U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2016, 07:44 AM

5 posts, read 3,034 times

Advertisements

My husband has just accepted a position in North Carolina (we currently live overseas). We are house-hunting in the Cornelius / Huntersville / Davidson area. My daughter (4) is currently attending an all-girls private Catholic school here in England (that we love and are very sad to leave). I'm looking for a similar school - not necessarily all girls or catholic, but one that has small classes, good academics and athletics, a nurturing environment, and a welcoming atmosphere. I think I would prefer not to commute to Charlotte to take her to school, which I'm sure limits my options.

I will be doing school visits in January, but I'm only in town for 24 hours, so I need to limit them this trip in. So far, I like the look of Davidson Day School and St Marks. Can anyone provide any information on these 2? Are there others I should consider? I know that it's always best to visit and get a feel for the surroundings, but I'm hoping that I can get a bit of inside information to help me along in this process.

I would really appreciate any advice that you have. I'm already about 10000x over my stress level limit trying to figure out a move back to the USA (I'm American but have been here for a LONG time).

Many thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2016, 08:03 AM

3,410 posts, read 3,196,136 times
You can also look at the Cannon School as another option.

I know someone that sent both of their kids to preschool at St. Marks and was very happy. Her youngest is now in Kindergarten (this year) at our local public school (it's a great one). My old neighbor also sent her kids to their preschool and he did Kindergarten there before they moved away. There's also another lady that lives in our neighborhood that sends her daughter to St. Marks for school. I think she's in 2nd grade now. I don't have inside information though.

Old 12-17-2016, 03:25 PM

27 posts, read 14,338 times
St. Marks and DD are both great choices if living in the Huntersville/Corneilus/Davidson corridor. I think Cannon is further away, and with the traffic, the bus rides are longer. But you may wish to get a Cannon parent on for verification. I know I see the Cannon bus in our Huntersville neighborhood early in the morning. Several children in our neighborhood walk to school at St. Marks. Depending on traffic, DD and St Marks are aprox 15 min. from each other.

Old 12-17-2016, 07:53 PM

Default But think before you move here

Original Poster: Having shared some thoughts with you on private schools, I would like to quickly share some other thoughts.

It's a good thing that you are looking at private schools in that the public schools (American definition) here are not that good. This is due in large part to the fact that the state Legislature has never made broad-based education a top priority. Someone who has lived here longer than I will have to fill you in on what went on before 2010 when I arrived, but things have only gone downhill here since the Tea Party took over state government.

But the Tea Party takeover is actually the symptom of the problem. When I moved here from Minnesota, I was assured that NC had shed it's Southern racist past and was a part of the progressive "New South". Obama actually carried this state in the 2008 election. But that optimism proved short lived.

After that, the quiet racism and anti-intellectualism that, for me, has come to define North Carolina took over and things have gotten progressively worse. Turns out that it affects almost every aspect of daily life. Sure, there are small parts of the city where you don't feel it as much, but that's all these spaces are; bubbles.

Your post doesn't say if you're an American returning home or a European expat, but if you're European its doubtful that you have experienced anything like the American South. Also remember that the NC natives don't want you here. Just another smug transplant who, in the words of our outgoing Governor, "Doesn't share our North Carolina values". And if you are not working, the days of locals telling you to "Bless Your Heart", with all the smiling passive-aggression they can muster, can get very long.

Ask yourself and others the hard question of why a place seemingly as prosperous as NC has poorly funded public schools, and when you find the true answer then you'll know what I am saying.

As someone who has relocated here for work, my advice (ESPECIALLY since you have school-age children) is to see if the job can be done from a more suitable location. Don't move here if you can avoid it.

The weather here is great and Metro Charlotte looks all shiny from the outside, but that's nowhere near the whole story. Do your background research/homework.

And best of luck to you and your family.

Old 12-18-2016, 02:22 AM

487 posts, read 656,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leavin' Carolina View Post
Original Poster: Having shared some thoughts with you on private schools, I would like to quickly share some other thoughts.

It's a good thing that you are looking at private schools in that the public schools (American definition) here are not that good. This is due in large part to the fact that the state Legislature has never made broad-based education a top priority. Someone who has lived here longer than I will have to fill you in on what went on before 2010 when I arrived, but things have only gone downhill here since the Tea Party took over state government.

But the Tea Party takeover is actually the symptom of the problem. When I moved here from Minnesota, I was assured that NC had shed it's Southern racist past and was a part of the progressive "New South". Obama actually carried this state in the 2008 election. But that optimism proved short lived.

After that, the quiet racism and anti-intellectualism that, for me, has come to define North Carolina took over and things have gotten progressively worse. Turns out that it affects almost every aspect of daily life. Sure, there are small parts of the city where you don't feel it as much, but that's all these spaces are; bubbles.

Your post doesn't say if you're an American returning home or a European expat, but if you're European its doubtful that you have experienced anything like the American South. Also remember that the NC natives don't want you here. Just another smug transplant who, in the words of our outgoing Governor, "Doesn't share our North Carolina values". And if you are not working, the days of locals telling you to "Bless Your Heart", with all the smiling passive-aggression they can muster, can get very long.

Ask yourself and others the hard question of why a place seemingly as prosperous as NC has poorly funded public schools, and when you find the true answer then you'll know what I am saying.

As someone who has relocated here for work, my advice (ESPECIALLY since you have school-age children) is to see if the job can be done from a more suitable location. Don't move here if you can avoid it.

The weather here is great and Metro Charlotte looks all shiny from the outside, but that's nowhere near the whole story. Do your background research/homework.

And best of luck to you and your family.
Seriously. You are really ridiculous and NOT answering question.

Now to answer the question...St Marks, Davidson Day and Canon are all great schools. I live in Davidson and see the Canon bus in the area during the school year so they do have kids in the area. You will not be disappointed in any of these schools.

You will love the area you are looking in to.

Old 12-18-2016, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slakkie View Post
Seriously. You are really ridiculous and NOT answering question.

Now to answer the question...St Marks, Davidson Day and Canon are all great schools. I live in Davidson and see the Canon bus in the area during the school year so they do have kids in the area. You will not be disappointed in any of these schools.

You will love the area you are looking in to.
I guess you failed to see my earlier post where I said essentially the same thing you did regarding the schools (please see post immediately prior to the one you quoted).

As for loving this place, that is an opinion formed through your lens. Someone who is open-minded, tolerant of the differences in others, neither bigoted nor racist and believes in education and critical thought (and has been living in an area where those traits are at least tolerated, if not valued) is going to find the Lake Norman Area a retrograde shock.

Old 12-18-2016, 10:20 AM

23 posts, read 48,782 times
I've been quite happy living in the Huntersville area for five years.
You may want to consider Woodlawn School and Davidson Green School as well as Davidson Day, Cannon and St. Marks. The commute from Huntersville to Cannon is not bad. If you are into Montessori there is a small school in Huntersville called Phoenix. The director and founder, India, is very caring and kind. It could provide a gentle landing while you get oriented towards other prospective schools. Although you are not considering public, I thought I'd mention that Huntersville Elementary and Davidson Elementary have strong reputations, especially the latter.
Lastly, I wonder if you can apply for Community School of Davidson and Corvian Community School having not moved here yet. These are two charter schools that share the same philosophy; focus on the arts/creativity, community outreach and parental involvement. The schools are terrific and the lottery application time is just around the corner. Check out their websites. Good luck.

Last edited by alagal; 12-18-2016 at 10:47 AM.. Reason: add info

Old 02-19-2017, 10:55 AM

83 posts, read 242,343 times
Both our children attended small Catholic prep schools in CT. We also were looking at small Catholic schools in this area. Firstly - it won't happen because of the lack of a) small schools and b) Catholic schools in NC. St Mark's is a very large school for the grades. Whilst it does have a good reputation, I also heard very poor things about it and was not impressed. We literally had to forget the Catholic angle. Our children are really academic - one son is arty, the other is sporty and we needed an all-round school with excellent results but the nurturing, close family atmosphere we had before. We settled on Woodlawn (which is on the Davidson/Mooresville boundary) and it was the best choice we could have ever made. Without doubt the academics are top notch, the atmosphere is warm and friendly, the faculty is devoted to the students - all faculty is available throughout the week for extra study - there is a multitude of enrichment activities, great outreach, service opportunities, etc. Families are kept informed and communication is superb, plenty of volunteering opportunities and, despite being totally new, we had many offers of help during a recent family emergency. Amazing national and international travel/exchange opportunities. Please don't hesitate to PM me if you want any more info. Happy to chat.

Old 02-19-2017, 10:58 AM

83 posts, read 242,343 times
Forgot to mention - we are also an international family (spent many years' abroad but are English/Irish) so have gone through probably all you have. Happy to chat through the area and NC 'idiosyncracies' with you also. Good luck in the search!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or