Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2016, 10:31 AM

3,848 posts, read 7,963,110 times

Advertisements

Okay here's the situation. Living in Fla. Hubby put in apps in Charlotte and New England. Got a call on Fri from NY Life in Manchester, NH. Guy likes him and wants to hire him. Job starts in Feb. We formerly lived in NH.

We were sort of holding out for NC because buying and renting a house is cheaper and my sister is moving there and our kids are close. Taxes are more in the long run there so that's a consideration (income tax, state tax, sales tax etc). We just haven't received a single call back from anyone in NC. Wouldn't be a big deal except we've been looking since July and our lease here in Fla is up in April.

We are coming from an EXTREMELY expensive town in Fla. We would never be able to afford to buy a home here at all. We obviously had buy a lot of house for little in NC and a nice townhouse in NH. I think taxes may even out in both places. One we are paying state, income, sales tax and the other higher prop tax but not the others.

I'm just gonna throw out the numbers here. Hubby made around $62k last year here in Fla as a 911 dispatcher with unlimited OT. His base is around $45k without. He's switching careers to Finance (just got his degree).. NY Life is offering $35k base in NH and the guy said his new hires average around $60k with commission their first year. We can't take that sort of pay. Its too little. He's counter offering this week. He's been at his current job 12 years, that's pay for a college student. We've never had commission based jobs. It scares us badly. He said they're opening more offices in Portsmouth and Nashua in the next year and if hubby does well he could be manager making $100,000k. We can't live on "what-ifs". We also feel like its the first offer he's gotten off of any app since he started looking (in July). I'm a stay at home mom and we home school and due to chronic illness I cannot be relied on for a secondary income on a consistent basis. I sometimes relapse and that can last for 5 + months. I'd have to figure out some sort of secondary income.

Anyone been in a similar situation, lived in NC vs NE or Fl vs NE and have insight? We've always had gov't income which is secure so we're wading into new territory. He's essentially maxed out on income potential at current position. Obviously has potential to make a lot more in finance/insurance sector.

Last edited by Sweetbottoms; 12-11-2016 at 10:54 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2016, 04:01 PM

50 posts, read 39,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
Okay here's the situation. Living in Fla. Hubby put in apps in Charlotte and New England. Got a call on Fri from NY Life in Manchester, NH. Guy likes him and wants to hire him. Job starts in Feb. We formerly lived in NH.

We were sort of holding out for NC because buying and renting a house is cheaper and my sister is moving there and our kids are close. Taxes are more in the long run there so that's a consideration (income tax, state tax, sales tax etc). We just haven't received a single call back from anyone in NC. Wouldn't be a big deal except we've been looking since July and our lease here in Fla is up in April.

We are coming from an EXTREMELY expensive town in Fla. We would never be able to afford to buy a home here at all. We obviously had buy a lot of house for little in NC and a nice townhouse in NH. I think taxes may even out in both places. One we are paying state, income, sales tax and the other higher prop tax but not the others.

I'm just gonna throw out the numbers here. Hubby made around $62k last year here in Fla as a 911 dispatcher with unlimited OT. His base is around $45k without. He's switching careers to Finance (just got his degree).. NY Life is offering $35k base in NH and the guy said his new hires average around $60k with commission their first year. We can't take that sort of pay. Its too little. He's counter offering this week. He's been at his current job 12 years, that's pay for a college student. We've never had commission based jobs. It scares us badly. He said they're opening more offices in Portsmouth and Nashua in the next year and if hubby does well he could be manager making $100,000k. We can't live on "what-ifs". We also feel like its the first offer he's gotten off of any app since he started looking (in July). I'm a stay at home mom and we home school and due to chronic illness I cannot be relied on for a secondary income on a consistent basis. I sometimes relapse and that can last for 5 + months. I'd have to figure out some sort of secondary income.

Anyone been in a similar situation, lived in NC vs NE or Fl vs NE and have insight? We've always had gov't income which is secure so we're wading into new territory. He's essentially maxed out on income potential at current position. Obviously has potential to make a lot more in finance/insurance sector.

HOLD OFF !!!!! If you're looking for overall quality of life you will be working your asses off in the New England area and still may not have what you want . I'm from the area and still have lots of family and friends there , it seems they're making TONS of money yet they're always a step behind . Example . My sister and brother inlaw have a $750K , he makes $97 an hour and ( she made about $70K a year ) she had to stop working a year ago because of a tumor . The common guy here in Charlotte that hears that thinks they have it made because making $97 an hour which sounds insane to someone making $20 . You need to look at things and apply reality to your thoughts . In my sisters case here is their breakdown as I know it . Taxes are $18,000 a year on their property ( they have extremely great public schools in her town ) , car insurance since they have both their kids at home still is about $6,500 and thats because they both have PERFECT driving records with zero accidents in over 20 years . Monthly heating and cooling is about $500 a month , water is free because they have a well but they pay some other fee which I cannot recall . Neither would drive to work so transportation was about $300 a week for both depending on a few things it could be less or more . Home insurance is about $3000 a year for them and their house payment is $3,800 a month . Without counting food and now medical expenses they need about $55,000 a year just to say I live here; also remember that income tax if you make north of $100K will KILL you up there . What I'm trying to show you is that up there once something goes wrong it can all go to **** extremely fast because of the cost of living . Both my sister and husband were both very healthy and one day she went in with a bad headache and came out with a new way of life . I myself have been offered to go back up that way to run jobsites but no amount of money can get me to go back to a place I need to work my ass off just to stay alive . To many thats a way of life they love , I rather have things that are paid for instead of having to worry what bill I'm getting next . If your husband is lets say being offered $100K to work up that way but will make $70 here , I say wait BUT be sure the market here is strong for what he does .

