Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2016, 02:18 PM

110 posts, read 157,748 times

Advertisements

I assume this is the relevant article in PM: Couple robbed, shot in Plaza Midwood; 3 arrested after chase, crash | WSOC-TV
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2016, 03:57 PM

1,055 posts, read 2,126,398 times
Back in 1989-91 I was the manager of the Eckerd Drug (now a Family Dollar) near where the shooting took place. During my tenure there, our pharmacy was robbed 3 times, I had drunks passed out on the walkway by the front door and shoplifting was the national pastime. We had armed guards pick up our deposit each day (unlike the other Eckerd's) because it was too dangerous to take the money ourselves. Of course, that was then. The crime in P-M has dropped significantly over the succeeding decades no question. All urban areas experience an uptick in crime at one time or another. Then it will die down for a while once the police presence it up. Then it will spike again unfortunately. I don't foresee it ever getting so bad that it's out of control. P-M has come too far to let the thugs take it down.

Old 12-19-2016, 05:44 PM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDL View Post
The idea i'm thinking has to do with the superiority of CLT's libraries over their suburban counterparts.

I have visited Fort Mill's library; Lake Wylie's library, and Rock Hill's library. None can hold a candle to what Charlotte offers, in terms of sheer resources.
Because I live in Kings Mountain, which is in both Gaston & Cleveland counties, I have free cards for Kings Mountain & Gaston County. They are in different groups for borrowing & requesting research materials. If I remember correctly, I think that Gaston is grouped with Mecklenburg. Then there are the activities. . .Libraries are no longer quiet places to just read or borrow books. Movies, concerts, lectures, etc. . . Gastonia has an annual genealogy fair, too. Kings Mountain has free classes. I'm assuming that Mecklenburg has other offerings, too. I just never go to places in Charlotte that would be promoting the libraries.

Last edited by southbound_295; 12-19-2016 at 05:56 PM..

Old 12-19-2016, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
I live close to a library and it's very busy. It's close to a HS so that helps but they do a good job promoting themselves. The community also has to do it's part as well.
Thanks, I just wondered if they're being sufficiently promoted. They're good community resources from story hour for kids to adult activities.

Old 12-19-2016, 05:54 PM

15,355 posts, read 12,638,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lassielad View Post
Are saying that your tolerance for crime is much higher than others and those that believe that crime does exist are "doom and gloomers?" I have never read where anyone on this board was leaving the city because of the crime. Where did that come from? Charlotte's crime is a bit lower than most cities of comparable size but depending is a huge factor in regards of safe areas, etc. But overall it is a very good city but has bad parts. Plaza Midwood isn't bad but our opinions are relative based on what we want out of life.
No, I said as much in my last sentence. I'm not shrugging off crime but I won't be fooled into thinking PM is "Escape From NY" levels due to a few bad crimes.

It's unfortunate what happened to the waitress but every weekend thousands of people walk the streets of Plaza Midwood without incident.

Old 12-19-2016, 06:42 PM
NDL NDL started this thread

4,516 posts, read 5,642,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Because I live in Kings Mountain, which is in both Gaston & Cleveland counties, I have free cards for Kings Mountain & Gaston County.
You are very fortunate (two counties instead of one). I have always appreciated the services libraries provide. And I think CLT's library system is something to be proud of, and to brag on.

Old 12-19-2016, 07:06 PM
NDL NDL started this thread

4,516 posts, read 5,642,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swampfoxer View Post
The crime in P-M has dropped significantly over the succeeding decades no question. All urban areas experience an uptick in crime at one time or another. Then it will die down for a while once the police presence it up. Then it will spike again unfortunately. I don't foresee it ever getting so bad that it's out of control. P-M has come too far to let the thugs take it down.
I appreciate you sharing your experience, and hope you're right.

I don't spend a lot of time watching TV, thus I might miss a lot of what's "put out there" - but to my knowledge I don't know that the City is making a very conspicuous, and deliberate, effort, to thwart negative perceptions about areas where the City needs improvement.

In other words, the City does a lot to promote the areas in which it thrives, be it diversity; (the low) cost of doing business in CLT, etc. I don't know that the City spends an equal amount of time in citing the strengths it has in: the abundance of new technology/crime fighting equipment that CMPD has added in the past 5 years; that CMPD is working with neighborhood organizations to reduce crime, etc.

Old 12-19-2016, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDL View Post
You are very fortunate (two counties instead of one). I have always appreciated the services libraries provide. And I think CLT's library system is something to be proud of, and to brag on.
If you're in Gaston County, I think that you can get a Kings Mountain card, if you have the Gaston card. if you saw an event that caught your fancy. Note that the Kings Mountain library is a city department.

Old 12-20-2016, 02:51 AM

145 posts, read 155,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Essequamvideri View Post
You should follow the advice of your first sentence. Plaza midwood is safe and is very walker friendly. Whether you feel safe or not doesn't matter. Many of you live a life of fear anyway so I would guess you're scared most of the time. Back up your assumptions with some facts or data - otherwise stop spreading fear.
The Police that work the Plaza midwood area just fell on the floor laughing at the statement that plaza midwood is a safe area. Enjoy your fake life and paying too much for a shoebox home in crime ridden plaza midwood. Any doubt look at the school ratings and talk to the folks that have a home that backs up to a alley where there is a big problem with break ins.

Old 12-20-2016, 04:14 AM

3,774 posts, read 8,191,456 times
A lot of ignorance on full display here. Trump's America, isn't it great!

Two crime maps:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte