a lot!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2018, 10:04 PM

451 posts, read 703,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooLogical View Post
They just put prettier bows on their work.
The phrase you and everyone else is looking for is “curb appeal.”

The bond issue got turned into a “curb appeal” project instead of classroom expansion.

“Neighborhood” school realignment became a “curb appeal” project with “curb appeal” consultants, committees and results.

“Curb appeal” realtors now tout great school rankings when marketing cookie cutter houses on 1/4 acre and less lots to naive Yankees looking for a simpler life with lower taxes 25+ miles from the city center and 30+ miles from the hub airport with inadequate road infrastructure. As a finance person, I’d recommend all the “curb appeal” winners to fire up those home equity loans to fund those Disney cruises, European vacations and beach/mountain homes given the increases in property values.

Parkwood, Piedmont, Forest Hills, and Monroe don’t have a lot of “curb appeal” but they are the real heart of the UC.

Congrats to Forest Hills tonight.

I missed the “curb appeal” projects for Forest Hills by the way in the bond project and in the neighborhood project. Can’t wait to see the proclamations or new “curb appeal” projects come their way even when 90% of the county doesn’t even know where they are let alone they are in the county.

Old 03-10-2018, 10:09 PM

2,751 posts, read 5,100,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DakotaNZ View Post
Do you actually know anyone who lives in Weddington Chase? Because to me this sounds like what the board members & their cronies tell themselves so they can sleep at night. Here’s a newsflash....I live in Weddington Chase & you could not be more wrong. Everyone is beyond angry. I actually don’t know anyone in my neighborhood that is not fired up mad about this bull$@&/, but you keep making stuff up & telling everyone we wanted this. That helps a lot!
True, while shocked last time, turned out kids (and parents) love WC more so than MR.

Old 03-11-2018, 12:41 AM

23,809 posts, read 34,419,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineCJ View Post
The phrase you and everyone else is looking for is “curb appeal.”

The bond issue got turned into a “curb appeal” project instead of classroom expansion.

“Neighborhood” school realignment became a “curb appeal” project with “curb appeal” consultants, committees and results.

“Curb appeal” realtors now tout great school rankings when marketing cookie cutter houses on 1/4 acre and less lots to naive Yankees looking for a simpler life with lower taxes 25+ miles from the city center and 30+ miles from the hub airport with inadequate road infrastructure. As a finance person, I’d recommend all the “curb appeal” winners to fire up those home equity loans to fund those Disney cruises, European vacations and beach/mountain homes given the increases in property values.

Parkwood, Piedmont, Forest Hills, and Monroe don’t have a lot of “curb appeal” but they are the real heart of the UC.

Congrats to Forest Hills tonight.

I missed the “curb appeal” projects for Forest Hills by the way in the bond project and in the neighborhood project. Can’t wait to see the proclamations or new “curb appeal” projects come their way even when 90% of the county doesn’t even know where they are let alone they are in the county.
Excellent post. Tell me, if thousands of kids were not being bussed, would there be money to fix some problems for the other schools & maybe add a couple of classrooms to overcrowded schools? l can see shifting a few bodies if schools are overcrowded, but thousands? Just seems wrong.

Old 03-11-2018, 07:48 AM

149 posts, read 162,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Excellent post. Tell me, if thousands of kids were not being bussed, would there be money to fix some problems for the other schools & maybe add a couple of classrooms to overcrowded schools? l can see shifting a few bodies if schools are overcrowded, but thousands? Just seems wrong.
An excellent question, and we do not even have to consider it a hypothetical. The answer is no. We know this because of the outright theft of bond money by the CAPS block of the BOE from Western Union , an older elementary school. The money was given instead to a fairly new High School, Porter Ridge, to improve “student circulation” so it will look more like Marvin Ridge, the “IT” school. So there is your answer.

Old 03-11-2018, 09:13 AM

631 posts, read 881,977 times
I forgot about the bond money theft. This may make the current BOE even worse than the last one. They campaigned for this, swore up and down it was a good thing, got the votes across the county, then pulled funding (capacity) away from the schools they and their friends didn’t want to go to.

This should be a big part of the next election. Heather should rub Gary’s face in it along with his “no questions asked grandfathering” lie. I really hope district 6 puts up a write in to knock out Heintel. There will be a lot of support after what she pulled now that more people are paying attention.

Old 03-11-2018, 10:24 AM

114 posts, read 128,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooLogical View Post
I forgot about the bond money theft. This may make the current BOE even worse than the last one. They campaigned for this, swore up and down it was a good thing, got the votes across the county, then pulled funding (capacity) away from the schools they and their friends didn’t want to go to.

This should be a big part of the next election. Heather should rub Gary’s face in it along with his “no questions asked grandfathering” lie. I really hope district 6 puts up a write in to knock out Heintel. There will be a lot of support after what she pulled now that more people are paying attention.
I doubt anyone steps up and runs a write in campaign in D6. I do wish Ms. Henage all the luck in the world, much like 2014, she has a lot to run on.

Old 03-11-2018, 11:19 AM

6,150 posts, read 9,967,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booger Branch Betty View Post
An excellent question, and we do not even have to consider it a hypothetical. The answer is no. We know this because of the outright theft of bond money by the CAPS block of the BOE from Western Union , an older elementary school. The money was given instead to a fairly new High School, Porter Ridge, to improve “student circulation” so it will look more like Marvin Ridge, the “IT” school. So there is your answer.
This is the ugly truth behind the scenes and a direct correlation to the change from a BOCC who arguably pushed back too hard on the BOE and this BOCC who rubber stamps everything the new BOE wants. There is a happy medium that was completed skipped.

For those wondering about CJ's "curb appeal" commentary, it's taken directly from the BOE presentation to the BOCC to get buy-in on re-allocating our bond money. Instead of being good stewards of our tax money when everyone came to the realization that we don't need extra classrooms, they decided "curb appeal" mattered and invented new ways to spend the money.

I mention this because I still hear and see comments from people who think we will be building new schools... they are completely out of touch with what is happening from an enrollment perspective in the county. oh and less and less kids riding the bus with plans to be closing schools... but ZERO consideration to modifying the bus depot plans and possibly looking at reducing costs there? sigh

Old 03-11-2018, 12:40 PM

22 posts, read 16,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
I mention this because I still hear and see comments from people who think we will be building new schools... they are completely out of touch with what is happening from an enrollment perspective in the county. oh and less and less kids riding the bus with plans to be closing schools...
I for one have found this thread to be extremely informative...

As for the bolded above, please....enlighten me.

TIA

Old 03-11-2018, 04:47 PM

23,809 posts, read 34,419,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
This is the ugly truth behind the scenes and a direct correlation to the change from a BOCC who arguably pushed back too hard on the BOE and this BOCC who rubber stamps everything the new BOE wants. There is a happy medium that was completed skipped.

For those wondering about CJ's "curb appeal" commentary, it's taken directly from the BOE presentation to the BOCC to get buy-in on re-allocating our bond money. Instead of being good stewards of our tax money when everyone came to the realization that we don't need extra classrooms, they decided "curb appeal" mattered and invented new ways to spend the money.

I mention this because I still hear and see comments from people who think we will be building new schools... they are completely out of touch with what is happening from an enrollment perspective in the county. oh and less and less kids riding the bus with plans to be closing schools... but ZERO consideration to modifying the bus depot plans and possibly looking at reducing costs there? sigh
Thanks.

This seems to be bat-sh*t crazy.

I think that part of the problem is a failure to look at recent history.

I'm a Boomer. As we went through the public school systems, school districts around the country were forced to build new schools. Then there's the failure to look back at the original names of the next two generations. Gen X was originally called the Baby Bust & Millennials were originally called The Boomlet. The Baby Bust mirrored the generation immediately prior to the post WWII Baby Boom. The bust/boom cycle will repeat itself, when left alone. While an area builds out it doesn't reflect the cycle, if the cycle is in a bust, resulting in a shorter bust, if there even is one. The next boom should start up in about 2024. Add 5:years to get them to kindergarten, will the school board be shocked & amazed?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte