U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2016, 01:17 PM

653 posts, read 512,915 times

Advertisements

We're having friends visit us over winter break for 3 days (12/29-1/1) from Philadelphia and they have two young children (7/10) and a German high school exchange student. They'd like to try and do something "cultural" for the exchange student, but it can't be boring for the younger kids.

Assuming the weather holds, I came up with the Whitewater center zip lines for one day, but am looking for ideas for another 1-2 days. If we had more time, Dixie Stampede over in Pigeon Forge would be as non-German/non-Philadelphian cultural as you can get, but that's more than a day trip, especially in winter.

One thought was NASCAR Hall of Fame (~3 hours) + Wells Fargo History Museum (~30 minutes). Also going to try to get to the Speedway Christmas lights. But I'm open to all other ideas that people on this forum have.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2016, 01:27 PM

6,800 posts, read 4,349,645 times
The Belk Bowl is on the 29th at 5:30. If the kids are sports fans they might enjoy it, and the german exchange student might like "American football".

The Hornets are in town on the 29th and 31st.

First Night on NYE: http://www.charlottecentercity.org/e...ght-charlotte/

Maybe combine NASCAR HOF with the Bechtler and a walk around Uptown?

In general, its tough to find things that appeal to a 7 year old and a high schooler.

Last edited by BC1960; 12-14-2016 at 01:36 PM..

Old 12-14-2016, 02:08 PM

3,409 posts, read 3,191,119 times
You could do a tour of Charlotte Motor Speedway.

https://www.charlottemotorspeedway.com/fans/tracktours/

If the younger kids are Nascar fans I would say the museum but if not don't know how long the attention span will be with that.

There's Defy Gravity a trampoline place. Not sure how "cultural" it is but if you need something to do there's always that. You could always go to Chimney Rock and go hiking.

Old 12-14-2016, 05:49 PM

3,774 posts, read 6,985,648 times
There is a lot of German heritage here in Mecklenburg County!

Maybe you could swing through here...
https://www.charlotteagenda.com/6627...oliday-season/

Old 12-14-2016, 06:58 PM

3,409 posts, read 3,191,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post

This was incredibly disappointing and very small. It's also not someplace I would take a 7 year old and 10 year old again. Did that at Thanksgiving and couldn't get out fast enough. If it's Incorporated into going to it before the Belk Bowl then that would be okay but wouldn't plan around it.

Old 12-14-2016, 09:00 PM

1,764 posts, read 2,736,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley09swb View Post
This was incredibly disappointing and very small. It's also not someplace I would take a 7 year old and 10 year old again. Did that at Thanksgiving and couldn't get out fast enough. If it's Incorporated into going to it before the Belk Bowl then that would be okay but wouldn't plan around it.
I agree - that Christmas market is incredibly lame. They were even supposed to have wooden huts like in Germany, but the city said they were a fire hazard, so now they have ugly tents. There are very few venders.

Old 12-15-2016, 06:31 AM

149 posts, read 147,070 times
I wouldn't get to hung up on the "cultural" piece; you'll end up boring everyone. I like the sporting event ideas and the whitewater center. I would pick Daniel Stowe lights over the Speedway. Hike Crowders Mountain and then go eat BBQ.

Old 12-15-2016, 09:13 AM

501 posts, read 338,940 times
They like soccer. they (European kids) don't care for basketball or baseball generally. Take them to Discovery Place which all kids love or even the Whitewater rafting center. I'm afraid that Charlotte doesn't compete with Philly on the cultural thing so "fun" should be the key word. If able, drive to McAdenville or the Charlotte Motor Speedway for the Christmas light exhibition. You might even kill some time by going to the aquarium and show them the speedway. They can even take a ride around the track for a nominal fee. Again if in the time frame, take them to a Christmas play or show. Oh yea, the aviation museum near the airport is a possibility too. Good luck. If all else fails, make them read a damn book, lol.

Old 12-15-2016, 09:57 AM

21,848 posts, read 27,108,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UDcc123 View Post
We're having friends visit us over winter break for 3 days (12/29-1/1) from Philadelphia and they have two young children (7/10) and a German high school exchange student. They'd like to try and do something "cultural" for the exchange student, but it can't be boring for the younger kids.

Assuming the weather holds, I came up with the Whitewater center zip lines for one day, but am looking for ideas for another 1-2 days. If we had more time, Dixie Stampede over in Pigeon Forge would be as non-German/non-Philadelphian cultural as you can get, but that's more than a day trip, especially in winter.

One thought was NASCAR Hall of Fame (~3 hours) + Wells Fargo History Museum (~30 minutes). Also going to try to get to the Speedway Christmas lights. But I'm open to all other ideas that people on this forum have.

Thanks!
I'm very familiar with what's available in & near Philadelphia.

Daniel Stowe Botanical Garden would be similar to Longwood Gardens.

The light show at the old Wanamaker building is indoors. Take them to Kings Mountain, where an entire block of downtown is lit up. The show runs about 30 minutes, then cycles.

Take them to Cherryville on New Years Day. The Cherryville Shooters come from the same traditions as Philadelphia's Mummers Parade.

Old 12-15-2016, 11:41 AM

21,848 posts, read 27,108,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post

There's a Christmas market with wooden huts in Center City Philadelphia. If this one had the wooden huts it would be a very good suggestion, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or