Old 12-12-2016, 07:50 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,806,429 times
A base salary (typically not large) plus commissions is typical for finance positions. Especially at entry level. You'll probably find the same with any offers he gets in Charlotte.

Old 12-17-2016, 03:03 PM

127 posts, read 102,248 times
As someone who is dying to get out of NH, TO Charlotte (again), my personal vote would obviously be NC. While I have a great job up here, most people don't. Heating bills and cost if living are steep. Manchester is a grubby ol' place, and for its size, does not stand behind its big brethren Boston, NYC, Philly, and DC what crime is concerned. Jobs are hard to come by, and are paid much lower than from Boston on southward. And winters, let's talk about winters, as in cold and dark from November to April, with snow on the ground most of the time. The windchill at our beloved Mt. Washington was -87 degrees F last night. It's extreme, but life up here IS extreme. Summers are short. If that kind of climate suits you, go for it.

On the bright side, you are kind of close to Boston. There is lots to do during a NH summer and fall. You can be outdoors a lot without the overwhelming heat and humidity, although we can get up to the 90s up here as well. Most homes don't have central air. Most newer apartments, OTOH, do. And don't get blinded by the tax-free status of NH: you'll pay it in other ways, such as annual car taxes, steep property taxes (if you decide to buy), high grocery bills, and very vigilant police officers patrolling the roads for revenue. Shopping is interesting (at first), but limited.

Perhaps you should travel up here this week, to get a feel for the temps.

One more thing: the culture up here is such that people would tell you just about anything if they can in some form profit from you, or something you have that is of value to them. It comes with the territory of low pay, high cost of living, reluctance of flatlanders wanting to move to the area (so recruiting will work hard to get them up here), and just a certain coldness in people that is in synch with the climate they live in.

Portsmouth is quite nice, but insanely expensive. Given a choice, it would be my preference for NH.

Last edited by Doppelkeks; 12-17-2016 at 03:11 PM..

Old 12-17-2016, 03:40 PM

515 posts, read 1,037,079 times
There is nothing all that magical about NC or Charlotte, why not go where the work is, and where the cost of living index is low. The weather in most of SC and TN is very similar to Charlotte...Charlotte has become relatively expensive compared to what it was just a few years ago, that trend will continue. I'd suggest expanding you search location...

Old 12-18-2016, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppelkeks View Post
As someone who is dying to get out of NH, TO Charlotte (again), my personal vote would obviously be NC. While I have a great job up here, most people don't. Heating bills and cost if living are steep. Manchester is a grubby ol' place, and for its size, does not stand behind its big brethren Boston, NYC, Philly, and DC what crime is concerned. Jobs are hard to come by, and are paid much lower than from Boston on southward. And winters, let's talk about winters, as in cold and dark from November to April, with snow on the ground most of the time. The windchill at our beloved Mt. Washington was -87 degrees F last night. It's extreme, but life up here IS extreme. Summers are short. If that kind of climate suits you, go for it.

On the bright side, you are kind of close to Boston. There is lots to do during a NH summer and fall. You can be outdoors a lot without the overwhelming heat and humidity, although we can get up to the 90s up here as well. Most homes don't have central air. Most newer apartments, OTOH, do. And don't get blinded by the tax-free status of NH: you'll pay it in other ways, such as annual car taxes, steep property taxes (if you decide to buy), high grocery bills, and very vigilant police officers patrolling the roads for revenue. Shopping is interesting (at first), but limited.

Perhaps you should travel up here this week, to get a feel for the temps.

One more thing: the culture up here is such that people would tell you just about anything if they can in some form profit from you, or something you have that is of value to them. It comes with the territory of low pay, high cost of living, reluctance of flatlanders wanting to move to the area (so recruiting will work hard to get them up here), and just a certain coldness in people that is in synch with the climate they live in.

Portsmouth is quite nice, but insanely expensive. Given a choice, it would be my preference for NH.
I remember NH winters out in Keene, brutal. My husband has received two more job offers from the Charlotte area so we have more of a choice. We have decided to skip NH. Between excessive heating and cooling costs and extreme weather swings I just don't want to experience it again. I know about the load of crock that is the "no sales tax" scam of that state. Save a whole .06 on a $1. Then paying $10,000 a year for property tax. Thanks I'd rather the sales tax. I know I'm not spending that much a year on items bought .

Old 12-18-2016, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyboy View Post
There is nothing all that magical about NC or Charlotte, why not go where the work is, and where the cost of living index is low. The weather in most of SC and TN is very similar to Charlotte...Charlotte has become relatively expensive compared to what it was just a few years ago, that trend will continue. I'd suggest expanding you search location...
Charlotte area is so cheap compared to where we are coming from. I have no hope of even being able to afford even a condo where I'm at currently let alone a house. . Starter complete tear down homes are starting around $375,000. I can buy a nice home there for $200,000. I guess it's all relative to where you are coming from

Old 12-18-2016, 10:56 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,628,813 times
All things being equal, the NC weather would seal the deal for me. 71 degrees today.

Old 12-18-2016, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
All things being equal, the NC weather would seal the deal for me. 71 degrees today.
97 heat index today where I am with 70% humidity. No end in site. Will be near or above 90's through New Years. Near misery. Weather is a leading factor for us.

Old 12-18-2016, 05:36 PM
NDL

4,518 posts, read 5,651,579 times
I'd be reluctant to change fields.

Moreover, I didn't leave the NYC metro area for better weather - that wasn't one of the motivations that led me away from NY - but after living here for 5 years, I couldn't imagine going back to a New York winter/summer.

And the winters in NH are worse than they were in NY.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte