U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-14-2016, 07:56 AM
 
8 posts, read 4,592 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

Hi, I'll be in USA in a month's time. I'll be bringing my kid along (4 years old going to be 5 yrs old by 28 Aug 2017).

From online sources, he will be eligible to enrol into kindergarten. But after a few phone calls, seems like most elementary schools are full, and my kid can only apply for 2017-2018 term.

Any public schools (average to good) recommended that is not fussy taking in students?

And I am still not sure how the zoning system works in NC.
I need to be in the same county for my kid to go to school (same county) ?
There's like CMS Schools and UCPS.

Lets say I'm gonna stay in Ballantyne, my kids is eligible to enrol for Ballantyne elementary?
Or does it mean, I am inside the CMS boundary, so i can enrol in any CMS elementary?

And what are the essentials i need to prepare from my home country?
Immunisation report <-- endorsed by my local paediatrician (is that ok? or it has to be from a USA paediatrician?)
Health assessment <-- has to be done in the USA right? (thats what the CMS lady told me)

Thanks all, I would wanna prepare as much before i get to USA next month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-14-2016, 09:36 AM
 
3,411 posts, read 3,197,294 times
Reputation: 3848
Enrolling Your Student

CMS does it by where you live. You need to buy or rent and depending on where you do that it will dictate which elementary school you will enroll your child. If you live within the designated boundaries for Ballantyne elementary then that's where your child will attend.


Student Assignment Boundary Maps
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-14-2016, 09:55 AM
 
8 posts, read 4,592 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley09swb View Post
Enrolling Your Student

CMS does it by where you live. You need to buy or rent and depending on where you do that it will dictate which elementary school you will enroll your child. If you live within the designated boundaries for Ballantyne elementary then that's where your child will attend.


Student Assignment Boundary Maps
that means I have to choose wisely where I would want to set my foot on when i reach Charlotte. So far Ballantyne seems like a good choice in terms of residential area, distance to UNCC and good kindergarten.

thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-14-2016, 09:58 AM
 
2,156 posts, read 2,354,698 times
Reputation: 3103
Rather than rely on information from a third party website (even if City-data forumites are correct most times), why don't you call or email CMS or UCPS and obtain the latest correct information about enrollment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-14-2016, 09:59 AM
 
3,411 posts, read 3,197,294 times
Reputation: 3848
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasontyh View Post
that means I have to choose wisely where I would want to set my foot on when i reach Charlotte. So far Ballantyne seems like a good choice in terms of residential area, distance to UNCC and good kindergarten.

thanks
It's going to be a bit of a drive from Ballantyne to UNCC everyday. That's a long commute. I would look at Harrisburg (Harrisburg elementary) or the Highland Creek area (Cox Mill elementary).

ETA: When you said your budget was $7-900 was that hundred or thousand?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-14-2016, 10:02 AM
 
3,411 posts, read 3,197,294 times
Reputation: 3848
Quote:
Originally Posted by getatag View Post
Rather than rely on information from a third party website (even if City-data forumites are correct most times), why don't you call or email CMS or UCPS and obtain the latest correct information about enrollment.

It's on the CMS website which I attached the links.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-14-2016, 10:07 AM
 
8 posts, read 4,592 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by getatag View Post
Rather than rely on information from a third party website (even if City-data forumites are correct most times), why don't you call or email CMS or UCPS and obtain the latest correct information about enrollment.
Yes that is the case but the problem is getting to them. haven't been able to talk to a person after a few calls. Will continue burning thru midnight oil here +8 GMT
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-14-2016, 10:08 AM
 
8 posts, read 4,592 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley09swb View Post
It's going to be a bit of a drive from Ballantyne to UNCC everyday. That's a long commute. I would look at Harrisburg (Harrisburg elementary) or the Highland Creek area (Cox Mill elementary).

ETA: When you said your budget was $7-900 was that hundred or thousand?
at first it was hundred. after some info sourcing, i'd say $1-1.3k will be more reasonable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-14-2016, 10:19 AM
 
3,411 posts, read 3,197,294 times
Reputation: 3848
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasontyh View Post
at first it was hundred. after some info sourcing, i'd say $1-1.3k will be more reasonable.
You need to look in the Harrisburg or Highland Creek areas. They have some really good schools. I'm not sure you will be able to find a place in Ballantyne with that budget and the commute doesn't make sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-16-2016, 08:41 AM
 
376 posts, read 223,932 times
Reputation: 342
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasontyh View Post
Yes that is the case but the problem is getting to them. haven't been able to talk to a person after a few calls. Will continue burning thru midnight oil here +8 GMT
@jasontyh At UNCC, they must have International Student advisors who can and should be able to help if asked. Indirectly, you're paying a small % of their salaries and your existence partially justifies their employment, so ask questions and push for related assistance and insights.

I can't help with your school queries, but may be able to help with more general topics related to moving from East Asia (+8 GMT). HK, SG, MY, CN, other? Click on my member name, and shoot me a private message. Good luck obtaining answers to your questions and with your move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top