Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2008, 04:10 PM

182 posts, read 554,010 times

Advertisements

In my quest to find an area in Char-Meck, I visited several areas. I spent a little time driving through Ballantyne. This area seems to be very upscale, which is why I wonder if a lot of children live in the area. Ballantyne kind of remind my of the Ft. Lauderdale Beach area minus the beach. I saw lot of young couples as well as older people in the area. Does this leave room for the 30-40 year old with kids?

My husband [who works in the entertainment field] really like this area for possible oppertunities, as well as Northeast Charlotte [the area where 485 ends].

Can someon give me any feed back on the area as far as my children adapting there. I have a 15 yr & 11 yr daughter, and a 4 yr old son. I am not worrying to much about the little one right now, but my girls I need to enjoy their new environment.
Also can someone tell me the apprx. commute time to downtown. Looking at the map downtown do not seem to far.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2008, 04:50 PM

17 posts, read 67,919 times
Ballantyne has tons of kids. If you want younger kids you might do better to look at some of the "less upscale" neighborhoods in Ballantyne. They are there. Or look around Blakeney which is still more or less Ballantyne.

Old 03-24-2008, 07:25 PM

1,453 posts, read 5,147,658 times
You'll love Ballantyne and so will your children. There' s a great YMCA on Community House Road, an ice skating rink in Pineville, go carts and mini golf, malls, movies, parks. I live in Ballantyne and have been selling real estate here for over four years. I've yet to have a client complain about the area.

Old 03-24-2008, 08:14 PM

182 posts, read 554,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgmcshane View Post
Ballantyne has tons of kids. If you want younger kids you might do better to look at some of the "less upscale" neighborhoods in Ballantyne. They are there. Or look around Blakeney which is still more or less Ballantyne.
Blakeney?! I never heard of it, is it a within the Ballantyne area? I will have to google that, thanks.

Old 03-24-2008, 08:35 PM

797 posts, read 3,294,457 times
Blakeney is a large shopping area within the ballantyne area. It has lots of stores/restaurants. Yes ballantyne is def. all about kids. Within less than a mile of where I live in ballantyne, 2 new elementary schools are going up.

Old 03-25-2008, 08:02 PM

15 posts, read 42,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by businessperson View Post
You'll love Ballantyne and so will your children. There' s a great YMCA on Community House Road, an ice skating rink in Pineville, go carts and mini golf, malls, movies, parks. I live in Ballantyne and have been selling real estate here for over four years. I've yet to have a client complain about the area.
Hello Businessperson:

My husband and I were in NC this past weekend with our children. We came to check out the Chapel Hill area, which is where we were reasonably certain that we wanted to move. Every website, person, and chart we've consulted suggests that Chapel Hill's school district is #1 in the state. But then we drove to Charlotte, on a whim, to visit with family and we were floored. It seems, on the surface, too good to be true. We were told by more than one person to "definately check out Ballantyne." Our children are 11 and 7. I'm an ICU/Trauma nurse, he's in transit ... we don't anticipate jobs being a problem. We're comfortable with the housing prices that we've seen for 4-5 BR....no problem.

My question is: what about the schools? Where can I go to get data on the Ballantyne school district? Also, what are the rates of redistricting? I know that Wake County (Raleigh/Durham/Cary) is having a major problem with reassignment due to the large amount of growth. We brought back every newspaper, book, and real estate guide we could find but as I've said - schools are the selling point for us right now.

Thank you so much!

Old 03-25-2008, 09:07 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,676,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zorabee View Post
Hello Businessperson:

My husband and I were in NC this past weekend with our children. We came to check out the Chapel Hill area, which is where we were reasonably certain that we wanted to move. Every website, person, and chart we've consulted suggests that Chapel Hill's school district is #1 in the state. But then we drove to Charlotte, on a whim, to visit with family and we were floored. It seems, on the surface, too good to be true. We were told by more than one person to "definately check out Ballantyne." Our children are 11 and 7. I'm an ICU/Trauma nurse, he's in transit ... we don't anticipate jobs being a problem. We're comfortable with the housing prices that we've seen for 4-5 BR....no problem.

My question is: what about the schools? Where can I go to get data on the Ballantyne school district? Also, what are the rates of redistricting? I know that Wake County (Raleigh/Durham/Cary) is having a major problem with reassignment due to the large amount of growth. We brought back every newspaper, book, and real estate guide we could find but as I've said - schools are the selling point for us right now.

Thank you so much!

As good as Wake County schools are, I'd avoid them like the plague unless you don't mind your children being bused.

In Charlotte we have neighborhood schools, no busing (expect to transport children to their neighborhood school). Additionally, I'd put the south Charlotte schools up against Wake County in a heartbeat. A couple in the south Charlotte area are actually tops in the state themselves

Old 03-26-2008, 10:19 PM

15 posts, read 42,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
As good as Wake County schools are, I'd avoid them like the plague unless you don't mind your children being bused.

In Charlotte we have neighborhood schools, no busing (expect to transport children to their neighborhood school). Additionally, I'd put the south Charlotte schools up against Wake County in a heartbeat. A couple in the south Charlotte area are actually tops in the state themselves
LovesMountains:

I hear you. Which is why we were looking in Chapel Hill/Carrboro and the Orange County district. Neighborhood schools?? Unbelievable. Sounds like a dream come true. That's almost unheard of where we live now.

Thank you !

Old 03-27-2008, 05:15 AM

45 posts, read 154,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondGirl View Post
In my quest to find an area in Char-Meck, I visited several areas. I spent a little time driving through Ballantyne. This area seems to be very upscale, which is why I wonder if a lot of children live in the area. Ballantyne kind of remind my of the Ft. Lauderdale Beach area minus the beach. I saw lot of young couples as well as older people in the area. Does this leave room for the 30-40 year old with kids?

My husband [who works in the entertainment field] really like this area for possible oppertunities, as well as Northeast Charlotte [the area where 485 ends].

Can someon give me any feed back on the area as far as my children adapting there. I have a 15 yr & 11 yr daughter, and a 4 yr old son. I am not worrying to much about the little one right now, but my girls I need to enjoy their new environment.
Also can someone tell me the apprx. commute time to downtown. Looking at the map downtown do not seem to far.
Ballantyne is perfect for families. It's the very best place to live in Charlotte (IMO).
Also check out Blakeney (new area about 4 miles away) - it's a smaller version of Ballantyne and loaded with children. Both areas are very family friendly, and upscale.
Commute to uptown depends on the route you take, also the time of day. I go uptown every day and have no problems at all - the light rail has made commuting to uptown a cakewalk. I drive to the south blvd. train station and take the train.
Good luck!

Old 03-27-2008, 12:04 PM

1,453 posts, read 5,147,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zorabee View Post
Hello Businessperson:

Thank you so much!
I'll send you a direct message with links to access info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte